cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: Chevrolet Bolt

Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:52 am

GRA wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:32 pm
I'd have to be an existing Costco member living in San Francisco! I don't mind spending$60 to join Costco if I could get that rate, but it seems you had to be a member as of September 1st. And I don't live in the City!
https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/costc ... ole.36344/ has some chatter about the Costco deal, including a possible loophole and a possible date change but ummm... Sept 30th has already passed.

I do confirm at the bottom it says https://www.costcoauto.com/save/model.a ... model=bolt
‡To qualify for the Chevrolet Costco member-only incentive, you must: (1) be a current Costco member by September 30, 2020; (2) register with Costco Auto Program online or through its call center to receive a certificate with your unique promotion code; (3) present your certificate and unique promotion code to any Chevrolet dealer at time of visit; (4) take delivery between October 1, 2020, and January 4, 2021, of a new and eligible 2020 or 2021 Chevrolet Blazer, Colorado, Silverado 1500, Silverado 2500, Silverado 3500, Suburban, Tahoe or Traverse, or 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer to receive the $1,000 incentive; or 2020 or 2021 Chevrolet Bolt EV to receive the $3,000 incentive. The member-only incentive will be applied at time of eligible purchase or lease and is compatible with most publicly available Chevrolet incentives for which you qualify. This incentive cannot be combined with HR Voucher Coupon. Subject to change without notice.
I haven't followed anything about this deal so I can't comment about whether there's a catch or an actual good deal.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:39 am

I came across https://www.facebook.com/richrebuilds/p ... 6179008756 in a Bolt group. He (Rich Rebuilds) says
Let the record show. I am officially apologizing for all of the negative yet hilarious things I’ve said about the Chevy bolt. It is absolutely, positively THE BEST electric car value on a budget you can get today. You can literally get a used one for 13k. 13k for 240 miles of range!
I had no idea he'd made fun of Bolts but I knew he had done all sorts of Tesla repair work, usually on salvage ones. He posts a lot of videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/RichRebuilds/videos, a few of which I've seen.

https://insideevs.com/news/421995/2020- ... rge-video/ may be be useful to GRA, but they only go from 4% to 80% on a 2020 Bolt...

From a post in a Bolt group, they posted of pic of a screenshot for a deal at Cumming Chevrolet in National City, CA. I drilled down and found https://www.cummingchevrolet.com/Vehicl ... 8790#close. They allegedly have 2020 Bolt LT's with DC FC inlet at $21,685 and $23,615. I wonder if it's legit.

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:58 pm

There a good little car. I can’t figure out why there is still at least a couple dozen brand new 2019’s in this province. Maybe the dealers aren’t budging. Weird.
2020 Model 3 Tesla. AWD with FSD. Deep metallic blue. Our daily driver.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh Culis Red. Sold. Was my daily driver. Loved that car.
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

GRA

Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:38 pm

Has anyone tried putting a bike in the back of a Bolt (with the seats down)?I've got a hybrid with a large (61cm) frame, and I'm curious if anyone had succeeded in fitting one back there.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

cwerdna

Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:44 pm

No, but Googling for site:chevybolt.org bike in back turns up some chatter. Sounds like people tend to get hitch mounted racks. You could also go with a rack on the top, but at least on '19 Bolt, only the Premier trim has roof rails. It was n/a on LT.

The above isn't a topic of interest of mine so it's not something I've looked into.

'19 Bolt Premier

GRA

Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:02 pm

I'd foud one mention on mychevybolt.com of someone who'd gotten their wife's road bike back there but nonecre men's frames; everything else I saw was about racks. Being able to put my bike back there would make rental pick up and drop-off easier for me, and should I lease one I prefer to carry a single bike inside for aero reasons. Multi bikes can go on a rack.

I think I'm going to try and rent one next week even if the weather/AQI doesn't cooperate. I hate to waste a 500+ miles RT without doing anything, at the destination, but I need the energy and charging time data as well as other practical info to help me decide whether to lease, so it's worth it.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:01 pm

Bolt leases have been designed, so far, to prevent you from buying the car, with outlandish residuals. Maybe that is changing. Still, if this is just a bridge car, that doesn't really matter.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:29 am

Re: GRA's number 4 point, I don't know his route and I'm certainly not familiar at all with that part of the CA. Other than Tracy, I'd never even heard of the other towns. I had to look them up on Plugshare and yeah, there's not a lot of CCS charging in/around some of those places. :(

Besides J1772 (better bet), maybe GRA can borrow a https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapt ... PTRSTB.htm or equivalent to use https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging, if he finds any. It'd be even better if he could also borrow a NEMA 14-50 EVSE and try to find some 14-50 plugs. In my over 7 years of EV driving, I've never ever had the means to charge using such an adapter nor NEMA 14-50, so I've never tried.

If he had an alternative trip that took him to places https://drivethearc.com served well, he could get some free or discounted CCS juice, depending on when he showed up at a given station. I just used DTA to get free juice tonight. :) Left home with about 58% SoC and left the DC charger with ~94 or 95% SoC. I didn't want to go much higher as I don't want my car to sit at such high SoC for really long periods of time. The rate was down to 10 kW by that point but thermal management (well, at least the AC compressor) didn't kick in. I started at 44 kW but IIRC, the particular chargers I've used on DTA don't really go much higher than that, certainly not 50 kW.

