New used 2021 Leaf owner says hi :)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmbdk

My first Leaf (and EV)... 2021 with 40 (39?) kWh. Bought it used (which I was kind of afraid of due to possible battery degradation), but it was a good deal (in Denmark anyways) imo. It had driven less than 27k km and I bought it for ~18800 € (which is cheap in Denmark). I bought an OBD2 dongle and Leaf Spy Pro, and the SoH says 97% and 8 QCs which I think is pretty good, so I am happy :)

I _love_ driving this thing! It is sooooooo smooth and quiet...

The kids and wife loves it as well (in fact it was my wife who found it).

We primarily uses our car for shopping and in general drives much less than 10k km per year, but during christmas we did give it a try to the family (~250 km) and there it definitely shows that this is not a long range car (which we knew of course) and this is obviously worsened by the fact that we have one Chademo charger on the way to the family... ;-) We charged it two times on the trip (in total 28 kWh) and in total it took around an hour which was ok, but longer than I had anticipated (30 kW average charge rate).

Assuming that the battery percentages are correctly calculated by the GoM and that the SoH is also correct and a 5% reserve, I get an average economy of 20.2 kWh/100 km for this trip alone, which is not great but considering that we had heat on all the time, freezing temperatures and highway driving most of the time, I don't think it is bad either.

Last edited:
Welcome. It may help your economy if (for Winter only) you block off the grille, and also invest in a couple of 12 volt heated fleece blankets. They would help you to painlessly lower the cabin temp on trips. I used one the last year that I commuted. If you are running 36psi equivalent, going up 3-4psi will help increase the energy economy. 36 is too low for the heavy Leaf, anyway.

Interesting! Any data on the PSI thing? We run 35-36 PSI on all four as per the recommendations. Any downsides to higher pressure?

I think you'll find that just about everyone on this forum runs 38-44psi, both because of the increased range and because the tires tend to wear both unevenly and more with 36psi. Manufacturers routinely recommend too-low pressures because the cars ride more comfortably at them. I routinely suggest 10% below the maximum rated cold inflation pressures written on the tires.

An interesting side note on tire pressure. I bought a used tow dolly when I bought my Leaf. Both to be able to bring it home and to a dealer if needed, as they all are way beyond the range of the car.
The tow dolly manual stated that if you were going to tow it long distance unloaded, to reduce the tire pressure to 10 psi. We did that for the 300 mile trip up to get the Leaf, it rode like hell! We stopped 30 miles away from the loading point and inflated the tires to full capacity for the trip home. Surprise, surprise, it rode much better empty, with full pressure then it did with the reduced pressure recommended. I have no doubt that if you towed the dolly often empty with full pressure, you'd wear the tires in the center, but considering how bad it rode on the trip up, I'd buy tires sooner and enjoy the ride with full pressure in the tires.
The ride back with the Leaf onboard, was great, rode smooth all the way home.

I think you'll find that just about everyone on this forum runs 38-44psi, both because of the increased range and because the tires tend to wear both unevenly and more with 36psi. Manufacturers routinely recommend too-low pressures because the cars ride more comfortably at them. I routinely suggest 10% below the maximum rated cold inflation pressures written on the tires.
Thanks for that explanation. My 2019 SL plus has 17,000 miles on it and the tires are showing wear on the outer edges.

Embracing the Electric Drive: My First Leaf Adventure!

I recently welcomed my first Leaf into my life—an electric vehicle (EV) adventure that has been nothing short of exhilarating. This 2021 Leaf, equipped with a 40 (or is it 39?) kWh battery, became my prized possession. Despite my initial apprehension about buying used, especially concerning potential battery degradation, the deal I found in Denmark was too tempting to resist.
Purchasing the Leaf used, with fewer than 27,000 km on the odometer, cost me approximately €18,800—a steal in the Danish market. To monitor the health of my new companion, I invested in an OBD2 dongle and Leaf Spy Pro. The State of Health (SoH) reading revealed an impressive 97%, accompanied by 8 Quick Charges (QCs). Needless to say, I was thrilled with the purchase.
The Joy of Driving Electric:Driving the Leaf has been a revelation. The seamless and quiet performance is a stark departure from traditional combustion engines. It's not just a car; it's an experience that I cherish every time I hit the road Rent a car
A Family Affair:My family, including my kids and wife, shares in the enthusiasm for our Leaf. Interestingly, it was my wife who first discovered and advocated for this transformative shift in our driving experience.
The Long-Distance Test:While our daily use involves short trips for shopping, we decided to put the Leaf to the test during Christmas—a 250 km journey to visit family. It became apparent that the Leaf isn't a long-range superstar, a fact compounded by having only one Chademo charger along our route. We made two stops, charging a total of 28 kWh, and the journey took about an hour, averaging a 30 kW charge rate.
Efficiency in the Face of Challenges:Calculating based on the assumed accuracy of the battery percentages and State of Health, accounting for a 5% reserve, our average economy for this trip was 20.2 kWh/100 km. Considering the need for constant heating, freezing temperatures, and predominantly highway driving, this efficiency is commendable.
In conclusion, my Leaf has proven to be more than just a car; it's a lifestyle upgrade. With its smooth drive, quiet operation, and family-friendly features, it has seamlessly integrated into our lives. I look forward to many more eco-friendly adventures on the road ahead.

Back