Edited for privacy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe my brain is acting up, but I don't see the SOH in any of those screenshots. What was it?

Do you live in a hot climate? Do you routinely leave the car sitting with a full charge? We need a bit more info...

Who replaced the battery? Has the trend been constant since it was replaced or did it suddenly just start to quickly lose capacity?

Did you pay for a replacement battery ?
If so, I think you have either 5 years or 60k miles of warranty from the replacement, whichever comes first.

It does look like the battery is degrading rapidly, but not fast enough to gain a battery replacement through warranty because you drive a lot. Sorry I don't have better news for you. The only choice I can see (and it is not a great one) is to use the car less and hope battery replacement under warranty kicks in.

Your other choice is to sell the car, preferably to someone who does not drive a lot so that *they* will reach battery replacement under warranty.

SageBrush said:
Did you pay for a replacement battery ?
If so, I think you have 5 years and 60k miles of warranty from the replacement

That's my understanding as well. One year warranty on a warranty replacement pack, but the full 5 Year/60k warranty on one you buy. This may or may not be relevant: how much did it cost you?

OP: I'll guess that you are wondering if you have a defective battery. I think not.
Loss of the first capacity bar in ~ 3 years is unfortunately far from uncommon. At your rate you will be at 4 bar loss in 3 more years.

The SOH and AHr numbers look about right for having recently lost the first capacity bar. I don't see any significant unbalance which would lead to reduced range from a weak cell reaching maximum charge voltage and minimum discharge voltage before the rest of the cells. If the usable range is significantly less than with the previous battery, then I think there could be some increased power loss due to increased rolling resistance from different tires, wind, dragging brakes, or extra friction in wheel bearings and/or gear reducer. If you have never changed the gearcase oil, then you may want to consider that because it is a minor cost and new fluid will help reduce friction and wear.

As others have already mentioned, a replacement battery paid for in full by the customer carries a 5-year, 60,000-mile capacity warranty and 8-year, 100,000-mile defect warranty. A battery replaced by Nissan carries the balance of the factory warranty (or maybe one full year after installation).

I don't know exactly where you are located and what your power rates are, but if you think about it you probably saved enough on fuel and maintenance to make your LEAF operating cost including battery replacement similar to a gas engine vehicle of similar size (unless you are in one of the really high power cost areas with tiered rates). You should be able to get 50 miles or so on a charge after dropping down to 8 bars (which should be a while yet) so there must be something causing increased power consumption. Since I have been driving LEAFs since 2011 and have replaced tires several times, I know that tires can make a significant difference in range. The best compromise of good handling, wet braking traction, and low rolling resistance I have found are Bridgestone Ecopias (if inflated to at least 42 psi cold). Their wet braking traction is marginal if only inflated to 36 psi.

Back