Editing the Nav Stored Locations via SD Card

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got in contact with the Nissan Nav team in US. They contacted Nissan Japan about being able to edit the POI data to import into the car.

It turns out that unfortunately the Address book import/export feature was only design to be for transferring data between Leafs. It was not designed to be externally edited on PC. They have added this for a suggestion (an obvious one IMO) for the next Leaf model. But for now, my hack work around is about as good as you can get for that.

The also put me in touch with the Navteq people who handle the Leaf Nav POI database. I am following up with them about populating the database with locations I have in my database. Hopefully at least this way we can get the data direct into the car nav.

I will also continue to improve my system and calibration to eventually have an editor for location data.

-Jeff

EVNation said:
You will then have 17 new locations added to any you have saved. Every time you import, it just adds to what is there. You can clear the address book by selecting "Settings/Navigation/AddressBook/Delete Stored Locations"

Let me know if you have problems trying this.
Where should I see the imported locations - in "Saved Locations" ? Not happening ... I only see the couple of addresses (including home) that I've already stored.

evnow said:
EVNation said:
You will then have 17 new locations added to any you have saved. Every time you import, it just adds to what is there. You can clear the address book by selecting "Settings/Navigation/AddressBook/Delete Stored Locations"

Let me know if you have problems trying this.
Where should I see the imported locations - in "Saved Locations" ? Not happening ... I only see the couple of addresses (including home) that I've already stored.

Yes, once you import, if the import went ok, you should see them in saved locations. Were you able to do the import and it said they imported OK?

EVNation said:
Yes, once you import, if the import went ok, you should see them in saved locations. Were you able to do the import and it said they imported OK?
Yes - the import said ok.

Infact, it is a little confusing. I tried importing a few times. One of the times, before importing I deleted all the stored locations and imported. But after all these imports, I can only see 2 locations I had previously stored. Not sure what is happening.

BTW, do you know if the SD card has other things apart from the slc file, would it have some problems (even though the message said import was successful). That wil be my next experiment ...

evnow said:
EVNation said:
Yes - the import said ok.

Infact, it is a little confusing. I tried importing a few times. One of the times, before importing I deleted all the stored locations and imported. But after all these imports, I can only see 2 locations I had previously stored. Not sure what is happening.

BTW, do you know if the SD card has other things apart from the slc file, would it have some problems (even though the message said import was successful). That wil be my next experiment ...

I bet you accidentally exported your locations first. That would overwrite the custom storedlocations.slc file. Then when you import it would just bring your two back. Look at the card on your pc and you should see a "userdata" folder with a storedlocation.slc file. Copy that somewhere safe so you can restore it. Then blast that file with my custom one. Then import into your car.

There is also a "homelocation.hlc" file that stores your homelocation and stsfile that just has a word in it. I am unsure as to its purpose.

EVNation said:
I bet you accidentally exported your locations first. That would overwrite the custom storedlocations.slc file. Then when you import it would just bring your two back. Look at the card on your pc and you should see a "userdata" folder with a storedlocation.slc file. Copy that somewhere safe so you can restore it. Then blast that file with my custom one. Then import into your car.
That is what I thought as well - so even downloaded the file again from your website, copied that onto the SD and imported it. The file goes into the root of the SD, right ?

ps : I also opened the file and checked - it does have 17 locations, as you say.

evnow said:
EVNation said:
That is what I thought as well - so even downloaded the file again from your website, copied that onto the SD and imported it. The file goes into the root of the SD, right ?

ps : I also opened the file and checked - it does have 17 locations, as you say.

I think my file has to go into a "userdata" folder on the SD card. That is where the car looks for it.

EVNation said:
I think my file has to go into a "userdata" folder on the SD card. That is where the car looks for it.
Ok, that I guess is the problem. I'll update once I try it again ...

As expected, the import worked fine and is showing all the 17 locations.

BTW, I had also stored Rairdon's earlier - so here is the comparison.

Code:
47.338402,-122.220001,0,00,00,00,526169646F6E204E697373616E00,00,-1551855391,69,490,,,,,0,0,-1,0,1,44,0,-1,3000,-1,4294967295,65535,65535

47.338889,-122.221111,0,00,00,00,33355448205354204E4500,00,-1551855392,1882,556,,,,,0,0,-1,0,1,0,0,-1,3000,-1,4294967295,65535,65535

garygid said:
These two positions seem to be about 300 to 400 feet apart, right?
Not sure. I don't remember how I stored the location (whether it was infront of the charger or using carwings route planner).

evnow said:

Code:
47.338402,-122.220001,0,00,00,00,526169646F6E204E697373616E00,00,-1551855391,69,490,,,,,0,0,-1,0,1,44,0,-1,3000,-1,4294967295,65535,65535

47.338889,-122.221111,0,00,00,00,33355448205354204E4500,00,-1551855392,1882,556,,,,,0,0,-1,0,1,0,0,-1,3000,-1,4294967295,65535,65535

The good news is it looks like my geocode is working correct. The difference is your location is just more accurate since you did it right from the charge station and I have it from Google map search. So I can use your data as a refinement. Thanks.

EVNation said:
evnow said:

Code:

The good news is it looks like my geocode is working correct. The difference is your location is just more accurate since you did it right from the charge station and I have it from Google map search. So I can use your data as a refinement. Thanks.

Hi! There are any new news? It turned out to make a program to generate the file storedlocations.slc?

