TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GaleHawkins said:
WetEV said:
dhanson865 said:
Go ahead and count them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_electric_vehicle_fire_incidents#Tesla_Model_S,_3,_X,_Y vs the 13 fires from the bolt in the last 12 months.

Doesn't look like 10 years now so either the page has changed or I miscounted the other day.

Zero LEAF battery fires to date.

SOH dies too fast. No spark No fire.
Has any of the 2018 LEAFs lost a capacity bar yet? Even in Arizona?

My 2014 just lost the first one last fall. At that rate, it would only be good for 15 years and 150k miles or so. Not awesome, but not bad.

WetEV said:
GaleHawkins said:
WetEV said:
Zero LEAF battery fires to date.

SOH dies too fast. No spark No fire.
Has any of the 2018 LEAFs lost a capacity bar yet? Even in Arizona?

My 2014 just lost the first one last fall. At that rate, it would only be good for 15 years and 150k miles or so. Not awesome, but not bad.

Actually our new 40 kWh may be awesome
Our 2016 30 kWh triggered the warranty in just 25K miles. 2016 SL should be out of the shop in a couple weeks and I'll run some numbers on the batteries it was last charged November 6th 2020.

Both ABG:
Tesla Megapack unit catches fire in Australia during testing

13-ton battery was part of one of the world's biggest energy storage projects

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/30/tesla-megapack-battery-fire-melbourne-australia/

A fire broke out in a Tesla Megapack battery unit in Australia on Friday during testing of one of the world's biggest energy storage projects, run by France's Neoen SA, fire authorities said.

The fire erupted during an initial trial of the high-profile energy project known as the Victorian Big Battery near Melbourne on Friday morning local time, authorities said, adding that nobody was injured and the facility was evacuated.

"Neoen and Tesla are working closely with emergency services on site to manage the situation," Neoen Managing Director Louis de Sambucy said in a statement.

The site had been disconnected from the grid and "there will be no impact to the electricity supply," added de Sambucy. . . .

Fire Rescue Victoria said crews with breathing apparatus were working to stop the blaze spreading from the 13-ton battery to nearby batteries at the site. . . .

The total cost of the project has not been disclosed, but Neoen won A$160 million ($118 million U.S.) in cheap finance from the Australian government earlier this year to help fund the big battery designed to produce 450 megawatt hours (MWh) of electricity.

Tesla supplied its Megapack technology for the project, which is due to start operating in time for the Australian summer, which begins in December.

There's a photo of the battery pack on fire, with others around it.

Tesla agrees to pay $1.5 million to settle battery throttling lawsuit

Company data show that voltage is still being restored over time to some cars

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/30/tesla-battery-throttling-lawsuit-settlement/

Tesla has agreed to pay $1.5 million to settle claims a software update temporarily reduced maximum battery voltage in 1,743 Model S sedans, court documents show.

Owners of the vehicles will get $625 each, which is "many times the prorated value of the temporarily reduced maximum voltage," according to the proposed settlement documents filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in San Francisco.

Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Lawyers for the owners who sued said the "voltage limitation was temporary, with a 10% reduction lasting about 3 months, and a smaller 7% reduction lasting another 7 months before the corrective update was released in March 2020."

A U.S. judge set a Dec. 9 hearing on the proposed settlement.The suit filed in August 2019 alleged Tesla released an over-the-air software update that reduced the maximum voltage to which batteries on some Tesla Model S vehicles could be charged. The update was pushed out after a Tesla caught fire in 2019 in a Hong Kong parking garage. . . .

Company data shows 1,552 vehicles had maximum battery voltage fully restored, 57 have had battery replacements, and for other vehicles the maximum voltage should continue to be restored over time, the settlement documents said.

The $1.5 million settlement includes $410,000 fees and costs for the plaintiffs' attorneys.

The Autoblog piece also has a tweet with a brief video of the fire.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/07/30/a-tesla-megapack-caught-fire-at-the-victorian-big-battery-facility-in-australia/ claims
As a result of the fire, a warning for toxic smoke has been issued in the nearby Batesford, Bell Post Hill, Lovely Banks and Moorabool areas, reports The Sydney Morning Herald. Residents were warned to move indoors, close windows, vents and fireplace flues and bring their pets inside.
https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/fire-breaks-out-during-testing-of-victorian-big-battery-near-geelong-20210730-p58eh4.html is the mention of that.

There seems to be a missing section of 8 Megapack modules--was there an earlier mishap event?

Why would they leave a big gap in the configuration, or do a startup with an incomplete facility?

598036d287f6e29336c0d10b93dea5988f8dc2f0

Where these megapacks the Lithium Iron chemistry, or the more expensive Nickle?

I wish they would just use the cheaper, more stable chemistry for Power Walls. Who cares how much the weigh? I am certain they said that was what they ere going to do.

But right now I can't even sign up for a power wall if I wanted one.

IEVS:
US: Tesla Now Asks $5,000 More For The Model S/Model X

https://insideevs.com/news/524468/tesla-price-increase-model-sx/

The Long Range versions of the Model S And Model X are each $10,000 more expensive than a month ago.
Tesla has just increased the base prices of the Model S Long Range and Model X Long Range versions again by $5,000, or 6% and 5%, respectively.

Considering the previous $5,000 increase reported on July 9, the price is now $10,000 higher than a month ago! Moreover, the estimated delivery time for new orders is now March–April, 2022.

Here are details:

Model S Long Range AWD: up $5,000 (or 5.9%) from $84,990 to $89,990
Model X Long Range AWD: up $5,000 (or 5.3%) from $94,990 to $99,990. . . .

