TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jlv said:
webeleafowners said:
On days like this I have to remind myself that we bought to hold long term.
Good thing you didn't listen to the naysayers in this thread from 2-3 years ago.

True. I mean for us it’s not a significant part of the portfolio so we don’t follow it everyday. I’m getting close to 60 years old and tend not to put more than a couple percent of the portfolio in common stock. Just being prudent and don’t want to have to go back to work. But it has definitely grown faster than we thought it would. A little more and I can buy a new Tesla....as long as it’s not an X or an S...or an expensive Y. . :). LOL. We’ll check it again in 5 years. :).

GCR:
Tesla for $299 week, insured: Uber drivers eligbile to rent through Hertz

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...k-insured-uber-drivers-eligible-to-rent-hertz

. . . Hertz and Uber confirmed Wednesday that up to 50,000 Tesla vehicles will be available to Uber drivers, to rent from Hertz for use on the ride-hailing company's network. The program starts November 1 in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and Washington, D.C., with a nationwide expansion due “in the following weeks,” according to Uber.

Through the program, the Tesla Model 3 will rent at $334 a week at first, with prices settling to $299 or lower, which figures to less than $43 a day. Both maintenance and insurance are included—and mileage, we have to assume—and initially Hertz is requiring that drivers have at least a 4.7-star rating and at least 150 trips completed.

To compare that to leasing, a Model 3 Standard Range Plus today leases for $565 a month, with $1,260 due at signing. That's for an inflexible 36 months, though, and with a cap of 15,000 miles a year—the highest you can currently opt for—and it doesn't include insurance.

The Hertz agreement allows access to the Supercharger network and discounts on EVgo, which offers Tesla connectors at some of its urban locations. The Teslas are also covered by Uber’s incentive program chipping in $1 more per trip, up to $4,000 annually, so that drivers might switch to EVs. . . .

Hertz and Uber confirmed Wednesday that up to 50,000 Tesla vehicles will be available to Uber drivers, to rent from Hertz for use on the ride-hailing company's network. The program starts November 1 in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and Washington, D.C., with a nationwide expansion due “in the following weeks,” according to Uber.

Through the program, the Tesla Model 3 will rent at $334 a week at first, with prices settling to $299 or lower, which figures to less than $43 a day. Both maintenance and insurance are included—and mileage, we have to assume—and initially Hertz is requiring that drivers have at least a 4.7-star rating and at least 150 trips completed.

To compare that to leasing, a Model 3 Standard Range Plus today leases for $565 a month, with $1,260 due at signing. That's for an inflexible 36 months, though, and with a cap of 15,000 miles a year—the highest you can currently opt for—and it doesn't include insurance.

The Hertz agreement allows access to the Supercharger network and discounts on EVgo, which offers Tesla connectors at some of its urban locations. The Teslas are also covered by Uber’s incentive program chipping in $1 more per trip, up to $4,000 annually, so that drivers might switch to EVs.

Putting tens of thousands of EVs into ride-hailing use should go a long way toward CARB’s emissions-motivated goals. According to a 2019 report from Uber and Lyft, so-called “deadhead miles”—the distance that a driver covers alone, to or from other trips, added up to about 40% of all mileage in a range of big cities. That boosted fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions by about 20%. A more recent study additionally found increased social costs from ride-hailing including traffic congestion, crashes, and noise—something driving Teslas instead of tailpipe vehicles might not entirely fix.

So far the Tesla deal appears to only be for the U.S. . . .

GRA said:
GCR:
So far the Tesla deal appears to only be for the U.S. . . .

https://newsroom.hertz.com/2021-10-25-Hertz-Invests-in-Largest-Electric-Vehicle-Rental-Fleet-and-Partners-with-Seven-Time-Super-Bowl-Champion-Tom-Brady-to-Headline-New-Campaign

Says otherwise.

Beginning in early November and expanding through year end, customers will be able to rent a Tesla Model 3 at Hertz airport and neighborhood locations in U.S. major markets and select cities in Europe.

