Production Nissan EsFlow to Debut at Tokyo 2013!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRONZ

Nissan has revealed their intention to bring a new sportscar placed under the 370Z model, later at the 2013 Tokyo Motor Show.

On an interview with GoAuto, Nissans’ executive vice-president Andy Palmer said that the company plans to extend their sportcar model range beyond the Z and the GT-R current offerings. The new model will be based on the previous Esflow concept, presented about two years ago.

“We think that there is room below that for something very special. And for that we will see you at Tokyo.” said Andy. When asked about what type of power train will be used in the new model he said that it is room for both hybrid and pure electric, thou he seemed to prefer the EV over the hybrid.

“The beauty of pure electric is that there is oodles of torque and power instantaneously. So for a car that is really fun to drive, electric presents with us an opportunity,” Palmer added

http://www.carwale.com/news/10329-nissan-to-debut-electrichybrid-sub-370z-twoseater-at-tokyo-motor-show.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/nissan-suv-370z-sportscar-model-confirmed-for-tokyo-57777.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.inautonews.com/nissan-electrichybrid-sports-car-might-be-unveiled-in-tokyo#.UWdY5yqF8zo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its cute that Nissan is playing "undecided" about the powertrain. Seriously?!? A car that small is packaged entirely around its powertrain! They already know exactly what they are going to do. But I get it, EV is very competitive information and super secret stuff so we will happily play along.

Side note: As I've posted before like at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6834" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, if you like cars and esp. if you're planning a trip to Japan in the near future, I highly recommend Tokyo Motor Show. I've attended 3x.

The exchange rate has finally gotten a lot better again (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=USDJPY=X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). It would've been pretty terrible as a US tourist going there when $1 == ~78 yen.

From http://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, the next TMS is 11/22 thru 12/1/2013.

We/I can start another thread to discuss the show, Japan travel tips, hotels, etc.

Exciting news indeed, however I think it's a stretch hinting that it will be an EV. Possibly a hybrid option, but more likely a small displacement turbo engine (maybe some variation of the Juke's MR engine; MR18DDT? ). My guess it'll be the next generation Silvia (S16). The excitement it would create would be huge. That would put it in a good position to be a competitor to the BRZ/FRS.

S16 or Sport EV, if it'll be priced under $30k and RWD, I'm sold.

First off, TRONZ, I LOVE your enthusiasm and excitement for any hint that Nissan might make the ESFLOW. I'm right there with you in drooling over the possibity. And I know that after what he saw during the advisory group trip to Japan, Daveinolywa has hinted that we are going to be blown away by what Nissan has in the wings for future EVs.

All that said, I imagine that the success of the Toyota/Subaru sub-$30k twin sports coupes has stimulated Nissan to plan a sports coupe range that competes in that price and performance class.

That has me thinking that Nissan will produce at least a gas version to compete in that segment. Whether they'll offer an EV version as well is anybody's guess. IMHO, count on a gas version. Secondly, do the back-of-the-envelope math on pack size, weight and performance in that small of a body, with the current battery tech at the hinted-at acceleration, and what kind of range do you get?

On the other hand Nissan has a lot of battery production capacity that is going unused, and if they can offer different versions of the same platform, ICE, hybrid, and EV, it's easier to lower the cost basis of that platform. In the smaller more aerodynamic car range should improve, unless you keep mashing the A pedal of course. Just because performance is available doesn't mean you need to floor it all the time ;) That said I think they could fit a 30kWh pack for even more range.

I believe Tronz was thinking that was about the concept vehicle and this is possibly the production vehicle. Possibly hair splitting I realize.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/nissan-bringing-an-electric-sub-370z-sports-car-to-tokyo-ar152511.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the past 10 years Nissan/Infiniti have followed a very set pattern for introducing a new model. Concept to gauge reaction. Second concept if revisions are needed. Pre-Production is usually shown after the Corporate go ahead and the Production model is usually shown within 12 months. My guess is we will see Pre-Production in Tokyo and then Production model in Geneva.

As far as the production powertrain, let the theories and tea leaf reading begin. Its what forums are for and the EsFlow has certainly turned a huge corner when Nissan announces production intent. I appreciate that the tuner/drift crowd have been screaming for a Silvia and they make a very good case. Nissan stating that this model will not competing with the BRZ could certainly be dis-information. But looking at the specs of a twin LEAF motor, Miata sized sports car Vs a BRZ, the "Esflow" would rip the throat out of the Subaru driver before he even knew what was happening. I think Nissan's promise of a "Very Special" car is to snatch the performance mantel from $35/$40K gas cars by simply blowing them away. Nissan then completely dominates an entirely new mainstream car category and changes the performance perceptions of EV's forever. IMHO of course.

