Volvo XC40 EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rat said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Why did you get an xc40 EV over, say, a model y?

I’m close to buying a t8, but only because I have an employee discount, loyalty bonus, and Volvo has a bunch of stuff stacked on s60s right now. I’d prefer an xc40 EV but they are more expensive at this time to lease.

Several reasons. The Model Y is too low and too long, among others. The Model Y and almost all others I considered would be a very tough fit in my short garage. I want a small SUV to get the added height and ground clearance, too. I always swore that I'd never get an SUV, but it's almost impossible to see in traffic, or while backing out of parking or making a right turn while an SUV or pickup on your left blocks the view of oncoming traffic. More than 60% of all passenger vehicles are either SUVs or Pickup trucks. Plus I have a hobby of geocaching and the AWD and ground clearance is good for the light off-roading that requires. The Y has AWD, too, but not the rest. The closest other models I considered were the Subaru Crosstrek PHEV and the Audi e-Tron. I owned a Volvo C70 before the Leaf and loved it, and have confidence in the quality of Volvo products. I don't have confidence Tesla will even be around in 10 years. I think Musk is crazy and books are probably cooked.
Agree about seeing in traffic. I still have a Volvo sedan now and will get another because I still love how cars drive, but if I can't see above a vehicle now I don't even try and peek. I just wait for the damn urban truck to move so I can see again.

For us the Leaf was that higher vehicle, along with the Gen III Prius. We were driving a Camry and a Civic at the times that we respectively switched to electrified vehicles. I can imagine there being so many large trucks on the road that more visibility is needed, but we aren't there right now.

The ship with my car is now through the Panama Canal and en route to Port Hueneme. I assume it will offload cars for all SoCal destinations there and proceed on to the Bay Area. In other forums XC40 EV buyers are reporting that deliveries are being held up pending installation of Volvo On Call. So far as I can tell, On Call is like Carwings on steroids: remote pre-heating and cooling, and much more. https://www.volvocars.com/intl/why-.../future-of-driving/connectivity/volvo-on-call. This could delay delivery to as late as April, some say. The dealer hasn't contacted me. There are cars on the lots and dealers are selling them, so I'm not sure why they are holding up deliveries of pre-ordered cars. I'm not happy about further delay.

Something that I must have previously missed: Early on, the Xc40 was suppose to get a 64 kWh pack. But at some point Volvo changed that to 78 kWh. So the range might be better than I previously thought, though not the price tag. Any word on lease prices?

danrjones said:
Something that I must have previously missed: Early on, the Xc40 was suppose to get a 64 kWh pack. But at some point Volvo changed that to 78 kWh. So the range might be better than I previously thought, though not the price tag. Any word on lease prices?
You won't be getting a good lease deal on these. They are too limited, too in-demand. Looks like Volvo has trivial incentive offers on them. I think you'll end up paying too much for what the car is, going that route.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
danrjones said:
You won't be getting a good lease deal on these. They are too limited, too in-demand. Looks like Volvo has trivial incentive offers on them. I think you'll end up paying too much for what the car is, going that route.

Well my 2.5 years that I am required to "keep" my EV after receiving the CA rebate for my Leaf is up this Fall, and that is usually a good time to shop leftover model year vehicles. As you say, XC-40 probably will not be on my list. But with a wider selection this year I at least have a shot at something for a good deal. Bolt EUV, Kona EV, Mach E, Hyundai Ioniq 5, VW ID4....

danrjones said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
danrjones said:

Well my 2.5 years that I am required to "keep" my EV after receiving the CA rebate for my Leaf is up this Fall, and that is usually a good time to shop leftover model year vehicles. As you say, XC-40 probably will not be on my list. But with a wider selection this year I at least have a shot at something for a good deal. Bolt EUV, Kona EV, Mach E, Hyundai Ioniq 5, VW ID4....
Oh yeah. There are some sick lease deals out now. Bolts are being had for a song, and great deals on Leafs. Mach E I can't see happening this summer (at a good price), but the more appliance grade vehicles are extremely good purchases. We got a 24 month 15k/yr on our 2020 Leaf last Oct for an all in price of $7200 which I'm pretty pleased with (others have done better).

Talk of extending the $7500 credit again. If that happens GM will be giving Bolts away free with a test drive. :D

LeftieBiker said:
Talk of extending the $7500 credit again. If that happens GM will be giving Bolts away free with a test drive.

