lpickup
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16138

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:21 am

This may sound pedantic, but I think we need to get some terminology straight, because I am confused about what you are saying.

The CHARGER is inside the car. So let's not use that term or anything outside the car.

The EVSE is the device that plugs into the wall (or is hardwired to the breaker panel) on one end, and has the charging cable and connector that you plug into your car on the other end. For a permanent installation this may be mounted on the wall, or it may be the the portable unit that came with your car. Tesla calls the wall mounted version of this a WALL CONNECTOR and the portable one that comes with the car a UMC (Universal Mobile Connector). The Tesla does NOT come with a WALL CONNECTOR (this a a $500 item, which is actually a pretty good deal - https://shop.tesla.com/product/wall-connector), but it does come with a UMC.

The J1772 ADAPTER is a small device that has a female J1772 connector on one end and a male Tesla connector on the other. You would attach this to the end of a standard EVSE connector so that you can plug it into your Tesla. This adapter comes with the car. If you want a spare, it costs $95 from Tesla (https://shop.tesla.com/product/sae-j177 ... ng-adapter) although I found one online for a bit less.

The NEMA 14-50 ADAPTER is a small cord with a NEMA 14-50 plug on it that plugs into the Tesla UMC so that you can plug it into a NEMA 14-50 (240V) outlet. There are other similar adapters that can be used to plug into other 120V and 240V outlets. They used to include the NEMA 14-50 ADAPTER with the vehicle, but that is now something you need to buy extra (about $35 - https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters)

With all that out of the way, here is where you lost me: "Another issue is I currently have my connector hooked up to wall charger." What are you calling a connector and what are you calling a wall charger? I'm assuming you just mean that you have a wall mounted EVSE that you insert the connector into and it holds it neatly in place. It's not actually "connected" in an electrical sense. It's just a plastic piece that neatly holds the connector in place. Let's call this the HOLSTER, although in your case it's built into to your EVSE. You can get these standalone for $15 or so (https://www.amazon.com/J1772-electric-h ... B00TBW1NRM). You can get similar for the Tesla connector from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Motors-102 ... 01EO5BCR6/) but most people just 3D print their own, or like me, just lay the cord over the charging station. It doesn't NEED to hook to anything. It is true though that with the J1772 ADAPTER attached, it will not fit into your EVSE's holster. You will have to remove it each time, or like I do, just lay the cord over the EVSE.
...Lance

Deep Blue Metallic 2018 Tesla Model 3 (31849) (delivered: 7/13/18)
Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310) (bought: 12/23/16 sold: 7/5/18)
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138) (delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16)
NOGA$4ME Blog

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:56 am

The charger is inside the car. So let's not use that term or anything outside the car.

Actually, a DC Fast Charger is a charger and is an installation outside of the car. It bypasses the onboard charger (although it does communicate with it) to charge the car's battery pack directly, with high voltage, high amperage direct current. What you wrote applies to L-1 and L-2 charging, not to DC Fast Charging.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

lpickup
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16138

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:12 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
The charger is inside the car. So let's not use that term or anything outside the car.

Actually, a DC Fast Charger is a charger and is an installation outside of the car. It bypasses the onboard charger (although it does communicate with it) to charge the car's battery pack directly, with high voltage, high amperage direct current. What you wrote applies to L-1 and L-2 charging, not to DC Fast Charging.
Yes, quite true, although I assumed the OP did not have a DC fast charger at home :) I suppose if I can be pedantic, then it's fair game for everyone.

By the way, I think this fact is an overlooked advantage that Tesla has over all other charging network providers.

Basically the chargers that are inside Tesla Supercharger cabinets are copies of the chargers inside their vehicles. This gives them the R&D advantage of not having to design a charger from scratch, and a manufacturing advantage in that they are already producing these things in extremely high volume. The chargers that go into commercial DC fast chargers are custom-designed relatively low volume units. Add in the fact that charging networks like ElectrifyAmerica and EVgo don't make their own equipment, but rather buy them from 3rd parties, adding an additional layer in the supply chain (that needs to make money). For the same spend, Tesla should be able to install many more Superchargers than ElectrifyAmerica can. And that's before we even consider the synergies with V3 Supercharger sites and Tesla's solar and energy storage businesses.
...Lance

Deep Blue Metallic 2018 Tesla Model 3 (31849) (delivered: 7/13/18)
Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310) (bought: 12/23/16 sold: 7/5/18)
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138) (delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16)
NOGA$4ME Blog

EVDRIVER

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:12 am

lpickup wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:12 am
LeftieBiker wrote:

Yes, quite true, although I assumed the OP did not have a DC fast charger at home :) I suppose if I can be pedantic, then it's fair game for everyone.

