Automatic lights

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmelons

I like to leave the light switch in 'automatic' mode, but as winter approaches and the sun is low in the sky most of the day I find myself driving along in what I judge to be broad daylight, with the sun visors down so that I am not blinded by the sun, but the car lights stay on and the instrument display is too dim to read.
Does anybody know the criteria which the automatic lights feature uses to decide whether or not the lights are on, and is any adjustment to the sensitivity possible?

I seem to recall a low-medium-high sensitivity setting in one of the menus for my 2018 Leaf. I must have mine set correctly, as the lights come on and go off more or less as they should.

redmelons said:
LeftieBiker said:
I seem to recall a low-medium-high sensitivity setting in one of the menus
There's no mention of it in the manual for my 2015. Perhaps I have a faulty sensor.

Here is what the 2018 Leaf manual says:

Vehicle Settings
The vehicle settings menu allows the user
to change the settings for the lights, locks
and wipers.
Menu Item Result
Lighting Displays the available lighting options.
Auto Room Lamp Allows user to turn the auto room lamp on or off
Light Sensitivity Allows user to change when the lights illuminate based on the brightness outside the vehicle.
Light Off Delay Allows user to change the duration of time that the automatic headlights stay on after the vehicle is
shut off.
(...)
Speed Dependent Allows user to turn the speed dependent feature on or off.
2-32 Instruments and controls

LeftieBiker said:
cwerdna said:
redmelons said:
but the car lights stay on and the instrument display is too dim to read.
Then turn up the instrument panel brightness.

The lights would still be too dim in daylight, as you can't get full brightness, IIRC, in Night mode.
That's not what I recall on my Leaf. I recall when cycling thru the brightness levels, the max is the same as in the daytime.

I had auto headlights on my former '13 Leaf SV w/both packages and I don't recall any sensitivity setting. I returned the car at end of lease over 5 years ago and my current Leaf doesn't have auto headlights.

I searched https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/LEAF/2015/2015-LEAF-owner-manual.pdf for sensi and found nothing related to auto headlight sensitivity. On/around page 2-42, I also see nothing about sensitivity, only delay. Might be a gen 2 feature...

For the 2013 SV, this is where that setting exist to auto control headlights and dash brightness.
The higher the light sensitivity (further setting to the right), the sooner the auto lights switch on during the day. If you set them further to the left, it has to be darker outside before all the lights switch on.

X55YP9z.jpg

knightmb said:
For the 2013 SV, this is where that setting exist to auto control headlights and dash brightness.
X55YP9z.jpg

Thanks for that knightmb - so there is a setting! On my 2015 Accenta it's just called 'Comfort'. It never occurred to me to look there for headlight sensitivity :D
The factory setting seems to be one only one dot from lowest sensitivity. I've move it fully to the left (lowest sensitivity) and will see if that makes any difference.

redmelons said:
Thanks for that knightmb - so there is a setting! On my 2015 Accenta it's just called 'Comfort'. It never occurred to me to look there for headlight sensitivity :D
The factory setting seems to be one only one dot from lowest sensitivity. I've move it fully to the left (lowest sensitivity) and will see if that makes any difference.

I hope it helps. The only reason I keep mine so high is because I do a lot of in town delivery driving and want my headlights to come on a little early for safety reasons. At the same time, it does make the dash go dark in the what seems to be near full daylight which is annoying, but it is just the compromise I make. I also make sure that my light sensor doesn't get covered in dust because that can trick the car into thinking it is darker than it really is, so check your sensor or clean it to help the car better see what the light conditions are.

Back