Opening Charge Port Remotely & Waking CAR-CAN

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djh20

I recently discovered how to open the charge port on my 2017 Nissan Leaf X/SV (AZE0) using the CAR-CAN bus:

1. Send the wake up message:
0x682 0x00
2. After 80ms, send the charge port request:
0x35D 0x00 0x03 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x08 0x00 0x00
3. After 50ms, send the charge port request again:
0x35D 0x00 0x03 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x08 0x00 0x00

Please note that the timings I’ve provided are just guesses, but it seems to work reliably (even when the car is off & locked).

I found the 'LAN' and 'EV Control System' sections of the Leaf service manual quite useful for identifying which ECUs are involved in the charge port request. It turned out to be the BCM (Body Control Module) sending a request to the VCM (Vehicle Control Module).

To identify the correct CAN bus message, I used the charge port button on the keyfob and logged the messages from the CAN bus. By comparing these logs to other logs taken without pressing the charge port button, I was able to pinpoint unique messages that correspond to the charge port request. Specifically, the 'charge port open request signal' is the 4th LSB in the 6th byte of the 0x35D message.

Currently, I'm trying to find a way to wake up the CAR-CAN bus while the car is charging in order to poll for battery data. From what I understand, the VCM is supposed to act as a gateway by forwarding messages to the EV bus. This works perfectly when the car is on, however when the car is off, I don't get a response to my 0x79B request. The only way I've been able to get around this is by repeatedly sending 0x682 and 0x35D messages every 50ms to keep the bus fully awake. Unfortunately, this method is not very reliable as I often lose parts of the response. If anyone has any other ideas on how to achieve this more reliably, I would greatly appreciate your input!

Last edited:
Back