Carlos may have been thrown under a bus and I have genuine sympathy for all the GM folks about to lose their jobs.
That said, there’s some genuine irony that for years the internet chatter has been:
1) Elon Musk is an actual fraud
2) PHEVs make much more sense than BEVs and will prevail.
3) Tesla can’t make a profit on the Model 3
4) Once the “big guys” in the auto business decide to, they can just spit out products that will crush Tesla.
1) Carlos Ghosn & Rupert Stadler are in jail.
2) GM just cancelled the Volt after years of slow sales combined with high incentives.
3) Tesla is actually generating a legitimate profit and free cash flow now that capex has slowed.
4) The I-Pace arrived with 235 miles of range out of a 90 kWh pack, the eTron is still missing in action, and Nissan is having a helluva time putting out a 60 kWh battery pack in a car that rides on an eight year old chassis coming down an existing high volume assembly line.
Rivian also looks to be potentially legit and might blindside the Detroit 3 profit centers if they execute.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range (100% charge @ 35k miles shows 4.8% degradation)
2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement (~35% degradation @ ~40k miles)
2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.