Vehicle For Sale Solar Powered Nissan Leaf for sale

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vehicle For Sale

solarleaf1

Hi Im selling my 2011 Nissan Leaf with solar powered supplemental battery system. Would be good for an off grid situation, because it can be charged entirely off its own solar panels. The car has 5 total solar panels that combined total 600watts. The power goes to a big battery and inverter system in the trunk, that allows you to charge the car off the 7064 watt hour 12v batteries in the trunk. The details are listed here, but there is also a YouTube channel dedicated to the build of this car, where you can find much more info. I bought it from the guy who built it. The channel is (Innovative sustainable solutions) https://www.youtube.com/@InnovativeSustainableSolutions

Car info
2011 Nissan Leaf
Nissan Leaf with 66347 miles
Replaced main EV battery with a used one with 10 bars of life left
Clean blue Texas title

Solar setup info
The solar panels power a battery and inverter system in the trunk. The roof panels fold out revealing two more panels underneath. 4 roof Renogy 12v panels ran in parallel (175w, 160w, 100w, 100w). The one panel on the hood is a 65w.It has four 12 volt 1766 watt hour lithium phosphate batteries ran in parallelThe batteries are charged with a Renogy solar charge controller. The batteries are connected in parallel and connected to a 12v 4000w pure sine wave inverter. You can then charge the car’s main EV battery pack by plugging the cars charging cable, into the inverter. It car can be charged while the solar panels are charging the batteries, but it can NOT charge while driving. You can also charge the batteries in the trunk from a wall outlet, using an extension cord if you want.A small portable air conditioner is in trunk to keep batteries cool in the summer. It exhausts heat your rear door window. The air-conditioner is very low wattage and runs off the trunk batteries I am not the builder of this setup and the one who made the YouTube channel. I am the second owner since he built it. I can give you the builders contact, if you have any questions after buying it.

Im asking $8000 for it.

Im located in Dallas Texas. You can reach me by direct messaging me on here or email me at [email protected]

IMG_20240201_150230359_HDR.jpgIMG_20240201_150302146_HDR.jpgIMG_20240201_150947865_HDR.jpgIMG_20240201_150958911_HDR.jpgIMG_20240201_151136350_HDR.jpgIMG_20240202_141202878_HDR.jpgIMG_20240202_141230879_HDR.jpgIMG_20240202_141305973_HDR.jpgIMG_20240220_152947369_HDR.jpgIMG_20240220_155943916_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Wow.... just Wow! I'm sure it's wildly impractical, but what an awesome demonstration of potential. I suspect any sufficiently motivated automobile manufacturer could integrate enough solar cells into an EV to provide a meaningful range boost in sunny climates, even when the car is moving. We just have to motivate them to do it. To the seller: This is an example of folk art, and a good one. If it were mine I'd tidy up the wiring on the roof a little bit and market it as such.

Aptera car company claims the solar panels installed on their top model will add up to 40 miles range in 8 hours of sun. But I have waited 19 years for Aptera to sell their very first vehicle to the public. I put in my $500 reservation to the first Aptera company (now the 2nd one exists). Not holding my breath these days.

Wow.... just Wow! I'm sure it's wildly impractical, but what an awesome demonstration of potential. I suspect any sufficiently motivated automobile manufacturer could integrate enough solar cells into an EV to provide a meaningful range boost in sunny climates, even when the car is moving. We just have to motivate them to do it. To the seller: This is an example of folk art, and a good one. If it were mine I'd tidy up the wiring on the roof a little bit and market it as such.
I would suggest a special inverter from panel(s) to 400 vdc. It would be a very slow trickle but something better than nothing and not lugging all that extra weight.

I would suggest a special inverter from panel(s) to 400 vdc. It would be a very slow trickle but something better than nothing and not lugging all that extra weight.
It feels like a modern roof solar kit for Gen 2 is not completely impossible and unpractical. When I look at my 2021 Leaf SV and I think of 4 modifications that could convert it into a off grid apocalypse scenario vehicle:
- roof solar charging kit. yet it takes days but in a collapse scenario you have lots of time
- proper tow hitch for cargo
- suspension lift for improved unpaved gravel, snow, and very basic minimal off-road capabilities.
- inverter kit to use leaf batteries as flexible power source.

I’ve gotten as far as the last one so far. But I’d be interested in pursuing the others if solutions are available with some DIY work being ok.

Let me know if you have any leads on this special inverter you’re thinking about. Does one exist out of the box?

I had a roof rack on a car once. I had to remove it because it was so loud. How loud is this one? I notice there’s basically no aero. Have you considered such?

Back