Official Ford Mustang Mach-E BECUV topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
I see them daily now in Chicagoland.

I am taking my wife for a test drive soon...though I am Hoping she can wait to try the Ionic 5 before making any decisions. I really Ike the idea of solar powering the traction battery, even though the car would be garaged much of the time.

I'm interested in the Ionic 5 as well, although I don't think it's realistic to expect doing much driving via solar charging - that would take considerably more PV area, something like the Sono Sion or Aptera. What I do expect from the Ionic 5's PV roof is that it can provide most or all of the HVAC loads on sunny days, thus maintaining the range closer to what it would be under ideal conditions, and also regainng charge when parked at trailheads, after I've used some of the battery to heat the car when I sleep in it in winter before heading out. A PV roof is far more useful to me than a glass roof, which is counterproductive in most of the situations I'd be using the car in.

I haven't seen any mention of such a roof on the EV6 - has anyone?

^^^ That's what I thought. I did find one GCR article from a couple of years ago where it talked about Hyundai/Kia introducing PV in a lot of their upcoming EVs and even some straight ICEs, but nothing specific to the EV6: https://www.greencarreports.com/new...r-roof-tech-for-electric-carsor-gasoline-ones

Assuming they aren't charging a ridiculous amount of money for it (Toyota's panel for the Prius Prime was priced at $2,500!) I would love to see Hyundai add a hood panel to the roof one.

I put down a $100 deposit and got an email saying Hyundai would be in touch with me within a week, and they never did.

But I suspect the price is going to climb way above what I'm willing to spend, and I don't yet have good warm fuzzies on the FED tax credits or where that is going. I'd still get 7500 for Hyundai but that probably is not enough.

I have a feeling I'm going to be shopping for whatever is on a dealers lot that is even slightly negotiable, which might mean VW.
Or waiting.

I saw a TV ad for Mach-E today before local KTVU 10 pm news. They mentioned acceleration (0 to 60 in 4.8 sec), 300 mile range on a single charge, HOV lane stickers and "the largest public charging network" in the US. I'd imagine there are caveats to those. They also mentioned MSRP starting at $42,895, $7500 Federal tax credit and $1500 CA clean fuel reward.

cwerdna said:
I saw a TV ad for Mach-E today before local KTVU 10 pm news. They mentioned acceleration (0 to 60 in 4.8 sec), 300 mile range on a single charge, HOV lane stickers and "the largest public charging network" in the US. I'd imagine there are caveats to those. They also mentioned MSRP starting at $42,895, $7500 Federal tax credit and $1500 CA clean fuel reward.

Ford has a public charging network?

cwerdna said:
I saw a TV ad for Mach-E today ... and "the largest public charging network" in the US.
I found this as the newest new Mach-E commercial. It's pretty well done. It'll certainly get the attention of my Mustang-loving brother-in-law.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm3jVZnUgug
But I don't see (or hear) anything about a charging network.

UPDATE: I found this one. The announcer says:
And use the largest public charging network in North America
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/OiIf/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-new-breed-of-electric-vehicle-t2

(click on this to see the larger version)
Capture.PNG

Of course, that's true for every CCS-equipped vehicle and not unique to the Mach-E. But Ford doesn't need to point that out.

Someone at Ford should tell their Youtube channel folks that marketing has decided it's Mach-E and not MachE.

The FordPass Charging Network also offers more than 13,500 public charging stations and growing – making them as ubiquitous as some of the most popular pharmacy or coffee chains.***

*** Based on original equipment manufacturers (OEM)/automotive manufacturers that sell all-electric vehicles and have publicly announced charging networks. Department of Energy data used. FordPass, compatible with select smartphone platforms, is available via a download. Message and data rates may apply.

IEVS:
After Update, Ford Mustang Mach-E Charges Faster Beyond 80% SOC!

Users reports over 40 kW between 80-90% SOC, and even 40 kW into 90% SOC.

https://insideevs.com/news/550986/ford-mache-faster-charging-above80/

The eagerly anticipated update of the Ford Mustang Mach-E's fast charging capabilities at high levels of state-of-charge (SOC) - particularly beyond 80% SOC - is here, as promised by Darren Palmer, Ford General Manager Electric Vehicles, during an InsideEVs Podcast in September.