ABG:
Tesla recalls Model 3, Model Y for potential suspension separation
It's righty-tighty, lefty-loosey

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/10/29/tesla-model3-modely-recall/

Tesla is recalling a total of just under 3,000 2020-2021 Model Ys and 2019-2021 Model 3s to address a potential suspension separation issue. As of June 2, 2021, Tesla service departments had reported 39 instances of one or both front suspension lateral link fasteners being found loose or missing.

This is not the first time Tesla's quality control has been subverted by a semi-sentient torque wrench. Recall campaigns have been launched to address similar issues with the company's front seat belts, brakes and suspension control arms. . . .

Tesla never pays for ads right?

Odd thing but I've been seeing a YouTube add for Tesla. It shows a Tesla model S driving out of a Dragon capsule on Mars. It ends with a Tesla logo.

Anyone else see it?

I get his frustration with the Union portion of the credit but he's trying to shoot himself in the foot.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teslas-musk-says-bidens-ev-023517444.html

danrjones said:
Tesla never pays for ads right?
That's a myth but they sure don't seem to spend much on ads.

Here are a few example of their ads:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-motors-paid-advertising.3664/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/wonder-of-wonders-an-actual-tesla-advertisement.59652/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/when-did-tesla-start-print-advertising.116139/#post-2762246

LeftieBiker said:
When they want some publicity, Elon goes off his meds for a while. :)

No kidding

Apparently he also said the birthrate is too low. I know Japan is struggling a bit with population but I don't buy into the idea the world is dangerously under populated.

Watching Elon is frustrating. It seems to be extremes- great ideas and stupid ideas.

Elon and I disagree on many things and I agree about the off his meds bit, but we are in agreement about removing all direct-to-consumer subsidies for purchase/lease of AFVs. Far more critical to spend the money on providing infrastructure (which he's also not in favor of. I would agree with him, if there were a profitable business case for it yet).

OH, ABG:
Tesla investigated by SEC over solar panel defects

Homeowners weren't informed of the fire risk, he says: 'To me, this is criminal'

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/12/06/tesla-sec-investigation-solar-panel-defects/

The U.S. securities regulator has opened an investigation into Tesla over a whistleblower complaint that the company failed to properly notify its shareholders and the public of fire risks associated with solar panel system defects over several years, according to a letter from the agency.

The probe raises regulatory pressure on the world's most valuable automaker, which already faces a federal safety probe into accidents involving its driver assistant systems. Concerns about fires from Tesla solar systems have been published previously, but this is the first report of investigation by the securities regulator.

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission disclosed the Tesla probe in response to a Freedom of Information Act request by Steven Henkes, a former Tesla field quality manager, who filed a whistleblower complaint on the solar systems in 2019 and asked the agency for information about the report.

"We have confirmed with Division of Enforcement staff that the investigation from which you seek records is still active and ongoing," the SEC said in a Sept. 24 response to Henkes, declining his request to provide its records. The SEC official said the letter should not be taken as an indication by the agency that violations of law had occurred. Reuters independently confirmed the SEC letter was legitimate.

Henkes, a former Toyota quality division manager, was fired from Tesla in August 2020, and he sued Tesla claiming the dismissal was in retaliation for raising safety concerns. Tesla did not respond to Reuters' emailed questions, while the SEC declined to comment.

In the SEC complaint, Henkes said Tesla and SolarCity, which it acquired in 2016, did not disclose its "liability and exposure to property damage, risk of injury of users, fire etc to shareholders" prior and after the acquisition.

Tesla also failed to notify its customers that defective electrical connectors could lead to fires, according to the complaint.

Tesla told consumers that it needed to conduct maintenance on the solar panel system to avoid a failure that could shut down the system. It did not warn of fire risks, offer temporary shutdown to mitigate risk, or report the problems to regulators, Henkes said.

Tesla shares fell 3.6% at $981.85 on Monday after the Reuters report.

More than 60,000 residential customers in the U.S. and 500 government and commercial accounts were affected by the issue, according to his lawsuit filed in November last year against Tesla Energy over wrongful termination.

It is not clear how many of those remain after Tesla's remediation program. . . .

danrjones said:
LeftieBiker said:

No kidding

Apparently he also said the birthrate is too low. I know Japan is struggling a bit with population but I don't buy into the idea the world is dangerously under populated.

