New approach to advertising the LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electric4Me said:
I like the ad's layout...but I always used to follow the Family Circus cartoons when they did that. :lol:

I agree with the other points above though on 100 mile range.
'Family Circus' was the first thing that came to my mind too. I agree with the concerns re 100 mile range, and I'd be very concerned that many people in SoCal will not be able to go to a meeting 'cross-town' without having somewhere to charge when they get there, espeically if they're also going to 'sneak in some surfing'. Without some realistic ranges included for each of the legs, I think you'd have an awful lot of disappointed and/or angry high-income people making very loud complaints if they bought based primarily on the info in the ad.

For this demographic I think your original idea was better. The ad seems overly busy and you could do the same thing in any ICE vehicle. Not clear what's special about the Leaf.

I could see something like it if the headline was "Everything you can do in a day without sending a dollar to Israel's enemies in the Middle East".

The 100 mile claim is just dishonest at this point.

SanDust said:
For this demographic I think your original idea was better. The ad seems overly busy and you could do the same thing in any ICE vehicle. Not clear what's special about the Leaf.

I could see something like it if the headline was "Everything you can do in a day without sending a dollar to Israel's enemies in the Middle East".

Thanks to all for your comments. I'll share them with the creative team. FYI, my original idea was all about the middle east oil, the creative team at the Journal pitched this and I liked it a lot.

I understand why most of you have an issue with the 100 mile thing, but I think this comment crosses the line a bit. What I wrote in the text was "And with its impressive range of up to 100 miles on a full battery... ". I get it that most people don't drive efficiently. That's their choice. But it's been proven by me and many others that the car is capable of 100 miles. The car is capable.

I wrote "up to 100 miles... " That clearly implies the upper limit. I gave 16 test drives today, the most I've ever given in one day. Every single person asked about range. It is, after all, the number one concern. In every case I told them I get 100+ per charge, but most of my customers get between 70-90. I said very clearly that it was all in how you drive.

If someone chooses to drive without regard for efficiency, that's fine. Most of them today were hauling ass and grinning ear to ear doing it. I'm glad the car can satisfy that urge. I'd much rather somebody buy the car to hot rod it than not buy the car. But if someone really wanted to squeeze every meter out of a kWh, then the car can do it. And really, it's not that hard.

Glad to hear you're doing do many test drives. Hopefully your traffic will stay up.

The reason the 100 mile claim is dishonest is that you're using an arbitrary number and counting on the customer to assume that the number is the EPA number. Where does the 100 mile number come from? It doesn't actually match any drive cycle. On LA4 the actual number is 104 miles. On the European Drive Cycle it would be 109 miles. No doubt there is some very mild Japanese cycle where the range would be 130 miles. Why not use those numbers? Heck if you start from the top of a mountain a Leaf could go 200 miles. Why not say "up to 200 miles"?

Customers are accustomed to using MPG numbers from the adjusted Highway, City, or Combined Cycles. If you're using a number it should correspond to one of those drive cycles because those are the only drive cycles your customer will be familiar with. When you're using the 100 mile range number you're counting on the customer assuming it relates to one of these numbers, thereby concluding that the Leaf has a much greater range than it has in fact.

If you're happy with your rationalizations then go with them. I personally would not. I don't BTW even agree with your 70-90 mile estimate because in my experience the range is about 60 miles to LBW, which is about the range. However, I don't think you can go wrong using the City or Combined range number, both of which would be in your range and completely defensible (I believe the City range is 78 miles).

The bigger issue with the ad is that it's answering an objection (range) without telling the prospective customer why they'd want to buy in the first place. You're assuming that people want to buy a Leaf but won't because of their concern about the range. I'm not sure that many people are on the electric bandwagon.

SanDust said:
If you're happy with your rationalizations then go with them. I personally would not. I don't BTW even agree with your 70-90 mile estimate because in my experience the range is about 60 miles to LBW

Paul could say "I get 100 miles+, other people get anywhere from 50 to 150 miles".. that makes the point.

PaulScott said:
SanDust said:
I understand why most of you have an issue with the 100 mile thing, but I think this comment crosses the line a bit. What I wrote in the text was "And with its impressive range of up to 100 miles on a full battery... ". I get it that most people don't drive efficiently. That's their choice. But it's been proven by me and many others that the car is capable of 100 miles. The car is capable.

I wrote "up to 100 miles... " That clearly implies the upper limit. I gave 16 test drives today, the most I've ever given in one day. Every single person asked about range. It is, after all, the number one concern. In every case I told them I get 100+ per charge, but most of my customers get between 70-90. I said very clearly that it was all in how you drive.

100 miles is just dishonest, IMNHO.

Realistic commuting range planning should assume battery at end of life (I used 70%), assume nasty conditions (lots of heat or AC) and count only battery between 80% and 20% for best battery life.

That is more like (70 miles maybe less depending on speed) * 70% * 60% or about 30 miles. That is one way if charging at both work and home, or round trip if charging only at home.