I've raised the hood while DC charging including tonight and it seems the battery coolant pump still runs even if the compressor doesn't. The hot and cold refrigerant lines were just outside air temp, neither hot nor cold. I could feel a bit of warmth from somewhere under the hood but the radiator fan wasn't running.

When thermal management kicks in, one of the lines gets hot and the other gets very cold (w/condensation building on it). They connect to a Mahle expansion valve. And, the (liquid Dexcool) coolant hoses for battery cooling/heating when the compressor runs during charging/battery thermal management become cold + the radiator fan runs, blowing hot air into the engine compartment.

5) On other tricks: on a rental, you probably won't be able to use the My Chevrolet app. It's the only way to see a 1% increment % SoC display, short of using Torque Pro w/the right PIDs (I still haven't gotten around to this). Bolt has no % SoC display, only 20 battery bars on the left (worth about 5% each) and 1 to 3 GOMs. There is this:
Radio Power Down : This allows for automatic conservation of high voltage battery power based on level of battery charge.
Select Off, 2%, 4%, 6%, 8%, or 10%. When the selected high voltage battery power level is reached, a message will show on the infotainment display
which you could set.

Also, if both the stupid power loss and cord theft alerts are enabled (both fricking on by default on '17 to '19 Bolts, and probably '20), if you unplug the J1772 handle when the car's locked, the stupid honk alarm will sound after about 10 seconds: HONK HONK HONK! Cycle will repeat for awhile. It doesn't matter if the car's done charging. It blows my mind that ever since '11 Volt, that GM would continue to ship ALL their EVs/PHEVs with these stupid settings on by default. We had this problem at work w/Volt, Spark EV and Bolt + at (formerly) free public L2 charging. From Bolt FB groups, many people don't know that they can be disabled.

On the '11 Volt, supposedly there's no UI and I hear that you had to take to the dealer to disable it but I think one of the disables or both don't actually work. I know of no other brand of EV/PHEV w/such stupid honk alarms for unplug and my work had virtually all of them.

Also, there are some Bolts with bad cells/module which can exhibit symptoms like range collapse (like https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21700). https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/range ... ost-559615 has a quick example. When I have time, I plan to run my Bolt really low, maybe to dead or near dead near a charger to see if my car's defective. I don't know since I don't think I've ever run my Bolt very low.

'19 Bolt Premier

GRA

Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:22 pm

Reserved the car on Turo for Mon.-Fri., have the EA (Pass+) and Chargepoint apps, so I should be good to go.

Re J1772s on trips, those can only be charging of last resort or an occasional top off, as the places I go/sleep lack them

14-50s are even less use for me, as they're almost invariably at RV parks which, with one exception (Silver Lake on the June Lake Loop), are nowhere near the trailheads. Also, I have no desire to stay at or pay for staying at them, as my typical campsite consists of a groundckoth, pad and sleeping bag on any flat spot, available almost anywhere for free, and lacking screaming children, loud TVs and stereos or drunken parties.
In any case, as the owner of the RV park in Lee Vining told me when I was checking out potential charging sites a few years back, they are completely booked for the season months in advance, so I'd have to hope someone cancelled at the last minute to have a chance of charging. Silver Lake was equally full when I parked at the trailhead last time.

If I do lease I'd certainly have a portable EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 plug or adapter to take along, but that's essentially for emergencies. Only enroute QCs meet my needs, as most of the places I park my car lack not only charging but electricity.

cwerdna

Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:35 pm

Also, install the EVgo app. I can't speak to whether if you choose PAYG vs. membership (https://www.evgo.com/charging-plans/) whether you're locked in for a month.

That said, ChargePoint and EVgo have a roaming agreemnt (https://www.evgo.com/ev-drivers/partner-roaming/ and https://www.chargepoint.com/about/news/ ... ationwide/). Apparently, you can start charging on EVgo DC FCs with a ChargePoint account/card.

As I think I've posted about before, I encountered a Bolt driver (who didn't seem to know much) at a DrivetheARC (and thus EVgo) location who was roaming. He started his charge using either CP card or app and was paying when he could've gotten totally free DC FC juice at that charger. At that time, all DTA promo tickets were for 100% discount. He was also charging to very full so his charging rate had really fallen. He paid a pretty penny for that charge.

That's too bad about the lack of electricity at places you might be at. Even 8+ hours at 120 volts * 12 amps is better than nothing. And, overnight while on J1772 will get you plenty of juice. Even if it's only 208 volts * 30 amps max, that'll get you about 6 kW, so for an 8 hour stop, 48 kWh would've come out of the station. As the marketing folks at Nissan said at a Leaf test drive EVent I went to in Nov 2010 (before Leaf went on sale), how many hours at day is your car sitting idle doing nothing? Those are opportunities where your car can be charged.

'19 Bolt Premier

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”