Use Google Maps to program a destination in your Leaf's Navi

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to lobby for more location holding capacity then!

Sorry for the confusion, I meant destinations. So yes, the waypoints are very important. If it only takes destinations then the nav unit will calculate it's own route, which is not good.

nader said:
Time to lobby for more location holding capacity then!

Sorry for the confusion, I meant destinations. So yes, the waypoints are very important. If it only takes destinations then the nav unit will calculate it's own route, which is not good.
You could send 6 way points to the car (in the proper sequence) as destinations. Then as you reach each one of them, proceed to the next one. Since you will be spending quite some time in Tracy and Merced, there you could use your laptop/wireless device to upload the next 6 waypoints each time :p

garygid said:
Apparently Carwings "Google-Map" support holds the most recent 6 "locations" in a "stack", with no way to erase or clear them. The most recently added location is at the top of the stack.
<snip>
Doing an auto-sync at power on does not change the story much.
Yeah, I read the 6 locations thing and thought I understood it. I was ok with "dealing with" all 6, if it only played auto-played the stack if there were new items. Since it does not do that, it seems to me that the only people who would want to auto-sync would be people who are constantly putting new items in that stack. Since I only plan to use it occasionally, it looks as if auto-sync is not for me.

nader said:
I'm still not fully following you. Your link has 3 "destinations" and... 12 waypoints. Your original post said that the waypoints are not important but the route is. So now you're saying the destinations aren't important, but the ... waypoints are? or???

If the three "Destinations" (which would be put in the Leaf as "waypoints") are the important part then no problem. You can do those directly through the Leaf or through the Carwings website. You just can't do it through directly through Google maps as one trip/route/whatever. You could send the three destinations separately to the Leaf from Google Maps, and then load up each destination as desired.

If however, you truly need all 12 waypoints in addition to the 3 destinations, you will need to break the trip into legs, and program each of those legs into the Leaf (or send them 6 at a time as destinations, like LEAFer suggested)

5.A window will pop-up defaulting to sending the directions to an email address. In the left column, click on the second option 'Car'
I don't have a "Car" option on the pop up. The only option I see is EMAIL. What am I doing wrong?

So I tried this this past weekend. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong...
I used google to send a location to the car using step 1B in the OP.
The address got to the car no problem. But then what? No matter what I did, I couldn't set it as the destination! What the hell good is that? it just kept "playing" the address over and over, it showed a pin on the map, but that was all I could do with it. I was 30 miles away, and it was not easy trying to navigate by zooming in and out to see where I was at in relation and figure out which way to go.

jcesare said:
I don't have a "Car" option on the pop up. The only option I see is EMAIL. What am I doing wrong?
You have to sign in to Google to see the other options.

turbo2ltr said:
It just kept "playing" the address over and over, it showed a pin on the map, but that was all I could do with it.
The trick is to hit "Pause" while it is playing - then you get the option to set it as a destination.

turbo2ltr said:
So I tried this this past weekend. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong...
I used google to send a location to the car using step 1B in the OP.
The address got to the car no problem. But then what? No matter what I did, I couldn't set it as the destination! What the hell good is that? it just kept "playing" the address over and over, it showed a pin on the map, but that was all I could do with it. I was 30 miles away, and it was not easy trying to navigate by zooming in and out to see where I was at in relation and figure out which way to go.
i was confused about it first as well, but then discovered that trick was to Pause it first.

'Pause' is definitely it. I'll add the sign-in requirement to see 'car' to post #1.

On the side, I haven't found a solution to the automated thing where sometimes it'll keep pop'ing up..so I, too, have disabled the automated feed retrieval/play for now. Realistically, I don't use the functionality often so it's not a big deal in my circumstance...

seems to be no rhyme or reason to why sometimes it plays and other times it doesn't...

JasonT said:
jcesare said:
You have to sign in to Google to see the other options.

Actually I was logged in. After checking Google for a solution, I found out this is a common problem. You need to do an address search and use the "Search Map" button. If you go directly to "get directions" only the email option appears. I misread your instructions.

It is a nice, convenient, slick feature to add up to 6 new addresses to your Carwings account, which you can later transfer to your LEAF, if you so desire.

If a friend knows your Carwings account's ID (bad choice for security?), they can easily send your Carwings an address or two as well.

I was really happy when I followed the instructions and it worked.

Now.. I want to make it stop. Really. Thanks, don't need that destination any more.

Every single time I start my car, it reminds me of my previous (and only) google destination and reads it to me three times. I have removed "Car Route 1" from the list in Carwings. I've hit "Done".

How do I make it stop?

"Once you press delete, this deletes ALL of the feeds you've previously downloaded to your car (including your Google Maps Route Destinations). It however *does not* delete them from your Carwings account. As such, the next time you update the feeds (manual or auto), you will re-download the feeds you just deleted if you haven't sent new ones to your account up to a maximum of 6 feeds before they auto-delete"

So I have to delete them both in the car and on the Carwings dash?
The Carwings Feed dash isn't the most self-explanatory place to hang out either.. What is all this stuff? "ID Check"?

GroundLoop said:
I was really happy when I followed the instructions and it worked.

Now.. I want to make it stop. Really. Thanks, don't need that destination any more.

Every single time I start my car, it reminds me of my previous (and only) google destination and reads it to me three times. I have removed "Car Route 1" from the list in Carwings. I've hit "Done".
I'm with you on that. I got sick of it reminding me after we'd already gone there.

How do I make it stop?
I got so angry trying to make it go away, I deleted all Feeds and changed "download them automatically on start up" to "Never," deleted all Favorites, and every incidence of the route in Destinations or the Address Book. That finally stopped the annoying reminders of an obsolete notification. I won't be using this trick again. I'll just enter the address manually in the route planner.

TT

But then how will I get my Engadget RSS feed update? :)

Yeah, I had to purge the entire machine of feeds to silence the damn thing.
There needs to be a "Yup, Got it. Thanks. Delete now. Don't download this again." button.

This whole thing is kindof weirdly half-baked. Like the ideas are great, some parts of the UI are really slick, the moving parts are all in there somewhere --- but nobody actually tried to use it.

How does this crap get through Beta test?

Dammit, they're back! Terminator is easier to get rid of.

Every time I start the car, it's reading me my old destinations, AGAIN.. And three times, at that.. "Chicken Ranch", "Chicken Ranch", "Chicken Ranch".

WARNING to all who try this trick -- much like the Chicken Ranch, you may end up with a souvenir you can't remove.

I may end up going to the dealer over this, "feature".

GroundLoop said:
Dammit, they're back! Terminator is easier to get rid of.
Nah, this is easy, just turn off automatic downloads.

Menu -> Carwings -> Carwings Settings -> Information Feed Settings -> Download Automatically -> Select Download Interval -> Never

this was a bust, as noted by several folks, above.

So I tried the similar tool in the carwings program. spent about an hour programming 6 routes to and from (mostly from) work to home.
sent them to the car, I thought.
But I cant seem to fetch them.

I will be working on it this day in the commute home.
My fall-back position is to use the touch screen function of the range tool.
that seems to give me easy variation of the two freeway routes home.
I am mostly interested in getting the traffic report.

Back