L2 "Charging In The Wild" with your portable EVSE (w/pics)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngravEER

Martinsburg, WV (approx. 75 miles west of Washingt
Snowed-in today in the foothills just west of the Blue Ridge (12"+ and still coming), so figured I'd make one of my rare MNL posts.

Here in what's known as West Virginia's "Eastern Panhandle", we have a fairly robust public L2 infrastructure -- as rural areas go -- thanks to an area solar company that's done a good job partnering with local businesses and two area colleges/universities. Unfortunately, such is not the case with our supposedly more-progressive neighbors just north of the Potomac in Maryland and Pennsylvania as well as immediately to the south in Virginia. Hagerstown, MD boasts one of the country's newest Tesla Superchargers, but if you're driving something with a J1772 port, fugetaboutit. Yeah, there's the local Nissan dealership, but as far as depending on them for unfettered, 24/7/365 access... you're pretty-much SOL. Similar situation (minus the Tesla Supercharger) just to the south of us in Winchester, VA, although I've found the local Nissan dealership there to be fairly "EV friendly" (unfortunately they're situated in an out-of-the-way location).

Consequently, I'm always looking for "charging in the wild" options with my EVSE Upgrade when venturing beyond the borders of Almost Heaven. Recently discovered a 240v outlet at the rear of our nearest Costco in Winchester. Costco is a comfortable round-trip from home in mild temps, but winter shopping excursions can be somewhat more "interesting". So... introduced myself to the Assistant Manager, explained our driving situation and the benefits (to them) of what we spend on our monthly Costco run relative to their costs in electricity (think he had that figured-out from the get-go) and voila! Permission granted :D Winter Costco runs can now be made with the heat pump running both ways and plenty of range to hit other shopping and dining while in town, all thanks to keeping a vigil for available 240v outlets and making friends with their owners.

Most of us know about 240v charging at campgrounds, but I'd love to hear from other forum members about their experiences locating 240v charging opportunities "in the wild". Anyone ever successfully charge on a 240v outlet at a truck stop or travel plaza like Flying J or Pilot? Anyone discover chain restaurants or retailers that regularly install 240v outlets and may make them available for charging?

I'm wondering that too. Maybe refridgerated trucks plug in there? Or big block heaters?

Have you found 240 volt outlets anywhere else? And what type of plug does it take?

Graffi said:
Nice find. Gives all of us an incentive to keep our eyes open.

Were you able to get the full 6.6kw rate of charge???
As I recall, my upgraded EVSE indicated that it was charging at 20 amps, so it was slower than the 30 amp Eaton L2 in my garage. Was plugged-in for exactly 60 minutes and picked-up 18 miles. Needless to say, I do much better than that on the home EVSE. Still helpful though in making it a more comfortable trip!

Graycenphil said:
I'm wondering that too. Maybe refridgerated trucks plug in there? Or big block heaters?

Have you found 240 volt outlets anywhere else? And what type of plug does it take?
Not sure what the Costco folks use that 240v plug for. Loading dock for their trucks can be seen in the wide shot around the far left corner of the building. What you don't see just beyond the yellow pole (out of the frame to the right) is their large cardboard box compactor although I don't think the stand-alone 240v outlet would have any functionality with that. The 240v outlet itself is a NEMA 6-50. I purchased a NEMA 10-50 adapter back at the time I had my EVSE upgraded, but had to order the 6-50 adapter after discovering the outlet and gaining permission to plug-in from Costco management. To date, it's the only location I've used the 6-50, although our monthly Costco runs certainly justify the expense ;)

Only other 240v outlets I've discovered "in the wild" (outside of campgrounds) are in the picnic pavilions at Byron Park, just across the Potomac River in Williamsport, MD. Saw one while at my wife's family reunion last summer (days before we got our Leaf) and thought "hmmmm!" Stopped by a few weeks later coming back from Hagerstown, MD (on a rainy weekday so no one was in the park) and plugged in for a few minutes at one of the pavilions just to "test". Worked like a charm. Unplugged quickly though because I didn't have permission to do so and didn't want to be the lead story on WHAG-TV that night under "West Virginia EV driver caught stealing electricity from local park" LOL! I am planning to stop by the Town of Williamsport Office though at some point to discuss "availability" with the powers-that-be.

Back