And when they do that I'll be waiting.

I'm certainly willing to look at the EUV, if and only if the seats are rated good.
But at the end of the year, if there are good deals on it, I could look at it as a pretty good upgrade to my 2018 Leaf.
Sure the charging speed is lackluster, but no worse than my 2018, and it won't suffer from rapid gate.
And a nice range boost over my 2018.

But whatever I do, it will be based on best value I can get.

I'll just be looking for a decent 2nd car for us. I like my 2018, but if it comes down to paying $300 a month, or $99 a month for cars with similar capabilities...

Rat said:
The ship with my car is now through the Panama Canal and en route to Port Hueneme. I assume it will offload cars for all SoCal destinations there and proceed on to the Bay Area. In other forums XC40 EV buyers are reporting that deliveries are being held up pending installation of Volvo On Call. So far as I can tell, On Call is like Carwings on steroids: remote pre-heating and cooling, and much more. https://www.volvocars.com/intl/why-.../future-of-driving/connectivity/volvo-on-call. This could delay delivery to as late as April, some say. The dealer hasn't contacted me. There are cars on the lots and dealers are selling them, so I'm not sure why they are holding up deliveries of pre-ordered cars. I'm not happy about further delay.
I stumbled across this story tonight related to the above.

Volvo’s first EV is stuck at cargo ports waiting for a software update
XC40 Recharge buyers have been told to sit tight
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/1/22307866/volvo-xc40-recharge-delay-software-update-on-call-ota

Volvo has announced an ever so slightly smaller C40 at basically the same cost, with same power train. I'm not sure what its purpose is.

cwerdna said:
Rat said:
The ship with my car is now through the Panama Canal and en route to Port Hueneme.
I stumbled across this story tonight related to the above.

Volvo’s first EV is stuck at cargo ports waiting for a software update
XC40 Recharge buyers have been told to sit tight
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/1/22307866/volvo-xc40-recharge-delay-software-update-on-call-ota
The ship bypassed the Bay Area and went on to Tacoma, so my car must be in Port Hueneme. Volvo customer relations emailed me to confirm that my car cannot be released to me until the entire recall is completed. That leaves a big open question or three. Some of these cars have already been sold. What happens if some of those owners don't bring theirs in for the recall? No more can be sold? Also, if you read the official statement from Volvo, it had attachments for the dealers with NHTS requirements spelled out and the problem software is not Volvo software or anything to do with Android. It's the embedded software for a particular chip made by Lear if I understand correctly. I'm also not sure whether that can be done through over-the-air updates like actual Volvo software. It may require someone to install a new chip. Volvo's announcement, confirmed in the email to me, is that consumers will be notified of the recall starting in April. Why not now? Do they not have the update ready to install? Will new deliveries be held until May, June, etc. until all cars are updated?

^^^
Interesting. Is it recall R10078 found at https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/VOLVO/XC40%252520RECHARGE/SUV/FWD#recalls? I skimmed the docs and that seems totally unrelated to On Call.
February 24, 2021 NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V109000
High Voltage Disconnect May Cause Drive Power Loss

A disconnected high voltage system can cause a loss of drive power, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V109000

Manufacturer Volvo Car USA, LLC

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Summary

Volvo Car USA, LLC (Volvo Car) is recalling certain 2021-2022 XC40 Recharge vehicles. The Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) microprocessor may reset and cause the high voltage system to disconnect.

Remedy

Volvo Car will notify owners, and the software will be updated by a dealer, or through an over-the-air (OTA) update, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin May 18, 2021. Owners may contact Volvo Car customer service at 1-800-458-1552. Volvo Car's number for this recall is R10078.

cwerdna said:
^^^
Interesting. Is it recall R10078 found at https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/VOLVO/XC40%252520RECHARGE/SUV/FWD#recalls? I skimmed the docs and that seems totally unrelated to On Call.
February 24, 2021 NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V109000
High Voltage Disconnect May Cause Drive Power Loss

A disconnected high voltage system can cause a loss of drive power, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V109000

Manufacturer Volvo Car USA, LLC

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Summary

Volvo Car USA, LLC (Volvo Car) is recalling certain 2021-2022 XC40 Recharge vehicles. The Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) microprocessor may reset and cause the high voltage system to disconnect.