By the way, I think this fact is an overlooked advantage that Tesla has over all other charging network providers.

Basically the chargers that are inside Tesla Supercharger cabinets are copies of the chargers inside their vehicles. This gives them the R&D advantage of not having to design a charger from scratch, and a manufacturing advantage in that they are already producing these things in extremely high volume. The chargers that go into commercial DC fast chargers are custom-designed relatively low volume units. Add in the fact that charging networks like ElectrifyAmerica and EVgo don't make their own equipment, but rather buy them from 3rd parties, adding an additional layer in the supply chain (that needs to make money). For the same spend, Tesla should be able to install many more Superchargers than ElectrifyAmerica can. And that's before we even consider the synergies with V3 Supercharger sites and Tesla's solar and energy storage businesses.
Bingo! Not to mention stacking them makes the output scalable and they can be distributed or aggregated to work in different installation environments. The V3 stalls also have much narrower cables.

tvo7
Delivery Date: 27 Feb 2012

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:46 pm

lpickup wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:21 am
This may sound pedantic, but I think we need to get some terminology straight, because I am confused about what you are saying.

The CHARGER is inside the car. So let's not use that term or anything outside the car.

The EVSE is the device that plugs into the wall (or is hardwired to the breaker panel) on one end, and has the charging cable and connector that you plug into your car on the other end. For a permanent installation this may be mounted on the wall, or it may be the the portable unit that came with your car. Tesla calls the wall mounted version of this a WALL CONNECTOR and the portable one that comes with the car a UMC (Universal Mobile Connector). The Tesla does NOT come with a WALL CONNECTOR (this a a $500 item, which is actually a pretty good deal - https://shop.tesla.com/product/wall-connector), but it does come with a UMC.

The J1772 ADAPTER is a small device that has a female J1772 connector on one end and a male Tesla connector on the other. You would attach this to the end of a standard EVSE connector so that you can plug it into your Tesla. This adapter comes with the car. If you want a spare, it costs $95 from Tesla (https://shop.tesla.com/product/sae-j177 ... ng-adapter) although I found one online for a bit less.

The NEMA 14-50 ADAPTER is a small cord with a NEMA 14-50 plug on it that plugs into the Tesla UMC so that you can plug it into a NEMA 14-50 (240V) outlet. There are other similar adapters that can be used to plug into other 120V and 240V outlets. They used to include the NEMA 14-50 ADAPTER with the vehicle, but that is now something you need to buy extra (about $35 - https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters)

With all that out of the way, here is where you lost me: "Another issue is I currently have my connector hooked up to wall charger." What are you calling a connector and what are you calling a wall charger? I'm assuming you just mean that you have a wall mounted EVSE that you insert the connector into and it holds it neatly in place. It's not actually "connected" in an electrical sense. It's just a plastic piece that neatly holds the connector in place. Let's call this the HOLSTER, although in your case it's built into to your EVSE. You can get these standalone for $15 or so (https://www.amazon.com/J1772-electric-h ... B00TBW1NRM). You can get similar for the Tesla connector from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Motors-102 ... 01EO5BCR6/) but most people just 3D print their own, or like me, just lay the cord over the charging station. It doesn't NEED to hook to anything. It is true though that with the J1772 ADAPTER attached, it will not fit into your EVSE's holster. You will have to remove it each time, or like I do, just lay the cord over the EVSE.
Sorry for confusing you, I don't know the terminology very well. Yes, my EVGO wall mount has the holster holding the connector in place. When I get home, I take the connector out of its holster and plug connector into my LEAF. Thanks for idea. if the connector doesn't need to be in the holster when not in use, I can just lay it over the charging station with the Tesla adapter attached. I thought the the connector had to be in the holster when not in use.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”