LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Nissan BladeGlider - Performance EV Concept

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:51 pm

Although technical details are scarce, the deltoid body shape is wrapped in carbonfibre-reinforced plastic, with the interior seating three people: a centrally placed passenger and two passengers either side, as pioneered on the McLaren F1 road car.
(From the piece linked above.)

Looks like Nissan has finally perfected the driverless car! Three passengers and no driver, apparently. What ever happened to proofreading? Or even paying attention to what one is writing...?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:24 am

I have spent the last few days trying to decide if Nissan is serious, getting used to the radical concept, and thinking about all the reasons I might not want to buy one.

But it really comes down to one thing, as expressed in the story below:
...If you don’t want one, you’re dead inside...
http://gas2.org/2013/11/08/nissan-build ... deltawing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nissan, I am quite satisfied with my family truckster LEAF, far and away the best appliance car I've ever driven.

But if you want to place your brand ahead of every other in innovation and performance, you will build the BladeGlider.

Where do I sign up for delivery?
no condition is permanent

jhm614
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000493

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:04 am

Looks like they are considering the need for a hard top as well:
Nissan-BladeGlider-concept-4.jpg
I keep re-reading the various articles and basically chanting... "Hope they make it..." "Hope I can afford it..."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2011 Brilliant Silver SL - 110,000 gasoline free miles so far.
4BL: 06/29/13 @ 27 months, 43,520 miles, 42.56 Ahr. New 12 bar battery: 09/09/13
4BLx2:12/31/16 @ 69 months, 99,475 miles, 42.99 Ahr.

edatoakrun

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:04 am

jhm614 wrote:Looks like they are considering the need for a hard top as well:..

I keep re-reading the various articles and basically chanting... "Hope they make it..." "Hope I can afford it..."
This story is getting better and better.
...the in-wheel electric motors...(have) been confirmed for the production car, a Nissan first...

"I've driven the prototype, and it is unlike anything I have sampled before," said Palmer. "This is the car that takes advantage of all the packaging benefits of an electric powertrain. All that weight and the set-up of the front racks means that the car is incredibly pointy, but the rear track and downforce mean that you can catch the oversteer with amazing ease."

Palmer confirmed the car will make production, sitting below the more traditional Nissan 370Z sports car in the firm's line-up and in terms of price, meaning it will cost significantly below £30,000 despite its hi-tech electric powertrain.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor ... led?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I interpret that as a the ~$40k US price that would probably sell me one.
My own suggested 2017 MY intro target specs would be:

~2,000 Lbs. If Nissan can keep it light (while still meeting fed crash test standards) the handling and acceleration will not disappoint.

~6 m/kWh @ 60 mph, with ~25 kWh available, providing ~150 mile highway range.

~$40,000 base price.
The one option I hope buyers will have is to choose either a fixed hard top or a simple and light (carbon fiber?) removable (multi-panel?) hard top that fits in the frunk and/or trunk.
Last edited by edatoakrun on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TRONZ
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 202

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:39 am

I really can't argue with the view from the single seat cockpit. If the design is as fast, smooth, efficient and agile as we know it could be, this would be an amazing (unique) driving experience!

Now about those back seats, "targa" roof and blind spots.
-The rear seats have just about no visibility out the sides of the vehicle and appear slightly lower that the driver. With a hard top on it would be just about cave like back there. If the car is very agile, anyone prone to motion sickness will get very eager to revenge puke down the back of the drivers shirt. Ask people who have spent time in the back of an FJ Cruiser on a twisty mountain road.
-The roof appears to be removable. How big, how heavy, where do you put it and what happens if you are supposed to leave it at home and the rain shows up? If any design needed a transparent or semi opaque roof panel(s), this is it.
-Roof on, the back third of the design is a blind spot. Cameras/sensors would be essential but the public is still not comfortable with these technologies. Those passengers need to get a bit more cozy in the shoulders so you can wrap the glass more and farther back.

I am certain Nissan is well aware of this stuff and exploring the best choices. They should have called this car the LEAP because its going to be A LOT of work! I applaud Nissan for wanting to take the harder but more rewarding path as it could really solidify their foundation in new Intellectual Property that others may have trouble duplicating.

So if I were Bancon, I would revisit and explore glider design and their tandem two seat arrangements. Then think "SportBike" and wrap that side glass farther back and very tight. If your going to put someone in the trunk, give them a great and thrilling view. Two seat tandem is lighter, much less blind spot, a much smaller lighter roof panel to remove and stow plus there would no issue of asymmetrical balance to figure out.
Last edited by TRONZ on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every start, is as good as any start can ever be. - Douglas Darden

Stats;
2011 LEAF SL VIN#202, Delivered 01.30.11. Now, by far, the oldest LEAF in Colorado.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:45 am

It appears to borrow a number of design elements from the DeltaWing race car., for which Nissan provided the engine..
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

TRONZ
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 202

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:55 am

TomT wrote:It appears to borrow a number of design elements from the DeltaWing race car., for which Nissan provided the engine..
Deltawing was good. ZEOD will be the real test. Ben Bowlby clearly has job security with Nissan for awhile.
Every start, is as good as any start can ever be. - Douglas Darden

Stats;
2011 LEAF SL VIN#202, Delivered 01.30.11. Now, by far, the oldest LEAF in Colorado.

edatoakrun

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:59 am

TRONZ wrote: ...-The rear seats have just about no visibility out the sides of the vehicle and appear slightly lower that the driver. With a hard top on it would be just about cave like back there. If the car is very agile, anyone prone to motion sickness will get very eager to revenge puke down the back of the drivers shirt. Ask people who have spent time in the back of an FJ Cruiser on a twisty mountain road.
-The roof appears to be removable. How big, how heavy, where do you put it and what happens if you are supposed to leave it at home and the rain shows up? If any design needed a transparent or semi opaque roof panel(s), this is it.
-Roof on, the back third of the design is a blind spot. Cameras/sensors would be essential but the public is still not comfortable with these technologies. Those passengers need to get a bit more cozy in the shoulders so you can wrap the glass more and farther back.
This is a concept, far (but not too far, I hope) removed from the production BEV, which will, no doubt, have a less extreme final design.
...The BladeGlider concept will be revealed at the Tokyo motor show, and is one vision of how the concept will work. Styling of the production car is expected to change, with the BladeGlider being described by design chief Shiro Nakamura as "an extreme interpretation" of how the car could look...
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor ... led?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At first, I thought the extreme 1+2 seating was just not gonna happen.

But now I hope it is kept, rather than expanding the size enough to fit 2+2 seating.

Just allow the back seats to fold down or be removed for cargo space, OK Nissan?

jhm614
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000493

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:32 pm

TRONZ wrote:They should have called this car the LEAP
Wow! I love it! A LEAP forward, A LEAP into the future... etc. Great name!
2011 Brilliant Silver SL - 110,000 gasoline free miles so far.
4BL: 06/29/13 @ 27 months, 43,520 miles, 42.56 Ahr. New 12 bar battery: 09/09/13
4BLx2:12/31/16 @ 69 months, 99,475 miles, 42.99 Ahr.

GIBBER
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 409884

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:11 pm

To sum up how I feel about this car........................
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You must unlearn what you have learned" -Yoda
200 Km Club

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”