Remedy

Volvo Car will notify owners, and the software will be updated by a dealer, or through an over-the-air (OTA) update, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin May 18, 2021. Owners may contact Volvo Car customer service at 1-800-458-1552. Volvo Car's number for this recall is R10078.

You're correct, it is unrelated. The cars were already being delayed due to the On Call upgrade when the NHTSA recall was announced. The recall is mandatory and new cars cannot be delivered, even to the dealer, until the recall is completed at the docks. It is a safety issue with sudden loss of power under some circumstances. I believe there have been no accidents and the problem is only either theoretical or so far minor inconvenience to owners. The software in question controls a chip made by Lear Electronics. I think Lear, not Volvo, has to fix it, but I'm not sure.

I've taken delivery of my new Volvo XC40 P-8 Recharge. The dealer experience was terrible, but I have the car now. I'll post my impressions here after I've driven it awhile.

Rat said:
I've taken delivery of my new Volvo XC40 P-8 Recharge. The dealer experience was terrible, but I have the car now. I'll post my impressions here after I've driven it awhile.

What happened in regards to the dealer? Or do you mean the recall issues?

danrjones said:
Rat said:

What happened in regards to the dealer? Or do you mean the recall issues?

The short version is that they told me the car was ready and to come in at 4:00, so I did. The car was nowhere near ready. The seats and steering wheel were covered in plastic and there was a service guy installing a software upgrade. Then they wouldn't take my check even though I had cleared it with them in advance. I asked originally if my wife had to be present since she wasn't available at that time and they said I could come alone and still get her on title, but when I got there, they said the opposite. I went home without the car in frustration after being there an hour. If I'd stayed, it would have been 7:00 PM before I could begin the paperwork with the credit manager. I know because that's when the salesman asked me to come back in. I didn't take his call or reply to his email. The next day they apologized, delivered the car to my house, and we finished the paperwork and payment at my house. It wasn't a money issue or recall issue.

I've driven my 2021 XC40 P8 Recharge EV for a week now and have a few impressions I can share. I am very happy with the car overall and consider it vastly superior to the Leaf in nearly all respects. It has a more solid, safer feel, handles great and has good power and range. The interior cabin comfort and appearance are much, much higher grade than the Leaf and in fact better than any car I've ever driven, and I've driven quite a few. It still feels massive to me because I'm so used to the Leaf, but it looked like a toy when I parked between a Suburban and another large SUV. It handles very well. I'm retired and don't drive much, so I'm not fussing about range and mileage issues. The charge port is on the back left side, so my EVSE is mounted on the wrong side. I have to back into my garage to charge, but I haven't had to charge yet due to its battery capacity, so that isn't an issue. My L2 J1772 EVSE works fine with it, although the port is CCS for the DC fast charge.

What sets this car apart is that it is the first car to use Android Automotive (not the same as Android Auto). It's the operating system for the whole "infotainment system" and center touchscreen. It's driven by the Google Assistant. I can say "Hey Google" and give it a command like turn on the A/C, pause music, etc. So far it's been very good at doing such things, but there are some things it won't or can't do and some it gets wrong, like changing to a radio station. It won't shut off the car, either, thankfully. However, that system is a work in progress, and a full review won't be worth anything for a few months as they update the software. For example, it won't play music from the front USB port like the Leaf and although it has Spotify, it doesn't have Pandora, even though the salesman and literature advertised both of those things. It has a system called Volvo On Call which is like Carwings - allowing for remote preconditioning the climate control and scheduling charging, but it's not yet here. It's scheduled for this summer. All software updates are to be done over the air, thus obviating the need to go in for service. However, it's climate control system is much better than the Leaf's and, unlike the Leaf, heats or cools the car very rapidly, so that's not a major issue. Volvo has underdelivered on some promises, but I believe it will all come reasonably soon. I'm not going to detail all the features. You can find many reviews online, but don't believe them all. Some of what you hear is vaporware for now. The bottom line is that it's a great car filling the right small SUV slot for me. It was expensive, but I can treat myself now.

I just saw a much shorter version of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYo4ETQe71c during a local TV news ad break. It showed about half the features or less and of course, used English/archaic units instead of metric.

Update: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/OoKX/volvo-xc40-recharge-turn-up-the-heat-song-by-new-order-t1 is the shorter US audience version I saw.

Back