Official Mitsubishi i-MiEV Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TIL from https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/chademo-charging-the-model-3.160882/page-16#post-6251899, that there was a crazy person who drove their "i-Miev the entire length of Route 66 and back, with almost no CHAdeMO support at the time".

He posted his motivation in the mymiev forum. He did use some ChaDeMo on the >6k mile trip; a list with location and cost for charging is in 4 posts starting here,
Route 66 charging

Boston to Chicago, in Winter, 1912:
Boston to Chicago in an electric (and millions more)
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2014/09/10/boston-to-chicago-in-an-electric-and-millions-more

IIRR He was driving to a convention of the Electric Vehicle Association. Unfortunately he arrived three days late, after it had ended. The more detailed account I read (in David Kirsch's "the Electric Vehicle and the Burden of History") describes as the issues he faced in finding charges along the way, the terrible roads (unpaved outside of cities, etc.. ISTR he had to make adapters at various electric utilities along the way, as there was no standard plug/receptacle for charging, let alone a standard battery voltage for BEVs, nor did they have OBCs. Doing a bit of surfing, here's Bailey's own account (scroll down to "Boston to Chicago - 1,301 miles in a Bailey Electric Roadster"): https://www.earlyamericanautomobiles.com/baileyhistory.htm

The section immediately preceding that, titled "Touring in an Electric Roadster", says this:
It is true that facilities for charging in some places were inadequate and considerable ingenuity had to be resorted to in order to get away without considerable delay. The important point is that the electric ran under its own power a distance of some 1,500 miles, and that no matter how great the difficulty might have been, charging facilities were in some way or another procured and the disposition upon the part of the central-station managers in every place where Colonel Bailey stopped was to the effect that if adequate facilities were not now available they would shortly be forthcoming.

The central-station managers of this country have been accused of indifference, apathy, stupidity, pin-headedness, and all sorts of things opprobrious, because of their attitude toward the charging of storage batteries for electric vehicles. We realize that it is not an easy matter to provide facilities, which may run into considerable expense, for the occasional car which may come to town. With the demonstration that Colonel Bailey has made, however, that the thing is entirely possible, we have no doubt but that a great many central stations will take a pride in being ready even with a makeshift device to receive a electric vehicle tourist with open arms, as it were, give him a full charge and send him on his way. With the proper co-operation between the electric vehicle manufacturers and the manufacturers of accessories and the central-station managers, a co-operation which can be splendidly handled by the joint committees of the National Electric Light Association and the Electric Vehicle Association, electric touring will become very common. The time has passed, as the Colonel says, when it is anything of a "stunt.

Assuming your definition of "shortly" means "a century or more".

Back