Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Re: Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:17 am

I think it is shaping up nicely against the competition. I respect Hyundai but not a fan, but would definitely consider it over the current Leaf. I like the more or less conventional looks. Hopefully deep discounts are just around the corner...
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:15 pm

Not-very-enthusiastic review of the ioniq hybrid, especially as compared to the BEV:

Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid review - big on economy, short on fun
What’s it like to drive?

We drove the Ioniq Hybrid after the electric model, and the comparison wasn’t flattering for the hybrid. Sporty dual-clutch transmission or not, the hybrid is neither as quick, nor as responsive, and certainly not as seamless as the full electric model. It all feels a bit noisy, vibratory and unsophisticated in fact. In isolation, or after driving most conventional petrol or diesel cars, the Ioniq Hybrid would feel perfectly civilised, but electric cars do have a habit of making combustion equivalents feel a bit prehistoric...

...for us, the Ioniq Electric is more of a driver’s car than the Ioniq Hybrid...
http://www.evo.co.uk/hyundai/18365/hyun ... ort-on-fun
no condition is permanent

rmay635703

Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:46 pm

I've found most reviews to be pretty meaningless, using metrics I don't really care about

Marktm
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:16 pm

Having driven the Leaf for almost a year, I think it will be revealing to test drive the Ioniq EV and compare the "fun factor".
2012 Leaf SL; 46,000 miles. Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.

edatoakrun

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:44 am

For those of you suffering from battery capacity loss anxiety...

From a promotional email:
...Imagine yourself with no worries and miles of peace of mind. Hyundai is the only manufacturer offering a Lifetime Battery Warranty on its hybrid vehicles, including the new IONIQ...
The fine print:
¹The Lifetime Battery Warranty applies to all U.S. 2017 model-year IONIQ vehicles. The Lifetime Battery Warranty ensures that if the lithium-ion polymer battery fails, Hyundai will replace the battery and cover recycling costs for the old battery free of charge to the original owner. The Lifetime Battery Warranty excludes coverage for vehicles placed in commercial use (e.g., taxi, route delivery, rental, etc.).
I wonder what Hyundai means by "fails"...

GRA

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:07 pm

edatoakrun wrote:For those of you suffering from battery capacity loss anxiety...

From a promotional email:
...Imagine yourself with no worries and miles of peace of mind. Hyundai is the only manufacturer offering a Lifetime Battery Warranty on its hybrid vehicles, including the new IONIQ...
The fine print:
¹The Lifetime Battery Warranty applies to all U.S. 2017 model-year IONIQ vehicles. The Lifetime Battery Warranty ensures that if the lithium-ion polymer battery fails, Hyundai will replace the battery and cover recycling costs for the old battery free of charge to the original owner. The Lifetime Battery Warranty excludes coverage for vehicles placed in commercial use (e.g., taxi, route delivery, rental, etc.).
I wonder what Hyundai means by "fails"...
It seems pretty clear this is a 'parts and materials' warranty, not a capacity warranty, as degradation (unlike a bad cell) isn't 'failure'.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

edatoakrun

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:15 pm

Still no news on when the USA deliveries will begin.

Norwegian review below seems quite positive, at least as translated by google...
Test of Hyundai IONIQ Electric: Highly efficient newcomer

Hyundai IONIQ has been criticized for having too small battery pack, but catch up with almost startling efficiency. In summer there is no great challenge to spend around one kilowatt at mila.

I'm usually always excited before a test, but it is something special when it comes a brand new model on the market. This time too because it's been a while since there was a new electric car on the market - and because of discussions about the size of the battery.

Could advance the hypothesis of efficient propulsion, partly as a result of good aerodynamics (Cd: 0.24) voice - and that it therefore would Duge good for longer trips? The short answer is yes.

It was almost as I did not believe in consumption figure even after having traversed the stretch Drammen Sigdal-Krødsherad Drammen, a distance of 152 km with varying topography. The number did in fact that the car was not too far away to live up to the rather fanciful NEDC test cycle.

The same test route was run the other Sunday with upgraded BMW i3. Also it was very effective , but IONIQ showed even better rates...

Here are also some of the essence of IONIQ: Top car at a reasonable price. The price tag challenge all the established leash and equipment list is the premium level. Here both filskifte- and blind spot warning, adaptive cruise control, DAB and more. On optional list stands EV relevant equipment as heat pump and battery heats...

a fine-tuned chassis and suspension setup, which offers much driving pleasure. Steering feel is fairly direct, and is well linked with the rest of the experience...

The skepticism of the battery pack size is, for the most part, unfounded. The reasons are obviously finding that IONIQ is as effective as it is, thereby coping well with the amount of energy available to it...
http://elbil.no/test-av-hyundai-ioniq-e ... -nykommer/

kaiat

Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:19 am

Yeah, people who have tested the car here in Norway, have generally been positive about it. Very energy-efficient as I understand it, and well-equipped. The Norwegian Hyundai-importer got hold of four BEV-cars which have toured the country between the dealers. The first deliveries to customers is expected to take place in November I believe.

edatoakrun

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:51 am

kaiat wrote:Yeah, people who have tested the car here in Norway, have generally been positive about it... The first deliveries to customers is expected to take place in November I believe.
The USA BEV delivery date was recently pushed back from fall to Winter:
Ioniq Electric
Charge from home or work. Never stop for gas.
Coming this winter.

Ioniq Hybrid
Electric power helps you go farther on a gallon.
Coming this winter.

Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid
Electric when you want it. Gas when you need it.
Coming next summer
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/ioniq/index.aspx

IIRC, that might be a delay for the PHEV as well?

kaiat

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:27 am

kaiat wrote:The first deliveries to customers is expected to take place in November I believe.
I have to correct myself on this one. The first cars have already been delivered to customers.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”