Volkswagen ID.4 CUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now the other side of the story is that I mind the drivers seat so much. If the wife had really wanted an S, I probably wouldn't have complained to hard; though it would have needed to be pretty well used.

voltamps said:
A) The Mach E is 7% more expensive than a VW ID.4.

B) Mach E is slightly roomier inside, and has more cargo volume, with a frunk too (no handy frunk on an ID.4).

C) ID.4 has 8% more passenger volume as a Leaf

D) Ariya will be roomier inside than a Leaf. The exterior dimensions, width, length & height, are almost identical to a Toyota RAV4 after all.

We seriously considered the Mach-e, and took it for a couple test drives. Even with the Ford X-plan the Select trim with the Comfort&Technology package that adds heated seats and driver assistance features came to just over the Washington state EV sales tax exemption threshold, and no dealer was willing to lower the price to qualify. So, that effectively increased the price ~$2000 compared to the ID.4, and would have less range (not even counting the fact that you can't DC fast charge above 80%). It's too bad, really, because otherwise it was a pretty nice car.

Have any of you ID.4 owners/test drivers had a chance to try out the Regen retardation level on a steep descent? In any car I might buy I want max. regen at least equal to 2nd gear compression braking, as a fair amount of my driving is on steep roads, and I shouldn't have to ride the brakes all the way down. Touching them occasionally is okay.

In my test drive thru their tour event, from the shifter settings I recall, the max regen w/no pedals pressed on ID.4 was MUCH weaker than Bolt in L mode. Bolt in L and BMW i3 (by default, there's no other setting AFAIK) have strong regen w/no pedals pressed.

As might've already been mentioned, the test drives were solo w/nobody else in the car w/you, due to COVID.

cwerdna said:
In my test drive thru their tour event, from the shifter settings I recall, the max regen w/no pedals pressed on ID.4 was MUCH weaker than Bolt in L mode. Bolt in L and BMW i3 (by default, there's no other setting AFAIK) have strong regen w/no pedals pressed.

As might've already been mentioned, the test drives were solo w/nobody else in the car w/you, due to COVID.

Agreed. I looked thru center console for settings and found nothing. Should have spent more time with the car's control. But B mode will slow you down to 2 mph on a flat road but the stopping distance from 40 mph is way too long for most instances of city traffic. My LEAF in B mode I can almost drive "brake pedal" free with just occasional use of E Pedal for full stops.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds as if B mode might be okay on the ID.4; AIUI regen is also blended in on the pedal. Have to drive it to be sure.

I did like the Bolt's setup, giving effectively four different regen levels. While cruising on the flat, uphill or on straight not too steep descents I used 'D', using the paddle as needed. Steeper, twisting descents and around town I'd use 'B', with occasional paddle as well - descending the east side of Sonora Pass the max. slope is 26%, including on some tight 135-150 degree curves.

I also liked the Niro's 4 levels, all on the paddle, but unlike the Bolt I didn't get to try it on really steep roads or for very long. I'm hoping there'll be a lot more options I can try on Turo this year than last, as there are a bunch of PEV CUV models coming out.

I don't recall any regen paddle on ID.4, unlike my Bolt.

Besides trying at a dealer, there still are some road show appearances in CA left via https://www.id4roadshow.com/event_agenda. Ones in Nor Cal include Concord, Cupertino and Emeryville. Don't know if they're all full.

cwerdna said:
I don't recall any regen paddle on ID.4, unlike my Bolt.

There isn't one, just the 'B' mode.

cwerdna said:
Besides trying at a dealer, there still are some road show appearances in CA left via https://www.id4roadshow.com/event_agenda. Ones in Nor Cal include Concord, Cupertino and Emeryville. Don't know if they're all full.

I'm in no hurry, so will wait for a dealer to have one. Besides, I'd rather try an AWD version once they're available; I don't need the extra power, but I do want AWD. And hopefully they'll have added Plug & Charge via OTA by then. It's ridiculous that the Mach-E has it out of the box but the ID.4 doesn't.

From the test drive of the dealer demo, I'm quite impressed.

So, my new ID.4 should be at the dealer by end of this month. :D I will let you folks know what I think after a couple weeks driving it.

I'm glad to see more good options on the market. I ran out of patience for the Ariya which would have been the next contender. I also liked the XC40 Recharge, but that is priced higher than I'm willing to consider - and I don't consider it to be 25% more car than the ID.4 which is what their pricing would seem to claim. Yeah, the drive was sportier, but I favor efficiency and range and don't drive aggressively so that didn't win over versus the economics. Also, I'm out of patience so not waiting for the AWD version - which I assume will reduce the range some while costing more to boot.

Remind me - does the ID4 have wireless android auto?

