Gen 2 LED turn signals, reverse lights, and rear cargo area bulb

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St6787

Just wanting to share some discoveries that I have made with my 2019 SL Plus:

I replaced the front and rear turn signals and reverse lights with LED bulbs. I have had very good luck with this brand before with other vehicles and the Leaf was no exception. No hyper flash, they fit in the stock socket and housing, color is good, and they are crisp and bright. The cargo area bulb is much brighter and makes things easier to see. I have attached screen shots of the Amazon pages from the various bulbs. Of course, these worked great on my vehicle, you may have different results.

Attachments

• IMG_8365.jpg
    IMG_8365.jpg
    948.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8364.jpg
    IMG_8364.jpg
    923 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8363.jpg
    IMG_8363.jpg
    853.7 KB · Views: 2
I also replaced the dome light in the middle of the roof on my S model. She bulb looked like a cylinder with contacts on both ends and it really brightened things up. Note it's possible your SL doesn't really have a dome light but rather 2 lights by the rearview mirror? Yes LEDs are the way to go!

Just wanting to share some discoveries that I have made with my 2019 SL Plus:

I replaced the front and rear turn signals and reverse lights with LED bulbs. I have had very good luck with this brand before with other vehicles and the Leaf was no exception. No hyper flash, they fit in the stock socket and housing, color is good, and they are crisp and bright. The cargo area bulb is much brighter and makes things easier to see. I have attached screen shots of the Amazon pages from the various bulbs. Of course, these worked great on my vehicle, you may have different results.
I thought the SL trim came with LED bulbs already - was that not the case? And how hard was it to get to and replace the bulbs? (my rear left turn signal just went out last night)

The turn signals and reverse lights are still incandescent. The replacement is easy, the instructions to remove the tail lights are in the manual. Just remove two bolts, then slide out. Just be careful with the long thin part of the tail light that goes towards the front, it needs to slide out towards the back and not be pulled away from the car, if that makes sense.

Attachments

• IMG_8722.jpeg
    IMG_8722.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for that info! How's the brightness on the reverse lights? That's the one thing that I've found quite disappointing on my leaf - the stock ones are way dimmer than I'd like. I honestly thought the lights were all built-in LED and that there were no incandescent on the car, so this is awesome info!

Thanks!

They are slightly better than the stock bulbs. I think it’s just a function of the housing, I had these same reverse lights in a different car and they were really bright. The leaf has a pretty small housing and reflector for the reverse lights.

If you have fog lights I also replaced the H11 with LED. Didn't get the same colour temperature as the LED headlights, 6000k wasn't available 5 years ago. Still a much better match than OEM.

My advice would be: not to install any LED bulbs, they might nog last very long as most are cheaply made in China and rebranded and sold in the USA for example. But also in many countries, these are not road legal.

Back