EatsShootsandLeafs
Posts: 678
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 am
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:46 am

LeftieBiker wrote:If he gets off easy he will have Trump to thank. The bar has been lowered (if not dropped on the ground and then buried in a trench) for authority figures abusing social media.
Musk's tweets have nothing to do with Trump. Musk has been lying for years about his company. It's just that the SEC finally has gotten tired of watching it.

I do not believe he is capable of changing. If he were he already would have. The odds of him winning in a head bashing contest with the SEC is between 0-1%. He needlessly picks fights he cannot win. It's self-destructive behavior. In a way he is goaded on by his personality cult who refuse to see his flaws.

User avatar
LTLFTcomposite
Posts: 4780
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:06 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Central FL

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:00 am

EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:If he gets off easy he will have Trump to thank. The bar has been lowered (if not dropped on the ground and then buried in a trench) for authority figures abusing social media.
Musk's tweets have nothing to do with Trump. Musk has been lying for years about his company. It's just that the SEC finally has gotten tired of watching it.

I do not believe he is capable of changing. If he were he already would have. The odds of him winning in a head bashing contest with the SEC is between 0-1%. He needlessly picks fights he cannot win. It's self-destructive behavior. In a way he is goaded on by his personality cult who refuse to see his flaws.
I recall Steve Jobs was the same way, although poking the SEC with a stick certainly adds a new dimension. A guy who has been right about a lot of things can be pretty dangerous because nobody dares challenge him when he's wrong.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

EatsShootsandLeafs
Posts: 678
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 am
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:If he gets off easy he will have Trump to thank. The bar has been lowered (if not dropped on the ground and then buried in a trench) for authority figures abusing social media.
Musk's tweets have nothing to do with Trump. Musk has been lying for years about his company. It's just that the SEC finally has gotten tired of watching it.

I do not believe he is capable of changing. If he were he already would have. The odds of him winning in a head bashing contest with the SEC is between 0-1%. He needlessly picks fights he cannot win. It's self-destructive behavior. In a way he is goaded on by his personality cult who refuse to see his flaws.
I recall Steve Jobs was the same way, although poking the SEC with a stick certainly adds a new dimension. A guy who has been right about a lot of things can be pretty dangerous because nobody dares challenge him when he's wrong.
Was jobs really this outwardly belligerent? Musk's twitter behavior in the past year has been beyond the pale. The cave diver stuff was truly idiotic, his $420 tweet, it's all indicative of somebody who doesn't know how to act properly.

I think you are right, though. He's so smart he thinks he's always right, everybody else is wrong, and what he says is true. It's signs of some personality issues. Perhaps a combination of narcissism with a side of grandiose delusional personality disorder. These are also why when he is clearly wrong, and gets scolded, he cannot learn--cannot internalize that what he did was wrong and he's actually wrong. He's highly defensive and lashes out at correction. This is surely also why the turnover rate of his top executives is through the roof.

User avatar
LTLFTcomposite
Posts: 4780
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:06 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Central FL

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:40 am

^ Totally agree.

Meanwhile I wonder what the big news tomorrow is. Up nearly 5% against the backdrop of SEC actions suggests something unexpected, and somebody knows.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

EatsShootsandLeafs
Posts: 678
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 am
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:^ Totally agree.

Meanwhile I wonder what the big news tomorrow is. Up nearly 5% against the backdrop of SEC actions suggests something unexpected, and somebody knows.
I no longer can even guess as to what in hell motivates the price of TSLA. The material news against TSLA in the past week has been [very] negative, yet this happens. I think it's a stock that should be able to be heavily shorted, but back to the "market insane longer than you can stay solvent". Very dangerous game, so I don't play it.

User avatar
LTLFTcomposite
Posts: 4780
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:06 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Central FL

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:29 am

EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:Very dangerous game, so I don't play it.
What, you don't want to play chicken with Larry Elison? :-D

In another odd twist this is something else you could thank Trump for... IMO there are verrry deep pockets that no way will sit by and let Tesla falter, certainly not while they have a few of them parked in the garage. $900M bond payment is like a bar tab to some of these folks. Pretty sure they won't be building any factories in NY though.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

EatsShootsandLeafs
Posts: 678
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 am
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:15 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:Very dangerous game, so I don't play it.
What, you don't want to play chicken with Larry Elison? :-D

In another odd twist this is something else you could thank Trump for... IMO there are verrry deep pockets that no way will sit by and let Tesla falter, certainly not while they have a few of them parked in the garage. $900M bond payment is like a bar tab to some of these folks. Pretty sure they won't be building any factories in NY though.
That's an interesting point. A lot of well heeled people do have the cars. They are nice cars. So they may be willing to add that personal touch to a loan so that they can keep getting it serviced :0

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 15495
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:47 pm

Musk's tweets have nothing to do with Trump. Musk has been lying for years about his company. It's just that the SEC finally has gotten tired of watching it.
I'm talking about the regulatory response to the tweets, not the motivation for them - although one could argue that with Trump getting away with horrible Twitter behavior, others now think that it's low-risk.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5775
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:29 pm

EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:Indeed, he must. They will force him to since he insists on being petulant. Will be fun to see how big a smack down he gets from the court over this. I'm sure he'll tweet about it like an emo teen shortly thereafter. Already his followers think the problem is the SEC and not him continuing to act like this.
I get where the SEC is coming from, but as far as market integrity goes, anyone who makes a move based on a tweet is as crazy as Musk is being made out to be. Musk may be nuts, incorrigible, tone-deaf, irresponsible, or perhaps just playing a well-thought-out publicity game using the SEC as a foil. I don't consider myself a "follower", but I do admire what he's accomplished.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

sparky
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:55 am
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Location: SoCal

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:02 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Musk's tweets have nothing to do with Trump. Musk has been lying for years about his company. It's just that the SEC finally has gotten tired of watching it.
I'm talking about the regulatory response to the tweets, not the motivation for them - although one could argue that with Trump getting away with horrible Twitter behavior, others now think that it's low-risk.
Trump is a sideshow barker. That is all.
From what I saw on Twitter, Musk posted nothing material in nature. He later posted a correction to something that wasn't material in nature. All after hours and the stock price barely twitched. The SEC on the other hand has irresponsibly hurt investors with overreach IMO.
I don't think the SEC even read the transcript from the Q4 ER. The 500k number is already there. As in "Yes, Maybe in the order of 350,000 to 500,000 Model 3s this year".
If it's public knowledge, how is it material to repeat it?
There is 1st Amendment and whether the SEC is violating it by forcing "prior restraint" on Musk's tweets.
Honestly, the SEC case here, as before is a nothingburger. I just hope he doesn't take TSLA private. They look like they're heading towards $2B free cash flow per quarter quickly. This kind of growth is Silicon Valley Software startup dream numbers. Certainly beyond Nissan's feeble imagination.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”