The battery replacement/buyback thread.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All Nissan LEAF's from 2011 to Present have a LITHIUM-ION BATTERY CAPACITY COVERAGE warranty, which came about because of this class action lawsuit Klee v. Nissan N. Am., Inc., No. CV 12-08238.

Good to know. How about in the last month?
Looking up the word warranty from the last month

Battery replaced from post today

Dealer not honoring warranty from post today

3 days ago battery replaced

10 days ago battery replaced

15 days ago buyback ordered but declined, battery replaced

24 days ago battery replaced https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/1cxs74m/2017_leaf_battery_replaced_within_a_month/

Most recent buyback offer one month ago
Https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/1cqds0q/2017_leaf_buyback_experience/

Another buyback experience posted a month ago but happened in March https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/1co6g0q/2016_leaf_sl_buy_back_experience/

It took me three tries and months of being jerked around until I found a dealer who would honor the battery capacity warranty.

It took me three tries and months of being jerked around until I found a dealer who would honor the battery capacity warranty.
My issue was not capacity--although that was quite close, but a bad cell with two DTCs confirming it. I gave up after two dealers, calls/letters to Nissan USA, BBB Autoline over about 12 months. Next stop was small claims court--not worth it to me. I ended up replacing the bad cell myself, and I am glad I did. There is enough fussy work going in and out of the traction battery that I would not trust a regular mechanic to get it right. Plus, now I can do this work easily. On an obsolete platform..

But anyway, congrats! Actually, congrats to everyone here who is getting acceptable warranty coverage. My sense is that sales have slowed so much that Nissan has extra 40 kwh batteries in the pipeline and they are willing to send those packs out for warranty work. Time will tell.

All Nissan LEAF's from 2011 to Present have a LITHIUM-ION BATTERY CAPACITY COVERAGE warranty, which came about because of this class action lawsuit Klee v. Nissan N. Am., Inc., No. CV 12-08238.
And for the sake of discussion, the 24 kwh batteries were warrantied against a capacity loss (loss of 4 bars) for 5 years or 60K miles (whichever comes first), while the 30, 40, and 62/60 kwh batteries are warrantied against capacity loss for 8 years or 100K miles.

After a 14 month wait, Nissan made good on the battery. Just got a new 40kWh installed in our 2016 SL.

Glad we could hold out long enough.

My 2017 Leaf got to 8 bars. Brought it to the dealership; they had it for 2 days and called me and said the battery has issues and they are going to call Nissan to submit the paperwork to get my modules covered and ordered. I followed up again in about a week and they said I have to bring the car back in again as Nissan told them to do a deeper dive diagnostic tests and will need the car for about a week. They called me about a week later and said; "Yes I need a replacement battery and they were going to order a 40khw battery as my 30 kwh is no longer available". I asked how long will it take for the battery to come in and I heard they may be giving buyouts they did not know and asked me if I wanted a loaner car so I said yes. They said I could have a Nissan Sentra or a Nissan Rogue. When I got there I asked for a Nissan Rogue and they gave me a brand new Nissan Rogue 2023 SL with premium package with MSRP total of $ 30k and 275 miles on it. They said I have unlimited miles and just bring it back in when its time. I asked do they have a "J" number and claim # assigned to me and they said yes and they gave it to me. I asked does Nissan pay the dealership for the loaner car and they said "Yes" so I think they really didn't care they gave me a loaner car and maybe Nissan told them to give it to me. So now I am driving around in a brand new nicer bigger car vs. my old Leaf and its like I am saying to myself "Take your time if you are going to get a replacement battery or offer me a buyout" as long as I have this loaner car. My insurance company and the rental agreement from the dealer lasts for a standard 30 days so not sure if I have to come back every 30 days to renew the rental agreement; or they will give me a buyout by then; or the replacement battery shows up.. Overall my experience has been very good with the dealer as they are taking care of me and I hope it lasts. Thanks so much for this forum as I had the information already going in. I am just curious is there anyone out there who has a loaner car for months and months while waiting for a decision from Nissan or the replacement battery to show up.
I finally received my 40 kwh battery replacement last week from the dealership and I am very happy. It took over 6 months to get it but well worth it. I tried to keep a good relationship with the dealer by checking in once a month and being pleasant. I knew the dealer can only do so much waiting for Nissan Corporate to get more replacement batteries. They in turn were pleasant trying to keep me happy with the loaner car. I never pushed the buy back since they gave me a loaner car. If it got to a year; then I would probably have said "Buy me out". They also ended up giving me a new 12V battery also as that was original as I am sure it was dead by the time the replacement battery came in. My Guessmeter reads a range of around 185 miles with a SOH of 99.3%. If they didn't give me a free loaner car all this time I would have been very upset. So all in all I feel I have basically have a new car at 62,500 miles in great shape and got to use a loaner call without putting any miles on my cars during the waiting period. Don't give up hope if you can hold out.

