GRA
Posts: 11204
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:13 pm

EVDRIVER wrote: CNBC is anti Tesla and has a solid reputation for misleading information and fabricated stories, they have zero credibility and every "story" like this happens just when the stock is rising or there is fear of good news. They are a joke organization and an agenda-based FUD factory, Those pictures are laughable as well.
For the sake of argument assuming your claim is accurate, I'm curious as to what you think CNBC's motivation for being "anti-Tesla" would be, as they are a business news channel. Presumably, the people who watch it (not me) want unbiased info on stock prices, factors likely to affect companies, etc., rather than one-sided investment opinions. It's not as if there aren't plenty of other sites to provide the latter, so what's CNBC's interest in being pro or anti- any company (other than NBCUniversal)?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA
Posts: 11204
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:38 pm

IEVS:
Tesla Model S/X/3 Comparison (Range, Price, Acceleration) July 2019
https://insideevs.com/news/361352/tesla ... july-2019/
. . . This quarter Tesla limited its offer of the Model S, Model X and Model 3 to a total of eight versions and noticeably/significantly decreased prices, depending on the model.

As Tesla represents the majority of U.S. plug-in car sales, let's compare the models' range, acceleration and prices.

First of all, we need to note that from July (through the end of December 2019) Tesla cars are eligible to get just $1,875 in federal tax credit (instead of $3,750 in Q1-Q2, and $7,500 in the end of 2018). Since the company lowered its prices, sales should not be negatively affected.

Prices before $1,200 DST and before the $1,875 federal tax credit deduction:
  • Model 3 Standard Range - $35,400 (no change)
    Model 3 Standard Range Plus - $38,990 ($910 cheaper)
    Model 3 Long Range AWD - $47,990 ($1,910 cheaper)
    Model 3 Long Range AWD Performance - $54,900 ($4,910 cheaper)
    Model S Long Range AWD - $79,990 ($5,010 cheaper)
    Model S Long Range AWD Performance LM - $99,990 ($16,010 cheaper)
    Model X Long Range AWD - $84,990 ($6,010 cheaper)
    Model X Long Range AWD Performance LM - $104,990 ($17,010 cheaper). . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

User avatar
dgpcolorado
Posts: 3115
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Location: The Western Slope, Colorado

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:43 pm

GRA wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:13 pm
EVDRIVER wrote: CNBC is anti Tesla and has a solid reputation for misleading information and fabricated stories, they have zero credibility and every "story" like this happens just when the stock is rising or there is fear of good news. They are a joke organization and an agenda-based FUD factory, Those pictures are laughable as well.
For the sake of argument assuming your claim is accurate, I'm curious as to what you think CNBC's motivation for being "anti-Tesla" would be, as they are a business news channel. Presumably, the people who watch it (not me) want unbiased info on stock prices, factors likely to affect companies, etc., rather than one-sided investment opinions. It's not as if there aren't plenty of other sites to provide the latter, so what's CNBC's interest in being pro or anti- any company (other than NBCUniversal)?
A good question. Here's another take on it:

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/21/we ... -by-tslaq/
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

WetEV
Posts: 3216
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:10 pm

No comment on Telsa's higher than expected loss?

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/24/tesla ... d-quarter/


239.36 -25.52 (-9.63%) After hours: 6:06PM EDT
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

GRA
Posts: 11204
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:23 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:43 pm
GRA wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:13 pm
EVDRIVER wrote: CNBC is anti Tesla and has a solid reputation for misleading information and fabricated stories, they have zero credibility and every "story" like this happens just when the stock is rising or there is fear of good news. They are a joke organization and an agenda-based FUD factory, Those pictures are laughable as well.
For the sake of argument assuming your claim is accurate, I'm curious as to what you think CNBC's motivation for being "anti-Tesla" would be, as they are a business news channel. Presumably, the people who watch it (not me) want unbiased info on stock prices, factors likely to affect companies, etc., rather than one-sided investment opinions. It's not as if there aren't plenty of other sites to provide the latter, so what's CNBC's interest in being pro or anti- any company (other than NBCUniversal)?
A good question. Here's another take on it:

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/21/we ... -by-tslaq/
Thanks. So the question is was the CNBC reporter aware of this or not (which seems to be in dispute in the link you provided), and is it significant, i.e. was the donation arranged beforehand? $TSLAQ obviously has a bias, but the payment, quite small, seems to me more likely a case of "pour encourageur les autres". , Even if the reporter could be biased or just sloppy/lazy, nowhere is any evidence cited that CNBC itself is biased against Tesla, nor is there any reason given for motivation for such bias if it did exist.
Last edited by GRA on Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Leaf15
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:51 am
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:28 pm

Just another huge loss quarter is behind, more to come, unfortunately ... I just do not understand idiots who kept buying it prior to earnings, could have waited and in a few days you could scoop it up at huge discount.
Leaf 2015 SV CPO traded for 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV Limited

GRA
Posts: 11204
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:36 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this - GCR:
Tesla CTO and battery mastermind J.B. Straubel exits
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... ubel-exits
At the start of a call Wednesday to provide guidance on Tesla’s record sales but $408 million loss in the second quarter, Tesla CEO Elon Musk dropped a bombshell: that its chief technical officer, JB Straubel, will be stepping down from his executive post.

Drew Baglino will take over most of the responsibilities held by Straubel, who will be transitioning to the role of senior advisor.

The departure of Straubel is a huge loss for the company. He’s considered a co-founder of Tesla, as well as an expert on energy storage and propulsion—and in many intents and purposes was Musk’s partner in Tesla’s rise.

The Stanford grad has been the mastermind behind key decisions made on Tesla’s power systems and battery technology—decisions that have given the company a continued advantage in efficiency and driving range after other companies have created rival electric models. To this day he's considered one of the world's top experts in vehicle battery tech. . . .
I'm not surprised the man wants to take a step back, and it's not as if he needs more money, but this does add a considerable extra layer of uncertainty to Tesla's future developments.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

lorenfb
Posts: 2290
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:25 pm

GRA wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:36 pm
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this - GCR:
Why, you should know the answer.
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F, (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 4.5K miles, 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 20%, temp < 105F

goldbrick
Posts: 636
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:33 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:56 am

GRA wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:36 pm
I'm not surprised the man wants to take a step back, and it's not as if he needs more money, but this does add a considerable extra layer of uncertainty to Tesla's future developments.
If Tesla is going to make it long term they need to develop the expertise in-house for succession to occur since it will happen. Maybe even Mr Musk will someday move on to greener pastures.

I'm sure there are plenty of engineers at Tesla who understand physics well enough to design batteries and cars. The harder part, IMHO, is to do so profitably. Which requires a broader understanding of supply chain management, warranty costs, manufacturing capabilities, consumer and regulatory whims, etc, etc.

User avatar
LTLFTcomposite
Posts: 4720
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:06 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Central FL

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:49 pm

Recovered nearly half what it gave back after the earnings. Somebody thinks there is still a lot more to be written in this story.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”