GM NA President Mark Reuss doesn't understand EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2011/05/05/gm-president-chats-with-nbj.html

Volt vs. Leaf

Bring up the all-electric Nissan Leaf, which will eventually be manufactured at the Nissan plant in Smyrna, and Reuss comes armed, ready to take his shots. Reuss said he doesn’t even consider the Leaf as competition with the super fuel-efficient Chevrolet Volt, a plug-in hybrid that has a gas engine that only directly provides power at high speeds.

“(The Leaf) has a finite range and requires infrastructure and charging to run it, where the Volt is really an extended-range electric vehicle,” he said. “The Volt can really be the only car you own. You better be living within a certain range for the Leaf. … It’s a lot different market, a lot different car and a completely different driver.

“I’m not sure if I’d put the leaf in the hands of my three kids,” he said. “Say, what if they can’t charge it? What if they get to school and can’t charge it? The Leaf is a single-purpose car.”

Apparently he thinks people send their kids to schools that are more than 40 miles away :lol: :lol:

I will let the actual Leaf and other EVs speak for themselves.
While I wish him the best I think Volt will be a rare collector car fairly soon.

He is just the typical aggressive nasty corp executive.. probably clawed his way up the corporate ladder.

Its unfortunate that he is taking a shot at Nissan, but he is comparing apples and oranges.. two totally different cars for two different needs. The Leaf is mostly intended as an in-town car (or a place like Japan or Israel, not LA).. I know many of you routinely get it on the hwy but range (and battery wear/tear) is affected strongly. You will not get 15 years out of the battery if you are cycling it close to 100% everyday, you probably wont even get 10 years.

If I wanted a car that could drive long distances, I would wait for the plugin Prius. Probably the best single car for someone in L.A. area that may drive both short to medium commutes and needs to drive long distances frequently as well. For a longer commute and little long distance driving, the Volt might be a better choice. For me, the Leaf is the perfect complement to my ICE car. It's good to have choices. GM shouldn't be trashing EV!

Get real, what did you expect ??

GM has spent almost a billion dollars developing the Volt. A big chunk of that was developing a dual gas/battery system from scratch.

He is competing against a car that is more fun to drive, and costs $10,000 less. To differentiate the more expensive car, and be worth the extra $10k, it is 'more than electric'.

He probably has developed a bad case of cognitive dissonance seeing last month's sales figures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

When that happens, it's a normal human response to solidify your position, no matter how unsustainable it might be.

What GM doesn't understand, is that a rising tide floats all boats.

GM and Nissan will be sharing an ever enlarging piece of pie. GM would do better if they try to make a bigger pie, rather than trying and failing to get a bigger share.

Back