Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:59 am
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2016

Re: Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:50 am

The prices and trim levels of the Hyundai Ioniq BEV for the UK market were published:

https://www.hyundaipressoffice.co.uk/release/783/

There are only two trim levels for the BEV, which is called Electric, and no extra options or packages except for metallic paint.

The IONIQ Electric Premium has a recommended road price of £28,995.00.
The IONIQ Electric Premium SE has a recommended road price of £30,795.00.

Even the lower trim level, Premium, has so much more equipment, in comparison to the Nissan Leaf.

It has, among other things:
- Driver’s Seat Lumbar Support (Electric)
- Smart Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go function
- Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS)
- Rear Parking Sensors with Camera and Guidance System
- Automatic Headlights with Dusk Sensor
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with Individual Tyre Pressure Display
- 2 USB ports: Front Row USB Port, and Drivers Armrest USB Port –Charge Only
- Passenger Seat Height Adjustment
- Regenerative Brake Shift Paddles
- Wireless Phone Charging

Then the top trim level, Premium SE, adds, among other things:
- Heated and Ventilated Front Seats
- Driver Power Seat with Integrated Memory System
- Blind Spot Detection (BSD)
- Front Park Sensors
- Window Defogger

Even in it's highest trim, SL, all of these seem to be things the 2016 Nissan Leaf does not have.

So the Ioniq Electric will bring some strong competition to the EV field... :-)

User avatar
redLEAF
Posts: 1709
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:53 am

Newbie wrote:The prices and trim levels of the Hyundai Ioniq BEV for the UK market were published:

https://www.hyundaipressoffice.co.uk/release/783/

There are only two trim levels for the BEV, which is called Electric, and no extra options or packages except for metallic paint.

The IONIQ Electric Premium has a recommended road price of £28,995.00.
The IONIQ Electric Premium SE has a recommended road price of £30,795.00.


Even in it's highest trim, SL, all of these seem to be things the 2016 Nissan Leaf does not have.

So the Ioniq Electric will bring some strong competition to the EV field... :-)
Appears to have a lot of bells & whistles but will be curious on fit & finish as well as what the quality level of the materials they use -- of course it was an economy line but having rented other Hyundai's (and Kia's) in the past, lots of hard plastic in use will detract from its appeal (of course this is no Equus 'luxury' sedan but still ...) -- not a real distinctive looking car but appears they are getting more serious on EV's
2018 smart ED Brabus (leased)
Sapphire Blue Metallic
2017 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD; EAP; 19" sport wheels
Red Multi-coat
2015 VW e-Golf LE (traded-in for Model 3)
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

Valdemar
Posts: 2644
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:36 am

CCS Combo, sigh.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:59 am
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2016

Re: Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:42 pm

redLEAF wrote:Appears to have a lot of bells & whistles but will be curious on fit & finish as well as what the quality level of the materials they use -- of course it was an economy line but having rented other Hyundai's (and Kia's) in the past, lots of hard plastic in use will detract from its appeal (of course this is no Equus 'luxury' sedan but still ...) -- not a real distinctive looking car but appears they are getting more serious on EV's
Me personally, just have to say, I love some of those bells and whistles. I am in a situation that I need a car now, so I am just about to lease a 2016 Leaf SV. And I would not mind if the Leaf had those features.

If I look through that list:

- Driver’s Seat Lumbar Support (Electric)
That's really good for your back, if you spend a lot of time in the car.

- Smart Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go function
That is very practical, f.e. when having to deal with lots of stop and go traffic.
Even the so eagerly awaited Chevy Bolt is not going to have Adaptive Cruise Control...

- Passenger Seat Height Adjustment
Me personally, I think it would be great if passangers also could sit comfortably, by being able to adjust the seat in more ways.

- Regenerative Brake Shift Paddles
That looks like something the Leaf also does not have now, it's just B mode or no B mode. Stronger regen is not possible.

- Wireless Phone Charging
I wish the Leaf had that now. My phone has wireless charging, and it would be great to do away with the cable clutter.

- Heated and Ventilated Front Seats
Me personally, I think that ventilated seats are absolutely a premium feature. I doubt the Chevy Bolt or next-gen Leaf will have that.

- Window Defogger
If that is the windshield heat wires that the VW e-Golf has, I think that is so practical. No need to have the AC on full blast on rainy days, just to keep the windshield clear.

If the Ioniq was available now, and had a CHAdeMO plug and a No Charge To Charge EZ charge card, I would so much prefer that over a Leaf.

