What is the correct PDM part and can I replace it myself?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KUMechEng

My PDM has failed on my 2016 Leaf SL. I suspect it may have been caused by a malfunctioning public charging station but I don't have any evidence for that. The dealer has quoted me $4100 to repair it. I have looked for the part online and am finding multiple different part numbers:

292C0-4NP0B
292C0-4NP1B
292C0-4NP2C

How do I know which one is the correct part number and is it possible to replace this myself? I am very capable with ICE repairs but know very little about the LEAF powertrain. Alternatively, how would I find an independent shop that could do this repair cheaper?

There are at least two possible PDMs for that car, maybe four. 3 kw AC charger, w/o QC, 3 kw w/ QC, 6 kw w/o QC and 6 kw w/ QC. See some part numbers here https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=21106&start=10 . But even those part numbers appear to have been superseded in some cases. Look closely at the sequence of part number updates for each PDM variety and you can see Nissan's numbering scheme.

Based on the price, I am guessing you have the 6 kw w/o QC. See Astrobacon's solution: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=32469 . They used 292C0-4NP2C which is currently $1900. If this works, please let us know.

"Based on the price, I am guessing you have the 6 kw w/o QC"

My model actually has QC. Another wrinkle to add, though, and I don't know if this makes a difference or not. My model originally came with a 30 kWh battery. That battery failed under warranty and was replaced with a new 40 kWh battery. Does the PDM have to be matched to the battery?

Does the PDM have to be matched to the battery?

Are you asking if they need some programming, or whether they need to be "compatible" in the sense that they will work together? No programming needed that I have seen anyone/anywhere refer to. If a "compatible" part was needed, then the dealer would have done that when they replaced the battery? Have your checked the part number on the PDM?

The PDMs with QC are about half the price for the 6 kw w/o QC, from what I can see. So, good news and let us know how it turns out! Good luck!

Back