Need a recommendation for a LiFePO4 battery for my 2017 Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramlich

Hi folks,

I have a 2017 Nissan Leaf with a drivetrain battery from a 2023 62kw Nissan Leaf. It seems to run through 12v batteries, as it's now time to buy the second 12v battery in the year since we bought the car from evridespdx.com a year ago.

I've been told that a lithium LiFePO4 battery would be a good idea for us (we live in the relatively cold winter of east-of-the-Cascades Washington State). Would you agree? If so, what specific batteries would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Jeff Gramlich

You will get a million recommendations, but I would look at the Antigravity Lithium batteries (something like https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/restart-oem/atx20-rs/). The trick with the Leaf (and really all EVs) is it doesn't have to have a lot of power or even fit in the existing (lead-acid) slot. I have used a small 20 A-Hr Lithium battery (turned on it's side) for almost 10 years now (read this thread https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=11999) with no issues.

The antigravity batteries seem very expensive, at least the linked one does.
The old thread referenced has good info, but unfortunately is pretty dated. Since the vast majority of the LiFePO4 batteries are Chinese, the options change rapidly and are VERY confusing. MOST of them are targeted towards "storage" applications. I don't know if that matters in this case since the Leaf does not "start" the car, it boots it. It really is more of a storage application. The unknowns are the quality of the cells and the BMS, which is about impossible to find out. I look at experience from other users, longevity of the company, and warrant-whatever that is actually worth.

You might take a look at this more current thread going on now:
https://mynissanleaf.com/threads/12v-battery-diagnosis-and-replacement-my-experience-fwiw.35563/

I have some specific recommendations for this battery that I have recent experience with (Prius-similar use characteristics/does not 'start', it boots) and is priced about the same as a good quality AGM replacement. Several months normal use and feeling good about it....so far. :)
https://www.ohmmu.com/product-page/12v-lithium-battery-for-nissan-leaf

Last edited:
I have some specific recommendations for this battery that I have recent experience with (Prius-similar use characteristics/does not 'start', it boots) and is priced about the same as a good quality AGM replacement. Several months normal use and feeling good about it....so far. :)
https://www.ohmmu.com/product-page/12v-lithium-battery-for-nissan-leaf

Thanks for the Link, the old link I had was from Summit and they have been out of stock. Just ordered one. That price, like you said compared to an AGM, is spot on.

Since the vast majority of the LiFePO4 batteries are Chinese, the options change rapidly and are VERY confusing.
The issue is price. Plenty of Chinese LiFePO4 out there and I know they work fine in the Leaf because I've setup those for many a friends and family that wanted to go cheap, but I can't vouch for their long term use. The LiFePO4 I bought +9 years ago is still going strong today, was made here in the USA, but it also cost a lot of money then.

If you want to go cheap, Amazon,Wal-mart, Batteries Plus, etc has you covered. If you want to go USA made, I can give you several links to those that still produce them in the USA (not just imports from China), but they are going to cost +50% to +75% more than the cheaper ones.

So, would you rather buy a cheap LiFePO4 that might only last about as long as a Lead Acid battery or do you want to go in long term and pay close to +$250 for a LiFePO4?

The issue is price. Plenty of Chinese LiFePO4 out there and I know they work fine in the Leaf because I've setup those for many a friends and family that wanted to go cheap, but I can't vouch for their long term use. The LiFePO4 I bought +9 years ago is still going strong today, was made here in the USA, but it also cost a lot of money then.

If you want to go cheap, Amazon,Wal-mart, Batteries Plus, etc has you covered. If you want to go USA made, I can give you several links to those that still produce them in the USA (not just imports from China), but they are going to cost +50% to +75% more than the cheaper ones.

So, would you rather buy a cheap LiFePO4 that might only last about as long as a Lead Acid battery or do you want to go in long term and pay close to +$250 for a LiFePO4?
Price vs reliability is the question. It's too bad there is not a good way to vet these products other than forums of this sort, but I'm really glad we do have this option.
The products now change SO damn fast that it's impossible to do any long term reliability studies on stuff like this. By the time you do have some inkling on how the battery (or other part) is doing, you can't get it (that particular one) anymore. Unfortunately a lot of the same economic forces are working on US made products also.

Hi folks,

I have a 2017 Nissan Leaf with a drivetrain battery from a 2023 62kw Nissan Leaf. It seems to run through 12v batteries, as it's now time to buy the second 12v battery in the year since we bought the car from evridespdx.com a year ago.

I've been told that a lithium LiFePO4 battery would be a good idea for us (we live in the relatively cold winter of east-of-the-Cascades Washington State). Would you agree? If so, what specific batteries would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Jeff Gramlich
If you want to go “charges off the alternator” rather than “charge it from the wall when it gets low” the only one I know of is anti-gravity and they’re close to a grand. Unless there’s a hack..

Back