2020 SL Plus acting strange below 50%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenantler

Hello all! We've had our 2020 SL Plus since August 2021 when it had 10k miles on it. It now has just over 70k and has recently started having erratic range and SOC% reported on the dash. It will quickly drop from 120 mi to 35 mi (within 30 seconds, less than a mile distance) and the SOC% reported drops from over 50% to 25% in the same timeframe. Letting off the pedal seems to cause it to rush back up, but it immediately begins to drop again with any acceleration.

Leafspy during this time reports the SOC% to be much higher. Is this a sign of a battery or cells failing? I've attached a leafspy screenshot, and corresponding image of the dash from the same time. Note that the photo with a higher SOC and range was taken AFTER the other.

Attachments

• Leafspy.jpg
    Leafspy.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 1
  • First.jpg
    First.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • second.jpg
    second.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Additional shots on the way home today. After turning off the car, LeafSpy indicated several weak cells. This was a total round trip drive of about 25 miles. Left home with 126 miles of range.

Attachments

• IMG_8317.PNG
    IMG_8317.PNG
    304.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8315 copy.jpg
    IMG_8315 copy.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8319.PNG
    IMG_8319.PNG
    171.2 KB · Views: 0
I don't know why it's flagging that many as "weak", but the real problem is around cells #50/#51...which happen to be in the same module. I also don't know what it took so many miles to show up...which may mean further decline may be slow (but that's just a guess). You might want to see how cells #12/#13 age before doing anything, but they are in different modules (which creates a bigger problem). If it's done under warranty, it will be interesting to see if they just replace the whole pack because those 2 areas are in 2 different module stacks (usually the problem is confined to 1 stack).

Well, after a week at the dealership, they've confirmed it is the battery and will need to be replaced. They've ordered one, and have zero ETA when one might become available.

Well, after a week at the dealership, they've confirmed it is the battery and will need to be replaced. They've ordered one, and have zero ETA when one might become available.
My 2018 had the same issues, dealer recommended I call Nissan Comsumers affairs, battery arrived in about a week and installed in 2 days, now I have 170 to 180 mile range on 40 kwh battery

Back