But there is no other 107 mile EV at affordable prices right now, so the Leaf it is. Hopefully the next-gen Leaf with 200mile range offers all these things, and then I can trade out of the 2016 Leaf, and into that new one... ;)

Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:59 am
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2016

Re: Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:54 pm

redLEAF wrote:Appears to have a lot of bells & whistles but will be curious on fit & finish as well as what the quality level of the materials they use -- of course it was an economy line but having rented other Hyundai's (and Kia's) in the past, lots of hard plastic in use will detract from its appeal (of course this is no Equus 'luxury' sedan but still ...) -- not a real distinctive looking car but appears they are getting more serious on EV's
About the "fit & finish": I don't think it will be like the cheapest materials, or the look and feel of an econobox. It will not be a 2004 Elantra.

There was a review of the Ioniq recently, and while not praising the interior, they even compared it directly to the Leaf:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/hyundai ... iq-review/
The interior is trimmed with the latest environmental plastics and materials (the dash panels, for example are made of wood and rock powder), but they feel horrible, like fingernails down a blackboard, and there's an insubstantial translucency about them, a bit like Nissan's Leaf. The seats are reasonably comfy though and there's lots of storage space. In the hybrid, there's 443 litres under the hatchback, but the larger battery in the pure electric version means it has only 350 litres.
Even when reviewers say, it feels horrible, I like the environmental materials. Who dares to think about something else but oneself, f.e. actually about the environment? I liked the recycled material seats in the SV (which is why I am not getting an SL), and I also think they feel good. The Leaf interior is not a Mercedes, but it certainly doesn't look like a 2004 Elantra. I guess everyone can try the Ioniq when it comes out, still I have the impression it seems like a well-refined car and will offer good value for money.

Also in the picture of the article linked above, it looks like the interior looks fine.

Image

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 14046
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:37 pm

I just hope that the interior doesn't smell as bad as the Leaf's. Mine made me nauseous for the whole first year I had it, and it still bothers my housemate. (Her Prius, OTOH, makes me nauseous even after 3 years.)
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:59 am
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2016

Re: Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:54 am

LeftieBiker wrote:I just hope that the interior doesn't smell as bad as the Leaf's. Mine made me nauseous for the whole first year I had it, and it still bothers my housemate. (Her Prius, OTOH, makes me nauseous even after 3 years.)
That is interesting to hear. I am also very sensitive to some chemical smells, lots of new car smells really bothered me. Still maybe because our Leaf was a 2012, it was not so bad? It was only a light new car smell, now very strong and plasticy. I hope the 2016 Leaf SV that I am about to get will not bother me scent-wise. It seemed ok on the test drive... :)

edatoakrun
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:45 am

This review of the GB BEV model compares it favorably overall with gen 1 LEAF:
Hyundai Ioniq EV electric car review

...So, on the numbers front the Ioniq beats its only current competitor in virtually every area. It will cover an additional 20 miles per charge, it’s marginally cheaper to buy, comes better kitted out, and is even slightly quicker...

One area where you definitely don’t get sold short is when it comes to kit. All Ioniq Electrics come as standard with auto lights and wipers, 16-inch alloy wheels, Apple CarPlay, a reversing camera, LED headlamps, adaptive cruise control and a seven-inch display with sat-nav.

In terms of practicality, the 350-litre boot is a similar size to what you get in a Leaf, but rear passenger space isn’t as generous...

the Ioniq could qualify as a perfectly rational choice for a lot of people.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/io ... car-review
no condition is permanent

GRA
Posts: 11544
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:15 pm

edatoakrun wrote:This review of the GB BEV model compares it favorably overall with gen 1 LEAF:
Hyundai Ioniq EV electric car review

...So, on the numbers front the Ioniq beats its only current competitor in virtually every area. It will cover an additional 20 miles per charge, it’s marginally cheaper to buy, comes better kitted out, and is even slightly quicker...

One area where you definitely don’t get sold short is when it comes to kit. All Ioniq Electrics come as standard with auto lights and wipers, 16-inch alloy wheels, Apple CarPlay, a reversing camera, LED headlamps, adaptive cruise control and a seven-inch display with sat-nav.

In terms of practicality, the 350-litre boot is a similar size to what you get in a Leaf, but rear passenger space isn’t as generous...

the Ioniq could qualify as a perfectly rational choice for a lot of people.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/io ... car-review
In addition, it just stomps the new Prius in the looks department.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11480
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:28 pm

edatoakrun wrote:This review of the GB BEV model compares it favorably overall with gen 1 LEAF:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/io ... car-review
Would creating a brand new product that beats your competitor's 5 year old model a good strategy exp. with the next gen coming out in a year or so ?

We'll find out - but won't be surprised if this is just a compliance car (just sold a little more widely like FFE than Fit EV).
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”