lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:52 am

webb14leafs wrote:
lorenfb wrote:Another perspective of Tesla's "profitability":

https://davidstockmanscontracorner.com/ ... s-solvent/
What's your point? Again, this is all about perspective. You can read this as 1 - "The only reason Tesla has avoided bankruptcy is by selling tax credits," or 2 - "Wow, Tesla makes a lot of money selling tax credits! This should be a significant and growing revenue source for decades."
As some wish, a future Amazon/Apple/Google/Microsoft/Facebook growth company, right? Laughable!
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F, (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 4.5K miles, 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 20%, temp < 105F

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:00 am

webb14leafs wrote:Last I read was that Tesla had 10 months of cash left at their Q1 burn rate.
Noone has a crystal ball, and pretending one does just makes one sound like an idiot.
Here's a fun party game.

Google "Tesla run out of cash". On the results page click "Tools" and then select "Any date range". Now plug in any year for the start and the next year for the end (e.g., start 2014 and end 2015). You fine lots of articles written over the last decade that will talk about "Tesla has N months of cash left at their blah burn rate".

Will they go bankrupt? I don't know. As if oft pointed out, automotive manufacturing is a capital intensive business. Will its survive long term? I don't know.

Interesting fact of the day: GM went bankrupt exactly 10 years ago this week.
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
82K 100% BEV miles since '14
ICE free since '18

webb14leafs
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2017

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:59 am

lorenfb wrote:
webb14leafs wrote:
lorenfb wrote:Another perspective of Tesla's "profitability":

https://davidstockmanscontracorner.com/ ... s-solvent/
What's your point? Again, this is all about perspective. You can read this as 1 - "The only reason Tesla has avoided bankruptcy is by selling tax credits," or 2 - "Wow, Tesla makes a lot of money selling tax credits! This should be a significant and growing revenue source for decades."
As some wish, a future Amazon/Apple/Google/Microsoft/Facebook growth company, right? Laughable!
What are you talking about??????????

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:36 am

Fiat is paying a heavy price for not having any EVs. At some point they may finally figure it out and start to make a desirable EV. That's the whole goal of ZEV credits. The fact that Tesla benefits from Fiat's errors further's Tesla's ability to offer affordable cars. Without ZEV income, they would have to raise the price of the cars, which would reduce the number of owners that can afford it. Seems like a no brainer to me. How someone can twist this into some kind of negative is even stranger.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

lorenfb

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:09 pm

webb14leafs wrote:
lorenfb wrote:
webb14leafs wrote:
To help you understand:

Many consider Tesla a growth startup company as were the above five, and can be assumed to have the same significant growth future.
Doesn't appear to be the case as time progresses, does it?
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F, (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 4.5K miles, 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 20%, temp < 105F

webb14leafs

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:23 am

lorenfb wrote:
webb14leafs wrote:
lorenfb wrote:
To help you understand:

Many consider Tesla a growth startup company as were the above five, and can be assumed to have the same significant growth future.
Doesn't appear to be the case as time progresses, does it?
I think the question is whether Tesla will be a successful/viable car company, not if they will have a trillion dollar valuation.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:49 pm

Looks like the negativity got a little ahead of itself.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/05/tesla-o ... lysts.html
Tesla increased total U.S. sales in the month of May by 73% compared to last year, according to data from Motor Intelligence. Meanwhile, sales climbed 39% for competing electric vehicles from Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Chevrolet and Nissan. Morgan Stanley also noted that Tesla’s estimated total U.S. sales of 11,300 vehicles in May was 2.6 times the combined total of its competitors’ EV offerings -- up from 2.1 times last year.
So much for the competition, they suck, and everyone with any knowledge of EVs knows it. That's why Tesla has 3/4 of the market share and their share is growing not shrinking.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

lorenfb

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:05 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:Looks like the negativity got a little ahead of itself.

Tesla increased total U.S. sales in the month of May by 73% compared to last year, according to data from Motor Intelligence. Meanwhile, sales climbed 39% for competing electric vehicles from Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Chevrolet and Nissan. Morgan Stanley also noted that Tesla’s estimated total U.S. sales of 11,300 vehicles in May was 2.6 times the combined total of its competitors’ EV offerings -- up from 2.1 times last year.
So much for the competition, they suck, and everyone with any knowledge of EVs knows it. That's why Tesla has 3/4 of the market share and their share is growing not shrinking.
Consider reading the above topic on the M3 thread, i.e. a more realistic strategic marketing view.
Bottom Line: The M3 demand is down versus 2018 Q4 - the appropriate base measurement point.

webb14leafs

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:35 am

lorenfb wrote:
LTLFTcomposite wrote:Looks like the negativity got a little ahead of itself.

Consider reading the above topic on the M3 thread, i.e. a more realistic strategic marketing view.
Bottom Line: The M3 demand is down versus 2018 Q4 - the appropriate base measurement point.
Appropriate according to whom??? "Appropriate" is whatever leads to profitability. "Appropriate" is whatever pays the bills long enough for the company to launch new products that will have similar or higher demand than the current products.

Quarter over quarter growth matters, and shows that demand is not in a free fall. Also good to note that Tesla is STILL selling every expensive compact sedan they make - as fast as they can make them.

EatsShootsandLeafs
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:07 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
EatsShootsandLeafs wrote: With their cash burn rate leaving them only several months of expenditures before running out of cash, if they cannot get profitable and maintain (and they can't), they will have to raise again, causing yet more stock dilution.
Please show me where you got that info. Please quote the fact not a misquoted FUD statement. The Tesla regurgitated nonsense is laughable.
Before I answer your post can you please clarify if you're being serious or not. Also what exactly you want me to "show", whether it's their cash burn rate or what stock dilution is.

I will remind the class that back in April or so I said essentially the same thing, one guy in this thread called me a troll, TSLA just a few weeks after that had to raise $2.X B, and their stock has been flushed down the toilet since.

I'll admit I'm also triggered any time somebody in a tesla thread uses the word FUD because I've found it to be strongly correlated with a knee-jerk overly defensive reaction from a person who is probably long in the stock, has no idea why it's going down, and is angry about something they don't understand. And this leads to this kind of a statement:
EVDRIVER wrote:What you read was a quote that was altered by FUD sites that twisted his words. He never said that. Tesla's biggest issue is disinformation and short sellers, the vast majority of what you read is twisted to fit a narrative and not fact. People here still insist on spreading lies about the technical features of the cars and people take it as fact. Reminds me of some "news" organizations.
It's actually sad reading comments like this with TSLA currently almost 50% off its highs. Short sellers and FUDsters are not destroying this company. Market reality and increasingly poor leadership from its CEO is.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”