I'll introduce myself - I'm Steve from Madison, Wisconsin. I'm a web developer, and a couple months ago, my wife and I finally received our Leaf.
I putz around in the garage with bikes, welding, cars, boats, house projects and basically anything else that tickles my fancy. Blah blah blah - that's me. :p

I threw together a little Drupal website for our local Leaf Owner's Club - http://madison.leafers.org
Huge thanks to EVNation for getting the ball rolling on this thread - I've put my head to it for the past few days and I think I've made something cool!

http://madison.leafers.org/chargers

At first glance, it's nothing too special, but the points on the map came directly from our Leaf address book backup.

Leaf->Site:
* Put SD in Leaf - Export address book
* Put card in computer or smartphone
* Go to website and upload the file
* New chargers are automatically added to the site
- Your home charger is removed from the data
- Non-charger points of interest are ignored

Site->Leaf: (currently not built)
* Navigate the map to an area and click a download link
* Save the file to an SD card in the correct location so the Leaf can read it
* Put card into Leaf and Import the backup

This might duplicate records if you already have chargers logged, so the best way to handle it would be to first upload your existing backup, then download a backup with either:
New points you don't already have (import without clearing first)
or All your existing points plus new ones (clear address book and import)

Here's a list of the fields and what I think they do - further backups from more Leafs will tell for sure on some of them.
I have no idea yet what fields with numbers do.
Code:
array (
  'lat',
  'lon',
  'group', (personal preference - not very useful)
  'phone_number',
  'name_custom', (when you rename a record in the Leaf, it goes here)
  'street', (street name as found on Leaf)
  'street_number', (address number)
  'leaf_location_1',  (these three are the Leaf's internal location data, which are not easily generated from a lat/lon (they're compiled map codes)
  'leaf_location_2',
  'leaf_location_3',
  'charger_type', (0=not a charger, 1=L2, 2=quick charger)
  17, (my home loc had a 0 here, all others had a 1 - need more backups to confirm anything more about that)
  'icon', (internal icon code - 44=normal charger, 30=restaurant, etc)
  'distance', (distance + 2000 from point at which the sound plays)
  'direction', (not at all sure what this does in the car)
)

Eventually, I'd like to have anyone/everyone be able to upload/download location backups. The Navigation system in the Leaf is really quite good - all it needs is up-to-date charger data!
Another hope for the future is a smartphone app to sync address book data onto a microSD card.

Anyway, let me know what you think so far, and PM me some backups if you want to help out - they will provide some test data for building out the next features - especially filtering by location.

This thread is interesting!

I have a basic background q. to this: How do you download the data to an sdcard? How do you upload the modified data?

Do you a second sdcard (the right slot has currently the original sdcard that came up with the car) in the left slot for this? Has card to be preformatted? Or does the sw in the car auto format it? Perhaps all of these basics are covered in another thread here? Could somebody please point me that way? Thank you.

I'm sorry if you know this already. But if you copy and paste 34.009722,-118.489722 into google maps it will show you in the world where its located. In your case these co-ordinates are at 1807-1821 Main St Santa Monica, CA 90401, USA. This is my first attempt at posting in this Forum. Be kind. LOL

I guess this is the best thread to continue the quest for the bast charge station finder integrated.

Since I got a 2013, it looks like some charge stations, like AFAICT ChargePoint, will report their usage to the Nav system now. But the flaw on the LEAF is still it only more or less talks to Aeronvironment (self_ and ChargePoint. In this area many if not most of the stations are on the SemaConnect network, which happens to be a local company, and now NRG eVgo is big in this region too with a lot of CHAdeMO units popping up around here. None of those stations are being pushed to the LEAF by Nissan, never mind their charging status. So being able to load them into your car automatically so you don't have to drive round and round trying to find one is a major bonus!

Seconds, isn't the closest "distance" you can set 300m? That's what I always use (I have my LEAF set to metric). Why are you calculating the distance plus 2km? Or do you mean 2000 ft which is about 600m?

You think direction is n/2047*360 degrees?

And the last 3 values are clearly not used because they encode, respectively:

-1 (singed 32-bit)
-1 (signed 16-bit)
-1 (signed 16-bit)

And the wiki needs some serious updating.

I just transferred all the Address data from #CO2Fre1 2012 Nissan LEAF SL to my new leased 2013 LEAF SL and they seemed to import perfectly. Which is good because 2 years of charging stations would be a nightmare to try and re-input one-by-one. If we're still trying to collect these, I'd be happy to share some of my data, as long as you promise to redact the non-charging station addresses (or I may do so myself).

And as for the Charging Station flag, what is used for Trickle, what is used for CHAdeMO? I have some of each stored. Can someone post a formula/equation for the weird navigation data. I'm not surprised it doesn't contain altitude even though knowing which floor of a parking garage the EVSE was on would be handy, but if it is using that crazy grid can you express it in terms of x and y for longitude and latitude and a, b, c for the fields we're given?

2014-02-01 Edit 1: I just looked over the Direction data for my saved stations and 0 to 2047 is not the correct interpretation as I have some addresses with values greater than that. AFAICT it's much simpler, it's just the angle multiplied by 10, as in 270.0 degrees is written 2700.

I finished my python script except for parsing the Grid Data location which others who figured out the algorithm are no longer following this thread. You can see the Python code at https://svn.timehorse.com/public-repos/trunk/Code/NissanLEAF/parse_addresses.py" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would make a good back-end for a my web server with mod_python. But right now, can folks across the world do me a favor and give me the longitude, latitude, grid data, grid x and grid y for a set of addresses so I can see if I can parse this strange algorithm that takes a finite 2-dimensional construct and reduces it to a single dimension. Like, are South American numbers negative?

I wish I had my LEAF to test but it's currently FUBAR all because of a couple of shredded tyres. :(

Back