Watching Elon is frustrating. It seems to be extremes- great ideas and stupid ideas.
Elon may be a bit wacko at times but he's not off on the low birthrate issue. If the birthrate drops, the population gradually ages out. Lots of pensioners, not so many workers. It's a side effect of better healthcare in industrial nations. With better health care, two children per family becomes the norm. You don't need four or five births to offset childhood diseases. Add to that a few people who don't want children and the birthrate drops below replacement levels. Add to that improved healthcare for granny and you get an ageing population with pensioners living longer straining the pension plans set up 70-80 years ago. China and Japan are both facing this exact problem. The USA isn't far behind, Social Security is running out of funds and there aren't enough new workers paying in to offset the rising cost. Europe has a similar problem.

World population is still rising but primarily in third world countries, not in industrial nations. If you live in country with poor healthcare and no pension plan, your only option is to have lots of children and hope that enough of them survive to take care of you in your old age.

johnlocke said:
danrjones said:
LeftieBiker said:

No kidding

Elon may be a bit wacko at times but he's not off on the low birthrate issue. If the birthrate drops, the population gradually ages out. Lots of pensioners, not so many workers. It's a side effect of better healthcare in industrial nations. With better health care, two children per family becomes the norm. You don't need four or five births to offset childhood diseases. Add to that a few people who don't want children and the birthrate drops below replacement levels. Add to that improved healthcare for granny and you get an ageing population with pensioners living longer straining the pension plans set up 70-80 years ago. China and Japan are both facing this exact problem. The USA isn't far behind, Social Security is running out of funds and there aren't enough new workers paying in to offset the rising cost. Europe has a similar problem.

World population is still rising but primarily in third world countries, not in industrial nations. If you live in country with poor healthcare and no pension plan, your only option is to have lots of children and hope that enough of them survive to take care of you in your old age.

I understand your point, but this argument is all based on offsetting the previous generations (specifically financial burden) - almost like a pyramid scheme. But no where did you or Elon ask if we have enough resources to SUSTAIN the population. Water, food, Minerals, Oil - not to mention that the idea above means we always need to continue building the population up, which inevitably leads to demise. Pandemics anyone? Sure, modern medicine can help push back at nature's ability to cull the human population, but only for so long.

So while I understand the general idea that you need more people to help offset the burdens of the previous generation, I don't fully buy into it long term. Overall that's essentially a house of cards primed for a collapse.

What Elon wasn't asking, and I am, is what human population is environmentally & resource sustainable. And I'm not currently convinced we aren't already past that number. On Earth, anyway.

danrjones said:
What Elon wasn't asking, and I am, is what human population is environmentally & resource sustainable. And I'm not currently convinced we aren't already past that number. On Earth, anyway.

That depends on lifestyle of course. The Amish will outlast all the prepper's out there but not many people want to adopt that lifestyle. I don't know the specifics but way back in the 1980's, when I was in college and first learning about this stuff, I heard the number 1 billion thrown around as an answer to this question.

johnlocke said:

How the world gets to a stable population isn't a trivial issue to be decided on Twitter by a billionaire.

Elon is off on this issue. I don't have the time to fully explain, or the patience.

Suppose everyone had 6 kids that grow to adulthood. At 6 children per couple, and 30 years per generation: Problem for the student, how long until the solid surface of the Earth is covered in people, giving a meter squared to each person?

How long until the mass of the Earth is converted to people?

Don't worry about practical details, just do the math.

WetEV said:
johnlocke said:

How the world gets to a stable population isn't a trivial issue to be decided on Twitter by a billionaire.

Elon is off on this issue. I don't have the time to fully explain, or the patience.

Suppose everyone had 6 kids that grow to adulthood. At 6 children per couple, and 30 years per generation: Problem for the student, how long until the solid surface of the Earth is covered in people, giving a meter squared to each person?

How long until the mass of the Earth is converted to people?

Don't worry about practical details, just do the math.

I think there was a line about this in The Matrix. Something about the human species is really a virus.

That was sort of my point, Elon by his comments seemed more concerned about Pensions then sustainable living. I'm not totally convinced his interest in EVs was ever really about sustainability, but if it was, sometimes he seems to have lost his mojo.

Back