Tire time! What’s eveyone using?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My original Michelin Eco tires were wearing badly after one year on my '23 Leaf SV+, and after finding out how bad they were on slushy snow e get in Downeast Maine, I ordered Michelin CrossClimate2 All Weather Tires (non-studded snow tires). These are so much batter in the snow or heavy rain, and do not seem to have appreciably reduced range (not that I care about the max range for my commuter car, I have a 54 mile round trip on days I work at the lab). I could not be happier how these tires perform in inclement weather, but supposedly they are safe to leave on all summer too.

Got a 2013 at auction couple of months ago and still haven't replaced its mismatched tires. It has 4 brands of tires lol.
Thought I'd ask here, the fronts are actually 205/60 instead of 205/55, but as bad all this sounds I seem to be getting decent range performance?

Just for giggles I'll mention what they are:
FL is Starfire Solarus and FR is Ecopia EP422 While RR is Hankook Ventus V2 and RL is GT Radial Touring VP =P
Even funnier the date codes on each are 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021, like they bought a tire a year or somthin.

I'm pretty sure I'm also going to put 4 of those Sailun Erange on, esp since it's wife's car for now. Had planned to do the Costco thing before reading then researching those Sailun tires =)

I'm pretty sure I'm also going to put 4 of those Sailun Erange on, esp since it's wife's car for now. Had planned to do the Costco thing before reading then researching those Sailun tires =)
I just got those tires myself and still waiting to collect more data, but the initial results appear to be very good. It's almost like this company just made a copy cat version of the already expensive EV tires out there and sold them for half price. 😄

Last July, I picked up a 2020 SV+ that had a new set of Wallyworld Doral SDL Sport 225/45r17 91H M+S. I put about 20k miles without issue, but then one of them took a pothole last week and now has a lump. They are wearing well enough that I think I'll replace the damaged tire, even though the others have 20k more miles. They seem to be cheap and long lasting.
Wallyworld?! 🫎 It exists? I thought it was a stand in for Disney world in that old movie.

My 2018 SL has 70,000 miles on the original Michelin Energy Savors and I will easily get this summer out of them so price be damned I will be buying them again when I replace them next year. Quiet and good traction in the rain.
I got mine used. They took the real tires and put the cheapest “summer tires”(read crap) they could on it. I wound up getting a set of cheap steel 16” rims and some blizzaks for winter. They did improve things a lot.

I put on a set of Sailun on my 2013 about 6 months ago. So far I’m pleased. Range is same I was getting with Ecopias. I got mine at Walmart. Wear appears to be minimal also.

I'm happy with Goodyear Assurance FuelMax in 205/65R16. Couldn't find a cheaper tire that implied anything about good rolling resistance. The larger diameter size will reduce the indicated miles and indicated miles/kwh, and the taller ride height will add a little more aero drag.

Has anyone tried all weather tires? They are supposed to be better in the snow than all seasons with the advantage that you don’t have to swap them out every Spring as with Winter tires.

Has anyone tried all weather tires? They are supposed to be better in the snow than all seasons with the advantage that you don’t have to swap them out every Spring as with Winter tires.
Unfortunately, not all of these tires perform optimally. It's a compromise for light use. If you want to get the maximum performance out of your car, you have no choice but to use two sets of tires.

I'm trying to balance the efficiency against the cost per mile for the tire. If one set of tires lasts 35,000 miles and another lasts 50,000 miles, There would have to be a large efficiency drop for the 50,000 tires to cost more than the efficient ones. Even worse if the 50,000 mile tires cost less.

I'll be at this point in 6 months as I try to eke out 32,000 miles on the OEM tires. I want longer lasting tires that cost less (this seems feasible) and even if the efficiency is lower I can't image that would add up costing more than the difference in price for more expensive more efficient tires.

Gosh, some of you appear to hang out in a tough neighborhood considering the kinds of the off-brand tires you are running :oops:. I am more cautious than many and came by that honestly in many years of experience with various motorcycles. When only 2 small patches of rubber separate you from eternity, you make sure you have good quality tires in good condition. In the case of my current LEAF (SL+) I have been pleased with its Michelin Energy Savers.

I sold the Michelin Energy Savers after 1,000mi and swapped in Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. Much better steering response and confidence and probably grip too since they "Ultra High Performance All Season." Range is still 150mi or more so, whatever. Happy with them but they're approaching 30k mi and won't last the year, and it rarely snows here anymore so I'll probably pick some summer tires like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or Super Sports next. I might kill these old tires at an autocross is I get a chance...

Tires, tires, tires... sounds like the gawdawful Formula-1 series.

"...some of you appear to hang out in a tough neighborhood considering the kinds of the off-brand tires you are running :oops:"

I'm no kneeslider, but I know how to push a car hard around a corner and know what to expect when I do. Good tires don't need to be expensive, if you know what to look for, and know how to drive worth spit.

Back