Nissan is giving me a 500$ service credit (which can be used for gas) for my battery troubles

Pretty happy with how this ended up

Got a message from the dealer this morning that my new 40 kWh battery was in. I dropped it off at 10 and picked it up at 4:30 fully charged. 99.81 SOH. Shows 180 miles without a/c, 157 with. Took about 4 months to get the new battery and neither the dealer nor I had any notice that it was coming.

And for the sake of discussion, the 24 kwh batteries were warrantied against a capacity loss (loss of 4 bars) for 5 years or 60K miles (whichever comes first), while the 30, 40, and 62/60 kwh batteries are warrantied against capacity loss for 8 years or 100K miles.
What exactly is capacity loss? All batteries loose capacity over 8 years, right. So what is ment by this warranty? Pls. let me know? I have a 2018/ 11 40 kwh battery and driven 93.000 km at this moment.

This [Edit: warranty information] is well documented with the warranty booklet included with each car and is also easily found on the Nissan web site.

Last edited:
What exactly is capacity loss?
Some FSM pages about this,
9hr2Qb8.png

AhEHQAm.png

4ZkFpHz.png

Cm52BuX.png

Congrats! Would love to know what you get for that 40kWh Leaf. Prices seem depressed on used EVs right now, but that new battery ought to help.
$7,900. I priced it low because it needs a new right front control arm and four new tires, so somewhere around $1400 to $1600 of work. Also the backup camera is fuzzy. Sold it to a new college grad through KeySavvy, so she got both the federal 30% instant rebate and will get a check for $3500 from Massachusetts. I think that was a steal.

Interesting thread.

My low mileage 2012 SL (bought in Dec 2011) still has 8 bars (the glass - capacity) of 12, and is currently charged to 7 bars, so the available charge level % when driving is 52 to 60.

Not sure I fully understand the last number "available charge level % when driving" though.

I have only used it to drive locally, never fast-charged, always charge at home in the garage using a GE Watt Station (30A) EVSE, and only once or twice a month depending. No accidents, one owner, upgraded the portable charger for a few more amps but never need to use it.

I keep the 12v battery (original battery) on a trickle charger when not driving. When I first got it I had gone on vacation and the 12v battery was too weak to start the car when I got back, so now I always have it on trickle.

I just bought a 2023 F-150 Lightning Pro SR battery (240 miles range) replacing my 2001 Ford Ranger (gave to grandson for HS graduation/birthday).

The local Nissan dealership sent out a letter about buying the Leaf, but did not reply when I emailed them saying best offer over $5,000.

Carmax would buy it for about $2,000.

But really, it is a nice backup car for the unexpected need for one, and the Lightning won't fit in my garage very well unless I get rid of shelves etc. in there.

The Leaf has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. There were a couple of recalls to add a battery protection plate and a software update if I recall correctly.

It used AT&T 2G for telemetrics and remote access, as I recall, and when AT&T discontinued 2G, I had the 3G upgrade installed...but then AT&T eliminated that too, so now, no remote access or telemetrics...but I don't really need them.

The GPS and SirisuXM/AM/FM still work fine, as does the USB with an iPod (unlike the Lightning - but I put all my music on an SSD formatted in exfat and that works fine in the truck), and the single CD player.

I bought it new for over $30k before tax credit in 2011. No regrets. It was especially great when gasoline spiked up to over $5/gal around here.

It would have been a great commuter car, but I work from home.

Back