I've got cells dying What should I do the dealership and the leaf spy shows no codes but

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaf spy shows I have 89% SOH but on a 25 mi trip to work the car will go into turtle mode if I'm doing 70 up a 4 mi mountain, today the car said I had 0% leaps by said I had a 30% charge It went into turtle mode showed that four cells are dying. But it did not throw a code so the dealership says they have nothing to do but I'm telling them my 2017 leaf should get me to work I should be able to do 70 up a short mountain What do I got to do to get them to honor a battery warranty. And can the mechanic see my driving history like if I've been speeding or things like that to not honor the warranty there's some stretches of highway where I'm doing 10 over but I'm only about 40 to 50% throttle

Well, this is certainly a problem. So what do you do to resume your trip up the mountain after Turtle?

I think your only recourse is to document, document, document. Take photos of everything (dashboard and LeafSpy) and note the circumstances when it occurs. Don't clear any codes if they occur.

When Nissan sees the car in their shop there's likely nothing wrong with it showing up on their equipment, so I can't blame them for their response. You will have to have diligence and documentation, and keep after them in order to get warranty service on your battery. You will have to be persistent. And, if you have another dealer, try taking it over there. Good luck.

You have a few weak cells, but #36 is definitely the problem. Nissan typically won't take action without any DTCs, so your challenge is finding a Leaf tech (with the time) who will acknowledge the symptoms at low SOC/high speed (cold weather doesn't hurt). Good luck.

yes - my understanding and experience was until the code they wouldn't do anything of substance. Once its really bad like it sounds like yours is - I think the code will be soon - so just try to use it as you can.

I had a similar issue with my 2019 SV Plus. Module #40 was dying but hanging on enough to indicate acceptable performance above 50% SOC. Below 50% module #40 would rapidly lose charge. The issue wasn't enough to trip the dealers analyzers so I would get the car returned with the dealer claiming he couldn't reproduce the error. They could see the same indications that Leaf Spy was showing me but that apparently didn't convince them. Finally I got tired of having roughly 70% of the 212 miles of range that a new Leaf Plus should get so I decided to take it down to an indicated 0% SOC and continue driving it. It was a new battery but it would reach 0% SOC after roughly 145 miles. Continuing on after reaching 145 miles and 0% I fully expected the car to go into turtle mode but strangely it did not. I was able to go another 30 miles reaching 170 miles with the SOC display flashing either 000 or --- or +++ (I can't remember which, I just know it was odd). But I still had full performance and no turtle mode. Leaf Spy indicated an SOC of 23% although module #40 showed it had died completely. I continued on until 175 miles at which point the car finally went into turtle mode with Leaf Spy indicating the battery pack still had about 18% SOC. The BMS simply couldn't handle a severely unbalanced pack and didn't know how to calculate battery pack status correctly with a completely dead cell. After limping back home I charged it back to 100% but the car refused to exit turtle mode. I had to drive it all the way to the dealer in turtle mode. At that point the dealer had no choice but to recognize the problem and replaced module #40. That car has performed flawlessly since.

Thank you for all y'all's responses this gives me thoughts of how I should take recourse on this. Yeah they charged me $200 to tell me nothing was wrong but they said if a code comes then they will reimburse me.

Losing the forth SOH bar was required for my 30 kWh battery to be replaced with a new 40 kWh pack under warranty in Feb 2020. A certified Leaf tech had to verify the 4th bar had been lost. There was no charge to verify the
Fourth bar was missing.

Is this in code ?

IF OP wants help, he may want to make the effort to post in cleartext english.
That is simply a speech-to-text or autocorrect error of a single word.

It changed "LeafSpy to "leaps by".

It should read...."today the car said I had 0%, **LeafSpy** said I had a 30% charge"

Leaf spy shows I have 89% SOH but on a 25 mi trip to work the car will go into turtle mode if I'm doing 70 up a 4 mi mountain, today the car said I had 0% leaps by said I had a 30% charge It went into turtle mode showed that four cells are dying. But it did not throw a code so the dealership says they have nothing to do but I'm telling them my 2017 leaf should get me to work I should be able to do 70 up a short mountain What do I got to do to get them to honor a battery warranty. And can the mechanic see my driving history like if I've been speeding or things like that to not honor the warranty there's some stretches of highway where I'm doing 10 over but I'm only about 40 to 50% throttle
My leaf would go into turtle mode going up a 4 mile mountain at any speed. Hills chew up the battery power. As does running the space heater and/or defroster.

My leaf only gets 20 miles at zero degrees, heat and defroster running.

last week, first time, it went into turtle mode at -6 degrees F after driving 20 yards full battery.

Leaf's and EV's are sensitive to anything not warm and flat.. They were not made for frozen or mountain driving....which is why they are not a good replacement for ICE (internal combustion engines).

My leaf would go into turtle mode going up a 4 mile mountain at any speed. Hills chew up the battery power. As does running the space heater and/or defroster.

My leaf only gets 20 miles at zero degrees, heat and defroster running.

last week, first time, it went into turtle mode at -6 degrees F after driving 20 yards full battery.

Leaf's and EV's are sensitive to anything not warm and flat.. They were not made for frozen or mountain driving....which is why they are not a good replacement for ICE (internal combustion engines).
I have to respectfully disagree. Your EV might be having issues, but it would not be a blanket assignment for all of them. I've owed (3) Leafs over the last decade and all of them drive up and down mountains in the cold with the heat blasting with no issues. Without any context about your Leaf, it's no different than me talking about my poor condition ICE which won't even start in the cold and I just assume all ICE are that way, which would also not be true. A poorly maintained EV is just as bad in cold weather as a poorly maintained ICE. Neither vehicle technology is magically immune to extreme cold weather.

Back