Paul, I think your response on range is good but I would add how they can control their range "you need to average only 5miles per kwh to go 100"

When asked about range, I always ask how long they are in the car on a daily basis. Never directly answer this question. Worry about range is over sold, which is why people ask. I say you can plan your daily driving, or you can plan your budget (Since gasoline is so expensive). I don't dodge the question, but use it to explain how efficient the Leaf is compared to an ICE. With 75-90% of gasoline being used for heat production, I mention that with the Leaf you have to use battery power for heat, which will impact how far you can go, but at least you aren't throwing money away every day on creating heat you don't need (And warming the air near your car. After all a billion space heaters have no impact on the global heat index do they? I want to turn a few million off and see what happens.). The majority of people respond they drive less than 30 minutes daily, many only about 10. I tell these local people to buy a bike if they want to save a lot of money, but if they want air conditioning an EV is the only choice as long as they have access to a plug. If they are driving 70 or more miles a day, this is a car they have to weigh the benefits versus the limitations. Focus on how efficient the car does what it is designed for - gettting you where you want to go.

It is also a good idea to explain how little energy the AC uses once the cabin is cooled down. Using the pre-cool option is not needed for most people but it is there if you want or need it. People are suprised that the heater uses more power than the AC, and people want the AC more than heater - after all you can bundle up, but you can only take off so many clothes until you are blushing.

This is a car that is perfect for most people to do 90% or more of what they do, and if it doesn't work for them they might consider changing the way they live. Planning a 100 mile trip daily in a Leaf is not going to be fun for most people, although it is easily done if you are willing to take the time required. I had a 65 mile drive turn into a 100 mile drive but the last 20 miles were nail biters, not fun, and not something to reccommend to keep the battery healthy and happy.

Mention that this is not as complicated as the car they now own, it is very different. Once they learn it, they will wonder how they ever learned all they needed to know about owning an ICE. Mention that they know what a starter is, a catalytic converter, a spark plug, a water pump, a gear selector, but with the Leaf all they need to know is how the battery works, and how to use the energy it can store. A 24KWH battery with about 20 usable is what the Leaf has. Most people will only want to use 15KWH so they can keep the battery in its peak state. These batteries like it best when they are not fully charged and not fully depleted. While these extremes won't really hurt the battery when utilised correctly, they need to be aware of what is the source of the power, and why it is so much better than what they grew up with. With an 80KW motor they could theoretically use the entire battery in just 15 minutes, but many people will get about an hour of driving and only use about 50% of the battery. Turn on the power use screen and if thier eyes don't glaze over they will be hooked.

Biggest trouble I see is people think it is complicated and many people have lost the desire to learn. To these people I say it really won't matter to you since you only drive x minutes a day, but if you ever want to know where the energy is going, it is easy to figure out.

Also, M/KWH versus MPG. Keep in mind most people see these as equal equations. A KWH is a far smaller unit of energy and costs a lot less. Consider asking if they know what a KWH costs. They know what a gallon of gas costs. Know the local eectric rates.

The thrill of creating energy while driving is also something different and to some it is intoxicating. You can not have a greener source of power for the Leaf than the 30KW you can put into the battery when slowing the car down. Emphasis this and see what reaction you get. The tank is never empty if you can slow down.

I would add travel time to the dotted lines, having them all add up to about an hour of driving. This could allow another line - forgot to plug in - but still had enough charge to go do it all again!

I also think that passing only ten gas stations is way too small a number - likely with that route you would pass hundreds.

I would add some iconic LA places since it is a targeted ad. Start in Beverly Hills, 5 min to yoga, 2 min. to coffee, making the ad resemble what most people use to get around these days (Mapquest, etc.) might be a better choice than a bunch of dotted lines without real targets. Since this wil run so many weeks, why not make the route change each week? Add average speeds and frustration about miracle mile traffic. You could have some routes add up to several hours in the car with the AC on due to traffic, but how the HOV lane saved you from being late to a flight out of LAX - with free parking and in the terminal!

One week could be the wife dirve, one week the dad, one week the college student, one week the dog, and one week the cat - cats love a quiet smooth ride.... And comedy sells to your target audience when it is backed up by sound thinking.

From my point of view, stating the range like that is just doing an end run around reporting the EPA numbers. If it were a gas car, you would want to report mileage, and you'd have to stick to the EPA numbers by law...even if some drivers were easily able to better them. I think the law will have to be changed so that the same thing happens here...not legal to advertise a range other than the EPA one on the sticker.

P.S. I realize this is WAY above Paul's pay grade...he's just whistling Nissan's tune on this.

Caracalover said:
One week could be the wife dirve, one week the dad, one week the college student, one week the dog, and one week the cat - cats love a quiet smooth ride.... And comedy sells to your target audience when it is backed up by sound thinking.
This is exactly what we are going to do. I think the next one will be a soccer mom.

Back