2022 40kwh Range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fingermouseirl

Range question for you guys. I have a new 40kwh 2022 Leaf and my maximum range I've had in the two months of ownership was around 180km (Ireland). City/town driving for the most part so 50kmph max, with a short school run and to the shops, with eco mode and epedal on. With the colder weather this week here in Ireland (-2c to 4c), I've had a max of 140km range on a full charge. It seems on the lower end of what's expected, even being very frugal with climate control. Tyre pressure is showing 33psi/230kpa in the mornings.

I've read so many forum posts and Facebook group posts where people are getting upwards of 210km range even with colder weather. Is my Leaf unusual in its range or would 140 - 160km max range be common?

Welcome. I think that if you increase the tire pressure to 40psi (cold) you will see a noticeable increase in range. The 36psi that Nissan suggests is too low for best range (and even for best tire wear), so 33psi is far too low.

johnlocke said:
Try turning off E-pedal and driving without it. Some people find that helps with mileage.

I agree. Especially if you do a lot of highway driving, just using Eco mode (to reduce heater consumption) is usually best.

fingermouseirl said:
Range question for you guys. I have a new 40kwh 2022 Leaf and my maximum range I've had in the two months of ownership was around 180km (Ireland). City/town driving for the most part so 50kmph max, with a short school run and to the shops, with eco mode and epedal on. With the colder weather this week here in Ireland (-2c to 4c), I've had a max of 140km range on a full charge. It seems on the lower end of what's expected, even being very frugal with climate control. Tyre pressure is showing 33psi/230kpa in the mornings.

I've read so many forum posts and Facebook group posts where people are getting upwards of 210km range even with colder weather. Is my Leaf unusual in its range or would 140 - 160km max range be common?

There are a couple of things that will help. First, your tyre pressure. If you look at the side-walls on those tyres, they should have a max PSI / kPa listed. If they max at 44 PSI / 300 kPa, then consider raising them to at least 40 PSI / 275 kPa. If the tyres max at around 50 PSI / 345 kPa, you have some more room for air, try to keep them at 44 PSI / 303 kpA instead. This benefits low speed driving the most (under 55 mph / 88 kph). The next step is check what kind of tyres you have. If they are LRR (low rolling resistance) this will be a big help with higher air pressure. If they are just run-of-the-mill tyres, then the higher air pressure will still help, just not as much. If they are high-grip sport tyres, well the higher pressure will help a little, every bit counts. :lol:

Next is maximizing your climate control. A lot of people just flip on the auto mode and set the temperature (my wife is like that) and it does work fine, but if you are more into manually controlling your cabin temperature, you can actually save quite a bit of energy by just manually setting the fan speed to a lower amount, cycle the cabin air instead of using fresh air (because it takes more energy to heat up fresh air), and setting the temperature a little lower to make you comfortable that you aren't choking on cold air, but that the seat warmer or steering wheel heater can make up for some of the heating as they use a lot less power.

Finally, driving style. If you do a lot of city driving like myself, I try to use maximize regen settings to save energy and my brake pads at the same time. :lol: If you have more a long country road, very little traffic kind of drive, then just trying to keep the speed limit with gentle acceleration and braking goes a long way towards range. If you want to play stop-light champion (which is always tempting in an EV and instant torque), that also eats into the range. :cool:

knightmb said:
fingermouseirl said:

There are a couple of things that will help. First, your tyre pressure. If you look at the side-walls on those tyres, they should have a max PSI / kPa listed. If they max at 44 PSI / 300 kPa, then consider raising them to at least 40 PSI / 275 kPa. If the tyres max at around 50 PSI / 345 kPa, you have some more room for air, try to keep them at 44 PSI / 303 kpA instead. This benefits low speed driving the most (under 55 mph / 88 kph). The next step is check what kind of tyres you have. If they are LRR (low rolling resistance) this will be a big help with higher air pressure. If they are just run-of-the-mill tyres, then the higher air pressure will still help, just not as much. If they are high-grip sport tyres, well the higher pressure will help a little, every bit counts. :lol:

Next is maximizing your climate control. A lot of people just flip on the auto mode and set the temperature (my wife is like that) and it does work fine, but if you are more into manually controlling your cabin temperature, you can actually save quite a bit of energy by just manually setting the fan speed to a lower amount, cycle the cabin air instead of using fresh air (because it takes more energy to heat up fresh air), and setting the temperature a little lower to make you comfortable that you aren't choking on cold air, but that the seat warmer or steering wheel heater can make up for some of the heating as they use a lot less power.

Finally, driving style. If you do a lot of city driving like myself, I try to use maximize regen settings to save energy and my brake pads at the same time. :lol: If you have more a long country road, very little traffic kind of drive, then just trying to keep the speed limit with gentle acceleration and braking goes a long way towards range. If you want to play stop-light champion (which is always tempting in an EV and instant torque), that also eats into the range. :cool:

Thanks for that reply, lots of good info there. I've raised my tyre pressure, for now, to 38psi, actually getting 37 on the dash. I'll take a proper look at the tyres to see what their max psi is. They're Goodyear 17" that come as standard on the 2022 SVE model over here.

Climate-wise, I'm being as frugal as possible with that. Other than turning on the defroster to clear the windscreen while driving, I'm not using Auto settings or the the heating. I have the heated driver seat switched on instead. I have the fan speed set to low as well and have the recirculation air option switched on.

Like you, most of my driving is town/city based so a maximum speed of 50kmph (about 30mph) and I try to limit my acceleration as much as possible. Using B-mode, eco and epedal pretty much all the time. I've read there isn't much, if any, difference between regen on the various modes but I figured I couldn't go too far wrong by using all three modes together.

Temperature here for the last week or so has been around -2c to 2c (28f to 35f) and I've noticed my percentage usage on the dash to be dropping pretty fast. So far from full charge I've driven 40km and used 31%. My GoM is telling me I have 158km left, but I think I'll be lucky to get 125km total driving from this charge. Like I said before, the range seems very small for a brand new 2022 Leaf but maybe I'm being naive. Looking at various sources online before I bought the car, people were mentioning winter ranges of about 180km on the 40kwh Leaf and I thought that sounded ok and not too drastic.

Winter ranges are like Summer ranges, in that people driving in town will get much higher numbers than those driving in mixed highway and city driving, while those driving 65+ MPH on the freeway will get by far the worst range. Try to compare apples to apples, IOW look for posts from people who drive in conditions as much like yours as possible.

Range is also affected by hills.. if you have a lot of high gradient roads to climb like I do. On the plus side, I've noted NEGATIVE consumption when going down some of the steep long hills near where I live! The worst for me is highway driving at 60-70mph with wet conditions with heating and AC (to clear moisture from screen) and slight inclines as the motorway climbs up hills gradually; that kills range.

Keep an eye on energy consumption (miles / kWh) as you complete each journey and make adjustments each time to see if they improve efficiency?
The Nissan app seems to report miles / kWh quite well for my journeys, and you might want to use Leaf Spy Pro app with a OBD2 dongle to dig deeper if needed.

Back