GRA

Re: Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:49 pm

ABG:
Toyota Mirai second generation will break cover in 2020
It will benefit from six additional years of engineering experience
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/26/toy ... eneration/
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:26 pm

Been lazy the past couple of months and haven't posted the U.S. Mirai sales numbers, but they were 98 in August. If I can find July's # I'll post it.

Update: Found it. 126 in July.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:23 pm

U.S. September Mirai sales, 62.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:13 am

^^^
Those sales numbers are comical. I really wonder if it was worth it for Toyota to go that direction for CA ZEV credits vs. building another compliance BEV.

Meanwhile, for the last few months, Tesla seems to be selling over 10K units/month in the US.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:56 pm

cwerdna wrote:
^^^
Those sales numbers are comical. I really wonder if it was worth it for Toyota to go that direction for CA ZEV credits vs. building another compliance BEV.

Meanwhile, for the last few months, Tesla seems to be selling over 10K units/month in the US.

Yes, the Mirai really needs to look better and add some range. Still, I see them locally a fair amount, and now that the H2 supply problem appears to be under control and new station openings can start up again, we'll see if things improve. But the biggest issue remains the price of the cars and the fuel.

As to Tesla, their U.S. sales trend doesn't look good, although I expect we'll see another spike starting in November and increasing in December as people rush to beat the subsidy expiration.

mux
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 6177

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:19 pm

I wonder if the new Mirai will even be able to increase range; with the stations being standardized at 700 bar and the non-interior space in a sedan being about as fully packed as it can already be, I wonder where the additional pressure vessels could sit. They're already underperforming w.r.t. most BEVs in both effective range and charging speed, so they need to up their game if they want to make the new properly series produced Mirai a success!

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:26 pm

mux wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:19 pm
I wonder if the new Mirai will even be able to increase range; with the stations being standardized at 700 bar and the non-interior space in a sedan being about as fully packed as it can already be, I wonder where the additional pressure vessels could sit. They're already underperforming w.r.t. most BEVs in both effective range and charging speed, so they need to up their game if they want to make the new properly series produced Mirai a success!

They could put the additional tanks in outboard nacelles. You know, like Star Trek. ;)

Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

mux
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 6177

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:10 am

I would genuinely consider something that ridiculous from an arch-conservative manufacturer like Toyota.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:13 am

cwerdna wrote:
^^^

If Toyota went with a BEV, they couldn't continue to make their claim that they are building the future. It would either be trying to catch up with Tesla (admitting they are behind), or an obvious compliance play (admitting they aren't serious).

With a FCEV, Toyota can still trumpet the claim that they are "leap-frogging" the current crop of BEVs. It may be more expensive, but hey that's the price of building the "true" future technology. At least some people are buying it. Maybe even the leadership at Toyota.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:30 pm

I should probably take down that picture, huh?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”