OrientExpress
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:30 am

EVDRIVER wrote:Did I mention this thread is the majority of traffic on MNL or should I say MTESLA now?
Lemmings instinct is to follow their peers.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:32 am

WetEV wrote:Yes, I've noticed that a majority of traffic is Tesla fanboys telling LEAF drivers and potential drivers just how great Tesla is (don't mind Musk's tweets) and how horrible Nissan is, and how horrible the LEAF is.

My LEAF is just about to pass 50k miles, is past 5 years, has all 12 capacity bars, and has given me basically no trouble...
This whole collection of OT posts on "how bad/great is Tesla/LEAF" should maybe be moved out of the 3 thread and somewhere else.

My take:

I drove my LEAF for 4 1/2 years and loved it all the time. It was a great commuter car (and still is, because the person I sold it to works at my same company and I see it a few times a week). It is a great EV with several really annoying shortcomings. The problems with the traction battery in some climates is the worst of these. Nissan's current approach to the LEAF continues to make it not the only car to own if you want to go all-in on being EV-only.

I wanted to go all-in on being EV-only. It took a lot of convincing to make my wife give up her CRV, but she eventually did.

I'm also maybe in a different place then many people. I could outright buy a Tesla if I wanted to. In 2014 I choose the LEAF over the S because I wasn't ready to pay that much (and because my wife really hated the older seats in the S). Many people I've talked to I've steered to a LEAF as a 2nd (commuter) car because buying a Tesla (and having huge car payments) would be a mistake for them.

Tesla cars are pretty amazing -- but that's not to say they are perfect. If anything, they are a mixed bag. They have some quirks (the dash on the 3), terrible design choices (falcon wing doors), but overall they are a great piece of engineering. As a company they do seem at times to lack good direction and guidance. Musk at times certainly doesn't make it easier to like them.

I feel the attitude here on MNL is lots of people who want to find fault in what Tesla has accomplished. It almost seems to me that the attitude is "I can't afford it, so I have to say how horrible it is", but it seems to transcend even that. All the FUD is incredible ("they'll be bankrupt"; "no demand"; etc).
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
85K 100% BEV miles since '14
ICE free since '18

EVDRIVER

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:03 am

cwerdna wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:What drops out of the sky in your area? Other than my windshield nothing ever hits the roof or back window of my cars. Sure must be something large to damage glass. Most reputable insurance companies cover glass with no rate increase but I doubt the roof of a car is a concern. How many silly excuses can you come up with as to why you won’t buy one? If the roof was metal would it be that you don’t want to pay for AP hardware because you won’t use it? You and Loren should come up with a 100 reasons I won’t buy a Tesla spreadsheet. Non-buyers would find it useful.
Tell the bolded part to the guy at my work (I don't know him, but he mentioned it in Slack) who had both the cracked roof and some clear damage due to debris, so Tesla wouldn't cover it.

This guy looks like he had debris damage: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... ck.121199/. The guy at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... of.139656/ claims "Tesla service said they are replacing rock-chipped glass roof panels every week on Model 3's."

As for insurance, no, I'm not necessarily saying they'll raise insurance for you/a single customer specifically. But, if it becomes a problem, that company or most or all of them will in general have higher rates on the 3 due to amount and frequency of claims.

FWIW, I probably wouldn't have gotten a 3 with "autopilot" enabled. Not worth thousands of dollars to me for a buggy system that might result in me sustaining thousands of dollars of damage.
So one person and another that "claims" something that is likely windshields not roofs since that is common. Where are all the damaged sunroofs out there? Again, there are all sorts of road hazards in different conditions bit I don't see this as a big issue. A roof respray costs more than a glass panel and takes more time. Regardless there are more important things to worry about since shit happens on any car with aerodynamic lines and the internet is full of exceptions. Lots of Tesla's are broken into so should I not buy one? Guess what, so are other cars and in even higher frequency. How do some here even enjoy life or pull the trigger on a purchase without endless analysis and "it's not perfect" rationale. What car has a force field and meets every nit picky need? You could make a mint selling roof protector/sun shields for the M3....

EVDRIVER

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:07 am

OrientExpress wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:Did I mention this thread is the majority of traffic on MNL or should I say MTESLA now?
Says the sheep as they follow Nissan over the lithium cliffs:) I'm sure things will bounce with the LR LEAF that is going to arrive tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. Or was that the infinity that was launching years ago? I'll tweet Carlos and ask, they don't monitor his tweets do they?

By the way, the lemmings are former LEAF owners they just went over to places like TMC.

EVDRIVER

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
OrientExpress wrote:
Says the sheep as they follow Nissan over the lithium cliffs:) I'm sure things will bounce with the LR LEAF that is going to arrive tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. Or was that the infinity that was launching years ago? I'll tweet Carlos and ask, they don't monitor his tweets do they?

By the way, the lemmings are former LEAF owners they just went over to places like TMC.

When Nissan gets their act together after 8 plus years I may reconsider but I'm not holding my breath based on history.

Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:26 am

I have no big issues with the mediocre reliability of Tesla cars, especially given I have a service center 5 minutes from my home. I, however, don't want a pile of beautiful scrap to occupy my garage space for more than a couple of weeks and otherwise lose its resale value in case they go under and my car fails. Now that a lease option is available driving a 3 might be a less risky endeavor.

Anyone knows if the 35k model, if it's still a thing, can be leased?
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

EVDRIVER

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:46 am

Valdemar wrote:I have no big issues with the mediocre reliability of Tesla cars, especially given I have a service center 5 minutes from my home. I, however, don't want a pile of beautiful scrap to occupy my garage space for more than a couple of weeks and otherwise lose its resale value in case they go under and my car fails. Now that a lease option is available driving a 3 might be a less risky endeavor.

Anyone knows if the 35k model, if it's still a thing, can be leased?
A dealer would and likely the best place for an accurate answer.

Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:03 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
Valdemar wrote: Anyone knows if the 35k model, if it's still a thing, can be leased?
With the accuracy window being less than one week likely.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

EVDRIVER

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:24 pm

Valdemar wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
Valdemar wrote: Anyone knows if the 35k model, if it's still a thing, can be leased?
With the accuracy window being less than one week likely.
Once you order you are locked in.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:15 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Sounds like a robust CPO market is coming! :)
Not according to Tesla. The lease has no buyout option, and the cars are intended for the Tesla Network afterwards. So no CPO sales planned.
The no purchase option at the lease end is unusual. But, for the using for their rideshare network... considering how much Tesla keeps changing their mind, I wouldn't be surprised if that's not totally true by lease end. We'll see.
Wow the confidence in a 3 year forward statement by Tesla is ahh??? Refreshing! :P
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 25,185 miles SOH 92.23%
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”