Axle Click or Other Source?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsevier

New owner of a 2014 Nissan Leaf with 64k miles. I notice that when taking off from a start (forward or reverse) or coming to a stop, I will hear a noticeable but not loud click from the front of the car. It sounds metallic, almost like an actuator of some sort. I have read about the axle click issue and read the Nisaan SB NTB12-055H. Is there a way to conclusively diagnose the axle as the source. Do disk pads shifting position in their holders make a similar noise? Just trying to not do a lot of extra work. Lastly, if the axles is the source of the clicking, is this a situation that is largely aesthetic or can it wear the axle interface. Thanks for your help!

I've had a similar issue on my 2017 Leaf since I bought it new in 2017. I don't know if it's the brake pads, axle or some sort of play inside the transmission but it hasn't changed in 5 1/2 years so I'm not worried about it.

Mine is a faint noise and is a single 'tick' when starting or stopping. It's not there all the time and if the windows are up or the radio is on I don't notice it.

My 2013 did this after 40K miles and so did my 2020 after 50K miles. I never did anything to both of them. I had a mechanic friend lift up my Leaf some time back to inspect it and he didn't see anything wrong. He also mentioned that you would probably replace the axle from wear before the clicking got to the point where it was causing some kind of mechanical damage. Doesn't mean you should ignore it if the clicking becomes more frequent than usual of course in case something really is wrong.

Thanks to you both for getting back. Mine is pretty pronounced but definitely tied to starting and stopping so will not worry about it for the time being. The irony is that I bought a '93 SAAB 9000 which needed some sort of repair every week to keep it running. I think with the change of the gear oil, cabin air filter, and brake fluid, I am good for a long time.

Back