Referrals for Electrician in Simi Valley California

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicMunoz

Hi looking for a referral to install either a cash-and-carry AeroVironment unit or a GE WattStation for my new Nissan Leaf to arrive later this month. After a huge hassle in getting AeroVironment to my house, I got a quote for get this: $4,791!!!! Is this crazy or am I? I honestly don't know. There has got to be a better and cheaper way. HELP!!!!

Custom Installation: $3,718.90
Installation & Permit Processing: $170.00
Charging Dock, Wall Mount 15' Cable: $721.12
Shipping & Delivery: $49.95
Tax: $131.15
TOTAL: $4,791.12

Quote Details:
Pull electrical permit. Intercept feeder conduit. Install splice box on wall. Install new YOU meter panel. Install Level II wiring. Wiring to be installed with EMT surface mounted conduit and Romex through attic and or crawl space. Install 40 amp 2 pole circuit breaker. Install Charging dock. Charging dock will be installed on customer preferred location and will be fully tested and certified with proprietary service tool. Customer will be trained on operation and troubleshooting and inspector will be called for verification.

Ther eis a site visit needed by the Southern California Edison service rep to verify second meter/service location and scope of the utility work. Any fees associated with this by SCE are not included in this quote. Any changes by the utility could result in a change of this quote.

Knowledgeable responses greatly appreciated!

Have your factory Nissan cord modified by evseupgrade.com to charge the same as the wall dock for under $300 and you can use a simple low amp outlet.

There are plenty of better/cheaper ways, I'm sure, but without more details about your home's wiring we can't help much. It looks like they were quoting you for installing a 2nd meter, which is a major add-on and completely unnecessary unless you want to get on a special EV charging rate with your utility. Do you have any existing 240v circuits, like a dryer outlet perhaps? Do you have a dedicated 120v circuit to your garage at least? Where is your main electrical panel in location to your garage?

As EVDRIVER mentioned, the cheapest option is to modify the stock Nissan EVSE and use it on a 240V 15 or 20 amp circuit. There are also other EVSEs that don't require the full 40 amp circuit that your Leaf will never use, like the Legrand or SPX, for example.

I have a 120v outlet by my dryer that is 5 ft. from the front of the where my new Leaf will be through the door into the garage, and a 110v outlet in the ceiling about 10 ft. from the front of the car. The main electrical panel is though the garage wall about 10 ft. from the front of where my car will be. I've ordered a complete full unit from EVSEUpgrade.com like mentioned before so I can have my the unit that arrives in the car and the unit in my home. Does it sound like I did the right thing? Really appreciate your help @fooljoe and @evdriver.

Ouch, isn't the cost of a new unit from EVSEupgrade almost $1000? Unfortunately Nissan has jacked the price up on the new base unit so that's not really a cost effective solution anymore. If it's not too late to cancel I would, as there are much better deals to be had on a complete wall unit if you want to keep the Nissan unit in your car. Like this one, or the Schneider or Legrand which I believe Home Depot sells online. Or you could upgrade the one that comes with the car and buy another L1 EVSE to carry with you. I believe there's an L1 Legrand that sells for $499.

As far as your setup, getting a 240v outlet in your garage should be really easy as long as there's room in your panel. You probably mentioned something about a 2nd meter to the Aerovironment guy and he took that as meaning you wanted that additional service, which jacked up their already outrageous quote considerably. Any electrician should be able to run a new 240v circuit for a setup as simple as yours sounds for no more than a couple hundred buck, I'd guess. Or you could make a nice DIY project out of it if you do a little research. For the outlets you mentioned, if either of those is a dedicated 20 amp circuit (likely for the one by the dryer) you could convert it to 240v with a new 2-pole breaker and a new receptacle, and a little bit of work in your panel. Just google it and you should find lots of info on how to do it. Doing this would mean you can't use that outlet for the dryer anymore, of course.

If you do have an electrician run a new circuit, it's generally recommended that you run wire rated for at least 40 amps (#8), even though you won't need nearly that much with the current Leaf charger. If you end up getting the Aerovironment or Scheider EVSE, you'll need a 40a circuit anyway, while the EVSEupgrade or Legrand will allow you to use a 20a circuit like you'd have by converting the dryer outlet, if you go that route.

I used these guys.
http://www.advancedelectric.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They installed my 220v line, did a clean job. Found them on Angie's List.
Roman is the owners name.

Back