It seems like such a small thing, but its the thing I use the most, and one issue we have in my Outback is that android auto always glitches out, we even had the head unit replaced. My leaf works better. But just not having the cable, and going to wireless, would be so awesome.

IF it works?

I'm Apple Carplay so I didn't pay attention to whether it supported the others. And I'm happy plugging in by cord - that way the phone charges at same time.

DarthPuppy said:
From the test drive of the dealer demo, I'm quite impressed.

So, my new ID.4 should be at the dealer by end of this month. :D I will let you folks know what I think after a couple weeks driving it.

I'm glad to see more good options on the market. I ran out of patience for the Ariya which would have been the next contender. I also liked the XC40 Recharge, but that is priced higher than I'm willing to consider - and I don't consider it to be 25% more car than the ID.4 which is what their pricing would seem to claim. Yeah, the drive was sportier, but I favor efficiency and range and don't drive aggressively so that didn't win over versus the economics. Also, I'm out of patience so not waiting for the AWD version - which I assume will reduce the range some while costing more to boot.

Looks like the site shows the RWD single motor version available for delivery now over summer, definitely post your delivery experience and first impressions! -- I'm holding out for AWD as it also includes a heated windshield (not sure if VW expanded offering this to its other trim levels?) which is a nice bonus but I'm sure pre-heating the car may do about the same thing. Just renewed my plates on my Touareg as new alternatives like this ID.4 AWD are still a ways out -- also considering Ioniq 5 AWD which may end up being available at the same time as the ID.4 AWD version - we'll see!

My wife and I enjoyed a test drive of the ID.4 this week. There is a lot to like about the car:

The drive is quiet, and the suspension is superb.
The car noises were actually enjoyable

From my POV it is a BIG car, certainly too big for us.
It is hard to believe that the car was designed to be an EV because it has a huge hood area that has a large amount of wasted space.

Afterwards I thought about the intended US audience. It is not a good trip car due to the state of the CCS network and the sub-250 mile (optimistic) range , and it is overkill for LEAF type use. Then I remembered the hordes of Americans that live in far flung suburbs and drive 100 - 150 miles for their work commute. The car is perfect for that use.

DarthPuppy said:
I'm Apple Carplay so I didn't pay attention to whether it supported the others. And I'm happy plugging in by cord - that way the phone charges at same time.

I guess I should have said, does it have wireless android auto/carplay AND wireless charging?

SageBrush said:
Then I remembered the hordes of Americans that live in far flung suburbs and drive 100 - 150 miles for their work commute. The car is perfect for that use.

Yeah, that's me. My commute is 63 - 77 miles one way depending on which route I take due to traffic conditions.

And for that commute on LA area bumpy freeways, I really want the longer wheelbase and better suspension of a bigger car.

danrjones said:
DarthPuppy said:

I guess I should have said, does it have wireless android auto/carplay AND wireless charging?

Yes, it has wireless charging. I don't use Android Auto (because of the cable) and didn't think to try it.

Test drove an ID.4 yesterday, really a nice EV IMO. If I were in the market for a pure EV it would be near the top of my list. Not totally tablet-driven like the MachE we sat in, which was nice in some respects but probably not for me or like I'd imagine a Tesla to be, but I've personally never sat in a Tesla and none at our local yearly auto show.
OT-finally able to sit in a RAV-4 Prime, a vehicle we put down money on, site-on-seen 6 months ago but were told to expect a 2yr wait. No dealers in my town have one but the auto show did, seems like a nice vehicle and I can see owning one :)

I hope the RAV4-Prime works well for you. I was unimpressed when I tested the Prius Prime in 2018, which is why I went with the Honda Clarity for my PHEV. But with a couple more years in development and a better platform in the RAV4, they probably did a better job on this one. The specs present pretty solidly.

DarthPuppy said:
I hope the RAV4-Prime works well for you. I was unimpressed when I tested the Prius Prime in 2018, which is why I went with the Honda Clarity for my PHEV. But with a couple more years in development and a better platform in the RAV4, they probably did a better job on this one. The specs present pretty solidly.
Funny thing is we had the same impression with the Prius Prime, we just kept thinking how much better we liked our '07 Prius, which we'll be selling once we get the Rav4 Prime. Again I'm not a big fan of the large tablet screen where you have to basically control everything as the Prius Prime had. I did like how the Prius used a heat pump heather though, unlike the Ionic PHEV my daughter is seriously looking at to replace her '12 Leaf, the Ionic PHEV has NO! heater in EV mode, only heat comes from the ICE! The Rav4 Prime also has a heat pump heater which was a big selling point for us. Because of this, the Ionic lacks any sort of morning warmup, even when plugged into shore power :(

Lol, I suppose heating is more of an issue in MSP vs. So. Cal. I find ventilated seats to be more attractive.

Back