matth
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 11:35 am
Delivery Date: 9- 0-2011
Location: Berkeley, CA

New PG&E EV rate schedule

Fri May 31, 2013 7:30 pm

As a participant in the last round of PG&E's EV rate rulemaking, I got a notice today that they are implementing their new EV rate. As I recall, they agreed to make that rate mandatory only for new entrants, and allowed everyone on E-1A and E-1B to stay on those rates for the moment (my big gripe with the new EV rate is that it removes tiers, and therefore removes incentives for conservation). I don't see anything in the current announcement that make it clear that anyone can stay on E-1.

Does anyone see that, one way or the another, in the announcement?
White, SL/QC
Blink EVSE
Delivery estimate 8/2011
Actual delivery 9/17/11

oakwcj
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:01 am
Delivery Date: 19 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2441
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: New PG&E EV rate schedule

Fri May 31, 2013 9:13 pm

matth wrote:As a participant in the last round of PG&E's EV rate rulemaking, I got a notice today that they are implementing their new EV rate. As I recall, they agreed to make that rate mandatory only for new entrants, and allowed everyone on E-1A and E-1B to stay on those rates for the moment (my big gripe with the new EV rate is that it removes tiers, and therefore removes incentives for conservation). I don't see anything in the current announcement that make it clear that anyone can stay on E-1.

Does anyone see that, one way or the another, in the announcement?


I think you mean "E-9A and E-9B." The CPUC order made it clear that those currently on either E-9 rate can stay on it until it completes its next general rate review, which should be sometime next year.

If you don't have a PV system, it's probably a no-brainer to stay on E-9. However, if you do have solar, it isn't so clear, because the newly instituted winter peak period will generate credits. I did a quick comparison, using my bills for the past year, and I would come out about $20 ahead on the EV-A rate. Has anyone else with a solar installation run a comparison?
Cayenne Red SL-e
Blink Installed 6/23/11

User avatar
Spies
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:22 am
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0255
Location: Foster City, CA

Re: New PG&E EV rate schedule

Fri May 31, 2013 9:23 pm

oakwcj wrote:I did a quick comparison, using my bills for the past year, and I would come out about $20 ahead on the EV-A rate. Has anyone else with a solar installation run a comparison?
I only recently got solar, in fact less than a month, but I have done some rough estimates comparing E9A and EVA with and without solar as I have been on E9A for years. For me E9A was much better without solar as I typically only went into the third tier each month. However now that I have solar EVA may actually turn out to be better for me just like you. The nice part is now that I have a smartmeter and solar installed I will have enough data to make an informed decision before I have to make a rate change.
Green Honda EV Plus 02/1998-12/2003 plate "ZERO CO2" rip, Aptera 2e #726 canceled
Blue Nissan Leaf SL loaded reserved 04/20/2010 ordered 08/31/2010 EVSE Blink #182
CARWINGS Nickname Theres233, should be Spies

User avatar
Spies
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:22 am
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0255
Location: Foster City, CA

Re: New PG&E EV rate schedule

Fri May 31, 2013 9:31 pm

I should add that there was a time when E9A or E9B rate was mandatory for someone to charge a vehicle at home. That requirement was removed some time ago, however one cannot change their rate more than once every 12 months.
Green Honda EV Plus 02/1998-12/2003 plate "ZERO CO2" rip, Aptera 2e #726 canceled
Blue Nissan Leaf SL loaded reserved 04/20/2010 ordered 08/31/2010 EVSE Blink #182
CARWINGS Nickname Theres233, should be Spies

User avatar
Spies
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:22 am
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0255
Location: Foster City, CA

Re: New PG&E EV rate schedule

Fri May 31, 2013 9:59 pm

matth wrote:I don't see anything in the current announcement that make it clear that anyone can stay on E-1.

