Windows Up & AC On vs Windows Down - can the Leaf test this?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonT

I'm sure you're all familiar with the debate over which is better - driving with the windows up and the AC on, or the windows down and the AC off. My understanding is that it really depends on the car, the speed, and the conditions.

I was wondering if the instrumentation on the Leaf is precise enough that one could test this on their own without any additional gadgets. The thought I had was this: Find a flat, straight stretch of road that you can go whatever range of speeds you want to test. Set the cruise control to a speed and run whichever test you want to run (Windows Up, Windows Up AC On, Windows Down). Go back to the beginning of the stretch, and repeat for the other tests. You could then go down or up in speeds for additional data points.

I see that the Energy Usage screen does give the current (hah) kW draw, but the information is given in an "analog" format instead of a straight digital display. This makes it trickier, but I would imagine one could still get a good idea of what their windows up/down point was.

So would this work? Is the information given to the driver granular enough for this test to work? Would the instant miles/kWh gauge work better for this? I am (hopefully) getting my car in April, but until then I have to rely on the kindness of strangers for these kind of things :)

Sounds like a good idea for my son's science fair project. Yet another reason for my wife to let me buy the LEAF, so that my older son and I can conduct "experiments" together. :lol:

abasile said:
Yet another reason for my wife to let me buy the LEAF, so that my older son and I can conduct "experiments" together. :lol:
Hah, yeah, good luck on that one. "Honey, we need to spend $35,000... FOR SCIENCE!"

GeekEV said:
The Mythbusters tested this in one of their episodes and revisited it the next season.
Yeah, I remember watching one (or both) of those episodes. It's been done by numerous people I'm sure - another one was The Straight Dope

Being that I currently have a convertible which has the top down about 95% of the year, I'm very curious what my "windows down" spot will be. I've gotten the impression it's around 45/50MPH in most vehicles, but I would love to know it instead of just guessing. Plus, it just sounds like a fun thing to try :)

Well if I had to guess
I would say for the LEAF the use of AC will use more power then the air drag will cause the engine to draw more.
What ya think?

Done plenty of both and the #1 factor by far; driver preference.

I don't care what is more efficient. Some days I just want the wind in my hair

Back