We guess that the $5,000 price hikes are not that much related to costs or supply chain issues, but rather a direct result of supply and demand. Tesla likely increases prices to benefit from a very strong demand.

An indication that this is exactly the case is the increased estimated delivery time (new orders) of non-performance versions of basically all models.

On the other hand, prices of the Performance versions (Model 3/Y) remain unchanged, while the estimated delivery times are shorter than before.

According to Tesla, Model S/X ordered today will be delivered no earlier than in 2022. The Model 3/Y Long Range versions are also sold out for the next couple of months. . . .

Interesting story.

i know for a fact, MMW Radar could have seen the boulder.

I'm sure given time a camera only system will work, but just because it can (or might) work doesn't mean you can't have a better system with radar.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/look-forked-road-yosemite-tricked-161550566.html

GaleHawkins said:
When I get to thinking that I can out think Elon Musk I know it's time to watch this clip again.

I have no doubt that it CAN be successful, and eventually WILL be. Elon has vision, no pun intended.

But right now, having a 90 thousand dollar model X run into a rock seems like a problem. Don't get rid of radar until your camera system actually *IS* successful. Obviously (if) they have had 5 accidents at the same spot, something isn't working.

Just my 2 cents.

danrjones said:
GaleHawkins said:
When I get to thinking that I can out think Elon Musk I know it's time to watch this clip again.

I have no doubt that it CAN be successful, and eventually WILL be. Elon has vision, no pun intended.

But right now, having a 90 thousand dollar model X run into a rock seems like a problem. Don't get rid of radar until your camera system actually *IS* successful. Obviously (if) they have had 5 accidents at the same spot, something isn't working.

Just my 2 cents.

What kind of driver with his hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road driving 25 mph would run off the road like that. FSD is not a feature yet so that wasn't a factor.

GaleHawkins said:
danrjones said:
GaleHawkins said:

Just my 2 cents.

What kind of driver with his hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road driving 25 mph would run off the road like that. FSD is not a feature yet so that wasn't a factor.

Don't know. But apparently 4 or 5 of the same kind of driver.

GaleHawkins said:
danrjones said:
GaleHawkins said:

Just my 2 cents.

From skimming some of https://www.reddit.com/user/BBFLG/ that I pointed to at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=608476#p608476, he was using "autopilot", probably the auto-steering portion.
hanamoge 31 points · 10 days ago

Is this on AP or something, presumably?

(If it was a human driver, there is no merit in posting here I guess.)
BBFLG OP 8 points · 10 days ago

Yes it was and I was attentive, just thought it would turn and it wanted to go straight, the very second it wasn't turning I turned and it's such a narrow lane that is gravel covered right after the lane line that it slid... I requested the data and saved the recording. Data takes up to 30 days. Kept a good attitude about the entire experience, nothing else does me any good.
These are some of the problems w/their "autopilot" system. It has trouble w/stationary objects. It works right most of the time, until it doesn't. There's the issue of the "driver" not being sure if the vehicle will correct/do the right thing this time and if they take over, it might not be in time to avoid an accident.

I guess he has a ton of $ to burn/doesn't mind burning it. He claims in another reply "My third Tesla and I've spent about $400k between them". I have yet to $400K in total on purchases/leases of new/used vehicles in my life.

danrjones said:
Don't know. But apparently 4 or 5 of the same kind of driver.

Too many people want autonomous cars so badly they think they can simply will it into being. Personally I don't feel that urge and I'm not longing for the day when I have to drive amongst a sea of robots. I feel like this movement is largely driven by smartphone addiction. People see driving as a waste of perfectly good screen time.

cwerdna said:
GaleHawkins said:
danrjones said:

Just my 2 cents.

From skimming some of https://www.reddit.com/user/BBFLG/ that I pointed to at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=608476#p608476, he was using "autopilot", probably the auto-steering portion.
hanamoge 31 points · 10 days ago

Is this on AP or something, presumably?

(If it was a human driver, there is no merit in posting here I guess.)
BBFLG OP 8 points · 10 days ago

Yes it was and I was attentive, just thought it would turn and it wanted to go straight, the very second it wasn't turning I turned and it's such a narrow lane that is gravel covered right after the lane line that it slid... I requested the data and saved the recording. Data takes up to 30 days. Kept a good attitude about the entire experience, nothing else does me any good.
These are some of the problems w/their "autopilot" system. It has trouble w/stationary objects. It works right most of the time, until it doesn't. There's the issue of the "driver" not being sure if the vehicle will correct/do the right thing this time and if they take over, it might not be in time to avoid an accident.

I guess he has a ton of $ to burn/doesn't mind burning it. He claims in another reply "My third Tesla and I've spent about $400k between them". I have yet to $400K in total on purchases/leases of new/used vehicles in my life.

Removing the radar is thought to solve this non-moving object problem at Tesla has.

^^^
LOL! Who knows?

There's a long thread on the transition at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-com-transitioning-to-tesla-vision.229057/. I stumbled across https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/vision-only-limitations.236516/ this morning. BTW, you can pretty much ignore man (most?) positive posts/stories from roblab there. He's a Tesla fanboy and I've called him out on his convenient omissions (lies?) about Tesla reliability numerous times.

I had no idea the Austin Gigafactory was this far along (I haven't been paying attention).

But at 9:10 you see about 70 EVSEs already installed. The creator of the video things they are for newly built Model Ys, but I suspect these are really for employees (since some are for handicap spots).

https://youtu.be/hZ23JtyhD20?t=547

Back