Correction of speedometer through changing rolling ratio

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macgeeknz

I have an AZE0 and a ZE1 and both of their speedo's read over by approx 10%. From investigating this I've found that it appears to be a "factory standard" inaccuracy. The speedos are actually very precise; just inaccurate.

Both are baseline trim models (JDM 'S spec') and consequently neither of them have the +/- 2.5% speedo correction feature exposed via their nav units. As a side note, I would be super interested to know of anyone has tried capturing the CAN packets from the nav ECU to the VCM when adjusting that setting and then replaying it in a low-spec Leaf without the feature. Would it work on the S-trim VCM? Could you maybe even set the value to MORE than +/- 2.5% and it still works? Who knows... I haven't explored that idea yet.

For now I decided to take the mechanical approach and change the rolling ratio of the wheels and tyres on one of them. I bought my model year 2018 JDM Leaf with factory 16" steel rims (with plastic hubcaps) and running 205/55/16s. I used the excellent online tyre size calculator here [1] to determine that changing to 215/55/18s would give the +10% rolling ratio necessary to correct the speedo. However I was unsure if the larger tyres and rims would physically fit inside the guards without rubbing on the sides at full lock in either direction (and at full load, eg perhaps while under braking on a corner).

Well the good news is that I did buy some 18" used rims from a Nissan Skyline and it turns out that they fit great; plenty of clearance. They actually came with some used 215/45/18s fitted, so the rolling ratio is only +5% for now, but I can see from the clearances that it will definitely fit the larger (215/55/18) tyres which will fully correct the speedo once these ones are worn down.

So this posting is primarily for anyone who is looking to achieve the same, ie to let them know that they should be able to fit a +10% circumference with no problems so go ahead and buy something if that's what you want to do :)

L18.png

[1] Tyre Size Calculator

Our 2014 SV speedometer reads high by 2 mph across the range of speed limits (25-45 mph) in our common driving area. Once we figured that out it was easy to account for: speed limit 30 mph, drive 32 mph. Definitely not worth a new set of tires in my book, but if it works for you go for it.

Larger diameter wheels and tires will reduce efficiency and range. My 2023 Leaf SV+ seems to be only about 1 mph low at c. 50 mph, per GPS. I usually aim for about 55 mph under good rural road conditions, so I will set the adaptive cruise control for 56 mph, and that works fine.

Thank you RNM for that comment! I did realise the speedo is out on purpose, but I did not know that the odo is in fact still correct.

I am going to verify that on my own vehicle to be certain you are right first (with all respect to you - nothing personal, but I always verify :), but if you are correct on this point then it that would mean that I never incurred any ghost KMs at all (yay!). In fact it would mean that I am now 'ageing' the odo ~5% slower than it should be; an unintended consequence that makes me feel a little naughtly! But not enough to change it back ;-)

WRT to the other comment on economy and range, I can only say that I personally haven't noticed any difference at all. However I'm happy to admit that neither of those things are of any concern to me at all - my energy costs are dirt cheap here (efficiency doesn't matter) and I only charge my car once to twice a week (I have no range anxiety). I do know that the factory in Japan offer a 17" option which has a larger rolling ratio, so that's an interesting consideration.

Anyway, I'm super-glad that I made the change! It is so much better now having the speedo reading close to correct (and knowing it will be perfect at next tyre change). I'd definitely recommend it to anyone else who was considering the same.

We recently replaced the standard 205/55-16 tires with 215/55-16. The optional 17" wheels are for 215/50-17 tires which have the same "rolling ratio" as the 205/55-16 wheel and tire setup. Our new 215/55-16 tires are, going by the measurements, 10 mm wider and 5mm greater radius. The "correction" factor for the 10% speedometer error is barely measurable. The increase in the load index is from 89 to 97 which I am hoping will result in better tire mileage. We have no need to be obsessive about range. Nice thing is that we no longe need to run 40 psi but are using 36 psi (recommended) and the ride is better. We are not sweating the small stuff and will see how the tires work out.

Just bought an 2017 Nissan Leaf Tekna. This one had showed 10% to much speed. So when driving 100km/h on the meter, i was only driving 90km/h.
Changed the tyres from 215/50-R17 to 215/60-R17 crossclimate2 and now I'm only off by 1%. And the car looks nicer.
Please bare in mind that fitting snow chains might not be possible any more.

Attachments

• 20240129_115748.jpg
    20240129_115748.jpg
    9.4 MB · Views: 1
Just bought an 2017 Nissan Leaf Tekna. This one had showed 10% to much speed. So when driving 100km/h on the meter, i was only driving 90km/h.
Changed the tyres from 215/50-R17 to 215/60-R17 crossclimate2 and now I'm only off by 1%. And the car looks nicer.
I agree - those tyres look great on your factory rims; less gap definitely looks better :) Nice job.

@Dali0072 If you don't mind me asking, is that blue trim on the side of your headlights factory-standard, or is it some sort of addition you've made?

My 2017 AZE0 looks very similar to yours (right down to the colour and tints), but my headlights don't have that blue accent and I think it looks pretty cool.

(or is that just a reflection in your photo?)

[EDIT - no way! I just spotted it's on the rear LED stop lamps too...]

@Dali0072 If you don't mind me asking, is that blue trim on the side of your headlights factory-standard, or is it some sort of addition you've made?

My 2017 AZE0 looks very similar to yours (right down to the colour and tints), but my headlights don't have that blue accent and I think it looks pretty cool.

(or is that just a reflection in your photo?)

[EDIT - no way! I just spotted it's on the rear LED stop lamps too...]
AFAIK those blue accents are on EUDM models to replace the side marker lights present on at least USDM leafs, however I don’t know about other markets.

Back