Installed My LED Running Lights and License Plate Lights

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELROY

Removed my standard bulbs for the front pilot lights and the license plate light bulbs.
Was suprised how much heat they generate. 5 watts each. So the four bulbs (20watts total) was replaced with LEDs (from superbrightleds.com). The total consumption of the four bulbs was reduced to about 5 watts. So 1/4 the wattage, and much brighter output! In fact, the license plate is so bright, I was concerned that it would be illegal or something. It actually lights up the ground below pretty effectively. But now that I am used to it, I find it refreshingly modern in appearance.

In the LED packages, the left side was for the front lamps, the middle for the license plate. (The right lamp is for a landscaping lamp experiement)

20121130162634363.jpg

2012113020411144.jpg

20121130204359381.jpg

2012113021310442.jpg

Any idea how much of the light for the license plate is in the IR range? I've heard that cameras used to read plates (red lights, toll booths, etc) just see IR and too much of an IR component makes plates impossible to read, therefore potentially illegal.

Looks good! I've been thinking of looking for a brighter solution for running lamps only on days when it rains and we're supposed to use headlamps (which I don't really like to do, but don't feel the stock running lamps are really bright enough).

I take it the fronts are the Cool White version?

mwalsh said:
Looks good! I've been thinking of looking for a brighter solution for running lamps only on days when it rains and we're supposed to use headlamps (which I don't really like to do, but don't feel the stock running lamps are really bright enough).

Yes they are the cool white versions.
Only about $7 each, and about 1.75 watts each!

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-15-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/910/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The license plate light bulbs are less than 1 watt each.
They are the natural white versions.
They are about $5.95 each.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So cuts the wattage to less than 1/3, and much more brighter and cleaner looking.
Still don't know why Nissan didn't use LEDs for the license plate, running light, and turnsignals in the first place.

ELROY said:

Anything tricky about changing them out? I did take a quick look under the hood this morning, but it was raining and I didn't spend that much time out there. And, of course, I haven't bothered to break out the owners manual yet. ;)

mwalsh said:
ELROY said:

Anything tricky about changing them out? I did take a quick look under the hood this morning, but it was raining and I didn't spend that much time out there. And, of course, I haven't bothered to break out the owners manual yet. ;)

Simple, literally minutes. The socket twists partially, you pull it out. And then pull the wedge bulb out of it.
License plate lights have a tab you pry over and pull it down, twist out the bulb. Very easy.

ELROY said:
mwalsh said:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-15-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/910/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Okay.
So I ordered these lights. Same EXACT one. And they don't fit. Even tried both of them in the same sockets. Am I missing something here?

Do you have to jimmy them in some how?
It seems that the base of The actual bulb is to wide for the socket. Some input.

Anyone?

Thanks

Okay. So here it goes.
I have them all installed licence LEDs and running lights. Same exact ones that Elroy suggested.

I had some troubles installing them, and they were mostly my stupidness getting in the way. So I'll repeat what i did wrong so no one else does what I did.
So here are the exact things I did.

Those are the exact correct led bulbs, front and back.
I have a 2012 leaf. Just to make sure everyone knows which year I have. I can't be 100% sure about the 2011 leafs.
The rears are super easy to install. Just unclip the rear housing unit, unscrew the water tight inner housing and the replace. And just go backwards to put it back.

The headlights is where I personally had a problem. I suggest you leave the running lights on so you know you have contact once the bulb is in. It fits in there but needs a little jiggling to make sure it's in the correct position. Once the light is on, the jiggle works, you'll Be pretty blinded because those LEDs are retarded bright.

Make sure to put your bulb in there without touching the plastic housing, because it may cause it to be "unjiggled". Just keep the running light on this entire time so you are sure it's secure.

Then put the housing back on and your done.

Thanks ELROY for all the info.

Also. The rear licence looks very clean and futuristic. Not ghetto at all. Kinda wish Nissan would have done this in the first place.

License Plate replacement was very simple.

I guess I'm missing something on the high beams, because I can't get to the plug without removing the low beam plug first,
and after about 15 min of trying to remove the low beam plug I gave up. The manual didn't help.

Nothing on the internet that I could find with video or more detailed instructions.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Mike

Are the parking lights on when the headlights are on? I'd consider swapping those to LED but since I never use just the parking lights it seems like it would be a waste.

sirfergy said:
Are the parking lights on when the headlights are on? I'd consider swapping those to LED but since I never use just the parking lights it seems like it would be a waste.

Yes, they're on in both cases. I just came from the garage swapping those LEDs. They all look good but are pricey compared to what you can get on ebay from the same Chinese factory - no?

I also noticed that it'd make sense to swap the front side markers (the orange light on both sides.) They seem to be the same as the ones for the license plate and it sucks that I didn't get them with my previous order...

FYI, on my 2013 SV, the "parking lights" (what even the manual says are there), aren't. I turn on the headlights/parking lights and the turn signal bulbs turn on. Also, there are no body side turn signals (at least not on my SV).

sorphin said:
FYI, on my 2013 SV, the "parking lights" (what even the manual says are there), aren't. I turn on the headlights/parking lights and the turn signal bulbs turn on. Also, there are no body side turn signals (at least not on my SV).

Are they the same bulbs for the 2013 as indicated at the beginning of this thread? Would be a nice upgrade for my "S" :)

great idea.
I wish to convert my lights too.

I found the following parts on superbrightleds.com.

WLED-xHP15-TAC: 194 LED Bulb - 15 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower
Options: WLED-CWHP15-TAC: Cool White

$6.95

and
WLED-xHP5: 194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base
Options: WLED-WHP5: Cool White

$5.95

are these the correct ones?

OK so those are NOT the correct bulbs for daytime running lights. THe DRL's are H9 hi-lo beams on 2013 S and SV, and cannot be replaced by these. Otherwise, the license plate LEDs work well.

Concerning the "side yellow lights" these are required on Japanese and European models, hence Leaf's built in Japan have them - but the one's built in the U.S. will not.

So, for the 2013 SV, it uses H9 hi-lo bulbs (one bulb does it all!). Any idea where to get blue coloured H9 bulbs that have both the hi beam and lo beam coils? Or a LED that could do a replacement with both beams? Or even HID with both beams?

EDIT: The manual is wrong, the S and SV take the H13 bulb which has dual coils. Easy enough now, plenty of choice!!! :lol:

Back