Does anyone see that, one way or the another, in the announcement?
Well it still says one can stay on the old rate according to the following PG&E page http://www.pge.com/myhome/environment/w ... teoptions/
When Schedule EV becomes available, customers taking service on either option of the E-9 schedule may choose to stay on that rate schedule, or move to the new EV rate schedule. If no choice is made, they will remain on the E-9 rate until at least the end of 2014*, at which point they will transition to the new EV rate.
Green Honda EV Plus 02/1998-12/2003 plate "ZERO CO2" rip, Aptera 2e #726 canceled
Blue Nissan Leaf SL loaded reserved 04/20/2010 ordered 08/31/2010 EVSE Blink #182
CARWINGS Nickname Theres233, should be Spies

matth
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 11:35 am
Delivery Date: 9- 0-2011
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: New PG&E EV rate schedule

Fri May 31, 2013 11:09 pm

Thanks. So PG&E has documented that we can stay on E9-A. (yes, I had the moniker wrong)

Spies wrote:
matth wrote:I don't see anything in the current announcement that make it clear that anyone can stay on E-1.

Does anyone see that, one way or the another, in the announcement?
Well it still says one can stay on the old rate according to the following PG&E page http://www.pge.com/myhome/environment/w ... teoptions/
When Schedule EV becomes available, customers taking service on either option of the E-9 schedule may choose to stay on that rate schedule, or move to the new EV rate schedule. If no choice is made, they will remain on the E-9 rate until at least the end of 2014*, at which point they will transition to the new EV rate.


I think PG&E has missed a process point as to what happens at the end of 2014. They don't have approval from the PUC to force everybody onto EV. For me, and probably for lots of others, EV may be so disadvantageous that I will move back to E-1, though I have not yet run the #s. It basically moves me from off peak at ~$0.04 and peak of ~$0.30 to off peak of ~$.10 and peak of ~$.37, if I remember their #s correctly. E-1 would put me at closer to an average of $0.14.

This is a little OT, but do you all find it surprising that PG&E's non generation costs/KWH are higher than some utilities total costs/KWH?!
White, SL/QC
Blink EVSE
Delivery estimate 8/2011
Actual delivery 9/17/11

oakwcj
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:01 am
Delivery Date: 19 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2441
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: New PG&E EV rate schedule

Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:55 am

Spies wrote:
oakwcj wrote:I did a quick comparison, using my bills for the past year, and I would come out about $20 ahead on the EV-A rate. Has anyone else with a solar installation run a comparison?
I only recently got solar, in fact less than a month, but I have done some rough estimates comparing E9A and EVA with and without solar as I have been on E9A for years. For me E9A was much better without solar as I typically only went into the third tier each month. However now that I have solar EVA may actually turn out to be better for me just like you. The nice part is now that I have a smartmeter and solar installed I will have enough data to make an informed decision before I have to make a rate change.


Unfortunately, PG&E took my smartmeter away when I had solar installed, and neither PG&E nor its contractor, Wellington Energy, will give me as much as an estimate of when they will put in a new smartmeter. This makes it more difficult to figure out the net difference between E9-A and EV-A.
Cayenne Red SL-e
Blink Installed 6/23/11

wwhitney
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: New PG&E EV rate schedule

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:40 am

oakwcj wrote:Unfortunately, PG&E took my smartmeter away when I had solar installed, and neither PG&E nor its contractor, Wellington Energy, will give me as much as an estimate of when they will put in a new smartmeter. This makes it more difficult to figure out the net difference between E9-A and EV-A.


See viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11857&start=10#p274035 for my experience in Berkeley. Perhaps Oakland is different?

Cheers, Wayne

oakwcj
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:01 am
Delivery Date: 19 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2441
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: New PG&E EV rate schedule

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:49 am

wwhitney wrote:
oakwcj wrote:Unfortunately, PG&E took my smartmeter away when I had solar installed, and neither PG&E nor its contractor, Wellington Energy, will give me as much as an estimate of when they will put in a new smartmeter. This makes it more difficult to figure out the net difference between E9-A and EV-A.


See viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11857&start=10#p274035 for my experience in Berkeley. Perhaps Oakland is different?

Cheers, Wayne


They are deploying by territory. I called PG&E after I read your post. They passed the buck to Wellington. Wellington told me it was entirely up to PG&E. Par for the course. I didn't bother calling PG&E back.
Cayenne Red SL-e
Blink Installed 6/23/11

EricBayArea
Posts: 672
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:41 am
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: New PG&E EV rate schedule

Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:18 pm

I am part of the email too. I'm glad I'll be staying on E-9a until the end of 2014 because the current EV schedule may be worse than me going back to E-1
Color: Cayenne Red
Plate: I PLGIN

Return to “Utilities”