Guess what I spotted at Nissan HQ today? Version 4

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightmb

This time, the person who was driving had time to talk to me and even allowed me to take some more detailed pictures. Name withheld for privacy reasons, but this person was very helpful and a pleasure to talk with about the Ariya. :D
As everyone will notice, this is the Japan version. ;) But the North American version will still look similar, just the steering wheel on the other side.

Yu4B5sl.jpg

dwXaJVX.jpg

VfbMnTm.jpg

hDtTXRK.jpg

7ROx6Z7.jpg

GNH0MXm.jpg

Z0ZWcXc.jpg

oK6fTEB.jpg

zhNxEih.jpg

6zqziZf.jpg

Nice, thanks!
I approve of the Leaf-looking mouse shifter but not so much a fan of the flat bottomed steering wheel that Nissan is so keen on.

I don't know why but the back end really makes me think of the model Y.

I think its the eyesight line along the side with the curve from front to back, highlighted by the chrome strip.

jjeff said:
Nice, thanks!
I approve of the Leaf-looking mouse shifter but not so much a fan of the flat bottomed steering wheel that Nissan is so keen on.

My 2020 Leaf has that same steering wheel and at first, I was like you, looking at it like (WTF?) But after *not* bumping my legs on the steering wheel while getting into the car and having the "haptic" feedback that I can tell which position the steering wheel is in when doing full turns without looking at it, it turns out it is very handy to have. Once you go back to a round steering wheel in another vehicle, you actually end up missing that feature. How bizarre to say that now. :lol:

knightmb said:
jjeff said:
Nice, thanks!

My 2020 Leaf has that same steering wheel and at first, I was like you, looking at it like (WTF?) But after *not* bumping my legs on the steering wheel while getting into the car and having the "haptic" feedback that I can tell which position the steering wheel is in when doing full turns without looking at it, it turns out it is very handy to have. Once you go back to a round steering wheel in another vehicle, you actually end up missing that feature. How bizarre to say that now. :lol:
I"ve driven a rental Rogue and Marono a couple times and they had the flat bottomed steering wheel and my main complaint was after a slower sharper turn I like to slightly let go of the steering wheel, just resting my hand on the outer edge of the wheel as the steering wheel spins back to straight ahead, what I didn't like about the square bottom is my hand pumps up and down, even possibly losing touch with the flat part of the steering wheel as it passes under my hand. Now I might be the only one to do this and don't know where I acquired the habit but that's my main beef with the flat bottomed steering wheel. Heck back in the day I liked steering wheel spinners, oftentimes seen on tractors and they were actually illegal in my state for cars, not sure if they still are as I never really see them anymore but they were most useful on larger non PS steering wheels which are basically non-existent anymore. I'm sure I'd get used to a flat bottom wheel and like you may actually become to prefer it, it sure wouldn't stop me from purchasing a car if thats all I didn't like about it. Kind of like the wing side windows, I loved those but again you NEVER see them anymore :D

I just wish it would arrive a bit sooner - when is it officially to be on sale? It slid to 2022 correct?

We plan to cross shop the Ioniq 5 (which I have a $100 deposit on), the Etron Q4, and I was hoping this as well.
The Q4 is now listed with prices, so that could actually be available before the Ioniq 5 at this rate.

I was called by Hyundai concierge a few days ago asking if I had any questions. I asked for price, and trim features, and release date, and they couldn't answer any of those!

The AWD ID4 is also coming, though my wife has ruled that out. She thinks the inside is ugly.

I would also cross shop the model Y, but its just too expensive right now - unless the tax credits are overhauled. And the wait times for orders right now are next March.

danrjones said:
I don't know why but the back end really makes me think of the model Y.
Yes, and not in a good way. The Model Y has a a limited view height-wise when looking out through the rear view mirror, and my impression of the Ariya is that it will too, due to the sun visor. My wife and I took another test drive of the Model Y last week and I convinced myself that I could tolerate the view so the Model Y is scheduled to be our next car. So in that vein I'm saying that if the Ariya copies the limited view it will not be a show stopper, just not my preference for either car.

Back