And no, this will not be a "commuter" car. But the 2015 LEAF that will be introduced in parallel, will!
EDIT - The Gen1 LEAF is planned for a six year production run so will not be an all new car till 2017. But the 2015 model will likely have revisions to available battery/capacity options.

So Nissan says that this new chassis will be positioned below the CMY 370Z. The MSRP for a vanilla, no toppings Z car is $33k. Are they talking about price when they mention that or performance? If price, then can they build a new sports chassis, w/ a significantly upgraded motor-set than the current Gen Leaf, w/ more batts (cuz 24 kWh isn't gonna cut it) and sell it for at or under $30k MSRP? If the answer is no, then I think that suggests that Nissan is looking to make an ICE. If they're suggesting performance would be sub-Z but not the price... well... that could be a problem. If they are somehow misdirecting the press to report on a sports car and come out w/ a performance EV based on the Leafs chassis for under $30k, then that could be problem too since it will not be adequate performance to attract those looking for an affordable performance vehicle, not as long as the Scion FR-S exist for under $25k.

What is the price for a 4ish second 0-60 370Z? Whatever that is, there is the (conventional) price/performance target.

GeekEV said:
...both hybrid and pure electric...
I think that's they key phrase right there. Maybe it will be a series-hybrid like the Volt?
Volt actually is a series/parallel combo switcharoo thingy, depending on it's mood. When they say both hybrid and pure electric they are talking about two different versions of the car, IMO.

Drivesolo said:
If they're suggesting performance would be sub-Z but not the price... well... that could be a problem. If they are somehow misdirecting the press to report on a sports car and come out w/ a performance EV based on the Leafs chassis for under $30k, then that could be problem too since it will not be adequate performance to attract those looking for an affordable performance vehicle, not as long as the Scion FR-S exist for under $25k.
I think there are a number of people similar to myself that want an EV that's better looking and somewhat sportier than a LEAF, with better range, who wouldn't look at the Scion but would be all over the ESFlow.

JRP3 said:
GeekEV said:
...both hybrid and pure electric...
I think that's they key phrase right there. Maybe it will be a series-hybrid like the Volt?
Volt actually is a series/parallel combo switcharoo thingy, depending on it's mood. When they say both hybrid and pure electric they are talking about two different versions of the car, IMO.
Granted. It's primarily a series-hybrid, though. I was simplifying. :)

JRP3 said:
I think there are a number of people similar to myself that want an EV that's better looking and somewhat sportier than a LEAF, with better range, who wouldn't look at the Scion but would be all over the ESFlow.
+1. I am with you on that. Build it and they will come.

TT

TRONZ said:
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/nissan-bringing-an-electric-sub-370z-sports-car-to-tokyo-ar152511.html

For the past 10 years Nissan/Infiniti have followed a very set pattern for introducing a new model. Concept to gauge reaction. Second concept if revisions are needed. Pre-Production is usually shown after the Corporate go ahead and the Production model is usually shown within 12 months. My guess is we will see Pre-Production in Tokyo and then Production model in Geneva.

As far as the production powertrain, let the theories and tea leaf reading begin. Its what forums are for and the EsFlow has certainly turned a huge corner when Nissan announces production intent. I appreciate that the tuner/drift crowd have been screaming for a Silvia and they make a very good case. Nissan stating that this model will not competing with the BRZ could certainly be dis-information. But looking at the specs of a twin LEAF motor, Miata sized sports car Vs a BRZ, the "Esflow" would rip the throat out of the Subaru driver before he even knew what was happening. I think Nissan's promise of a "Very Special" car is to snatch the performance mantel from $35/$40K gas cars by simply blowing them away. Nissan then completely dominates an entirely new mainstream car category and changes the performance perceptions of EV's forever. IMHO of course.

And no, this will not be a "commuter" car. But the 2015 LEAF that will be introduced in parallel, will!

does anyone know for sure this will be a 2+2 rather than a 2 seater? love the design & would be looking for something to replace my mx-5. hoping for a concept more like a modern CRX-Si

ttweed said:
JRP3 said:
+1. I am with you on that. Build it and they will come.

TT
---------------
+2

This is why I leased my LEAF. Less than 2 years remaining on the lease, I welcome a 2 seater or 2+2 sports car EV :)

Found a little tidbit, maybe nothing, But I was surfing the Nissan Website and went into the Future and Concept car Section. All the Future cars had a Trade Mark Symbol of Some sort at the end of thier name. None of the Concept cars, except the Esflow, had trade mark insignias.

Hedge

Back