Any experience with insurance value for totaled Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyA

Greetings. My 2015 Leaf with 51000 miles I was involved in a hit and run accident and my insurance company has decided to total the car on my uninsured motorist coverage. Does anyone have an idea for a fair valuation I should expect? I fully expect the insurance company to lowball. I'm still waiting for the insurance offer.

Thanks
-Bill

My dad's 2013 SV Leaf got totaled and he got $8700 for it, IIRC. I think it had about 70k miles at that point. If memory serves, that was sometime in Spring 2023.

BillyA said:
Greetings. My 2015 Leaf with 51000 miles I was involved in a hit and run accident and my insurance company has decided to total the car on my uninsured motorist coverage. Does anyone have an idea for a fair valuation I should expect? I fully expect the insurance company to lowball. I'm still waiting for the insurance offer.

Thanks
-Bill

Our insurance company put, State Farm, treated us very well when an uninsured driver t-boned us and totaled our 2 year old leaf. They paid us enough to buy a new one for about $5000 less but after factoring in $7500 tax credit we came our $2500 ahead. Of course there’s no tax credit any more on a Leaf.

The other driver's insurance company really low-balled their initial offer (and subsequent offers) for my 2011. I had to negotiate hard with them over the course of several weeks to get a reasonable settlement because Nissan had replaced the battery so it was clearly worth more than other 2011's with deteriorated batteries. The comparable cars they presented as equivalents were not because they were SV (not SL) or they did not have the quick charge port. The insurance company even gave me information on cars with low sale prices the did not exist in attempt to justify their low offers.

On top of that, the insurance company's storage yard trashed the front of the car and the interior (was hit from behind while sitting at traffic light). I considered buying it back and converting to a small flat bed pickup until I saw the damage inflicted in storage. Unfortunately, I did not have enough evidence to go after the company for fraud.

Your insurance company will probably treat you better than the other driver's company did in my case. I hope you are treated fairly.

Back