We don't have our own data yet, but the reports from users - shared on the Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, indicate that the issue called the "charging cliff" is solved.

Let's recall that the charging power previously decreased to about 11-12 kW after reaching 80% SOC (see our analysis from March and April). Ford Mustang Mach-E's example fast charging session: [GRA: There's a graph]

According to Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum user Cherlin - who has received at a dealership the 21P22 Software Calibration Update - after crossing the 80% SOC, the car maintains a more reasonable charging level of 40-50 kW up to 90% SOC.

He shared images showing: 43 kW at 81% SOC and 42 kW at 83% SOC at an Electrify America station.

"Not sure exactly what the updates were but seemingly tucked inside was an increase to my charging speed over 80%. Yesterday I fast charged going to visit family and we were still pulling between 40-50 kw/hr up to 90%. I was completely surprised and extatic."

Later, he added that the higher output is available all the way into 90%:

"It seems to go above 90% as well, I didn't snag a photo. It today I was charging and it stayed at 40kw all the way and into 90% where I finally unplugged"

Report #2

Another report comes from Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum user kltye, who initially noticed 28-30 kW at 80% SOC in a car with cold battery and then about 40 kW once the temperature went up.

In an outstanding video, he presents the results of early tests (multiple sessions) and we can see 45 kW at 85% SOC.

He explains that there are no signs of higher peak charging level and that it's still available only for a short time, in the beginning of a charging session, kind of regardless of the starting SOC or temperature. . . .

IEVS:
US: Ford Mustang Mach-E Sales Down Significantly In February 2022
The volume dropped by almost half year-over-year. What is happening?

https://insideevs.com/news/571003/us-ford-mache-sales-february2022/

. . . Ford Mustang Mach-E
Ford Mustang Mach-E sales in February amounted to 2,001, which is surprisingly 46.5% less than in February 2021.

We hoped that the Mach-E would improve as the demand is high, but the company is clearly struggling on the production side. We heard that in February production was halted due to a lack of semiconductors, which means that the situation will not likely improve significantly in the near future.

Nonetheless, the Ford Mustang Mach-E was responsible for 1.6% of the total Ford sales volume in the US.

The gross stock of Mach-E in the U.S. is at about 3,500 (at dealerships and in transport, we assume), compared to 4,700 in December. . . .

Ford Mustang Mach-E production - February 2022
Production of the Ford Mustang Mach-E in Mexico amounted to 4,755, which is below average the of 2021, but at least 24% more than in February 2021 - against all supply constraints.

The cumulative production of the Ford Mustang Mach-E in Mexico exceeded 81,000. We assume that most (at least about half) of the cars were sent to Europe. . . .

I bought a 22 Mach-E Select RWD with the Tech package a week ago and sold my 22 Leaf SV Plus to Carvana today. Total cost to upgrade? About $7k. It took about 2 months to get from the time a dealer posted the VIN on their website. Car was built about a month later and took another month to get it to the dealer.

Things I like about the Mach-E over the Leaf:
-Looks better
-More power and RWD, handles better
-Bigger, more responsive screen
-More room inside
-Faster L2 charging, 11.2 kW vs 6.4 kW
-Leatherette, memory seats
-Better cameras
-Frunk
-BlueCruise - ProPilot with hands off on certain highways
-Active cooling
-Quieter

What I will miss about the Leaf:
-Heatpump
-Incognito (In my 3 years of ownership, I've never had anyone come up to ask about my Leaf. In 3 days of ownership, I've had 2 people stopped me to ask about the Mach-E)

Efficiency has been about the same on my commute, about 3.1 miles per kWh at 80 mph.

Not to seem annoying, but what on Earth is appealing about "leatherette" seats? Like actual leather, they are hot in the Summer and cold in the Winter. As they get old, they crack and split. They are easier to clean, I guess.

LeftieBiker said:
Not to seem annoying, but what on Earth is appealing about "leatherette" seats? Like actual leather, they are hot in the Summer and cold in the Winter. As they get old, they crack and split. They are easier to clean, I guess.
Yeah easier to clean than cloth and cheaper than leather. I prefer it over the cloth and it feels softer than the leather in the SL.

Back