asimba2
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2014

Re: Official Toyota Prius PHEV thread

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:21 am

TomT wrote:Probably also a record for the slowest lap ever! It's amazing what stupid ideas marketing can come up with... :lol:
l
I bet the crowd was going wild.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri May 01, 2015 12:03 am

Straight from the horse's mouth (yes, Prius Team members do work for Toyota corporate), http://priuschat.com/threads/prius-plug ... te.152649/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, posted on Tuesday, 4/28/15:
Hello All,

Wanted to give all of you a quick update that the current generation of Prius Plug-in Hybrid will cease production in June. We are hard at work developing the next generation Prius Plug-in Hybrid and we are looking forward to sharing more details with you as we approach our launch date.

You, and our dealers, are the first to know today.

Thanks for all of your continued support.

Nathan Kokes
Advanced Technology Vehicle Marketing
Toyota Motor Sales, USA

Prius Team, Tuesday at 9:02 PM
(I've personally met two people who post as Prius Team and it was via that user that I was invited to the Gen 3 (2010) Prius unveiling.)

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Fri May 01, 2015 12:21 am

If they were still awake...
asimba2 wrote:
TomT wrote:Probably also a record for the slowest lap ever! It's amazing what stupid ideas marketing can come up with... :lol:
I bet the crowd was going wild.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

GRA

Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:20 pm

Obviously not a PiP, but I saw my first Gen 4 Prius last night, and the rear end's just as hideous in person as it is in pictures.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:01 pm

Yep, it is amazing how Toyota can take a car that was never attractive and make it even more ugly! And I still hate that stupid center dashboard idea...
GRA wrote:Obviously not a PiP, but I saw my first Gen 4 Prius last night, and the rear end's just as hideous in person as it is in pictures.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:13 am

TomT wrote:Yep, it is amazing how Toyota can take a car that was never attractive and make it even more ugly! And I still hate that stupid center dashboard idea...
GRA wrote:Obviously not a PiP, but I saw my first Gen 4 Prius last night, and the rear end's just as hideous in person as it is in pictures.
FWIW, I found that the Gen 3 Prius (2010-2015 model years) was the pinnacle of Prius styling and not particularly ugly. But yeah, I've seen Gen 4 in person and unfortunately, finds its styling to be ummm... weird, at best. And yeah, the tail is not good. :(

Per http://www.autonews.com/article/2015112 ... -the-prius, they were channeling Lady Gaga. I don't think Toyota can be accused of being too conservative w/Gen 4 Prius styling.

(FWIW, I've had my Gen 2 Prius since I bought it new in Jan 2006. Even I admit it's a bit funny looking.)

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:52 am

FWIW, I found that the Gen 3 Prius (2010-2015 model years) was the pinnacle of Prius styling and not particularly ugly.

I agree. Those who think it is Fugly and boxy are reacting more to the idea of it not being Sporty to drive than to the reality of its appearance. The interiors, though - they do tend to be just short of Fugly. Since the PIP will apparently cease to be affordable with the next generation, my housemate will either buy a used gen 3 Prius II or - just maybe, if leases are cheap - lease a Gen 2 Volt, but she will miss the Prius if she does, and I'll at least miss its ability to haul cargo.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:06 pm

cwerdna wrote:
TomT wrote:
Yep, it is amazing how Toyota can take a car that was never attractive and make it even more ugly! And I still hate that stupid center dashboard idea...
FWIW, I found that the Gen 3 Prius (2010-2015 model years) was the pinnacle of Prius styling and not particularly ugly. But yeah, I've seen Gen 4 in person and unfortunately, finds its styling to be ummm... weird, at best. And yeah, the tail is not good. :(

Per http://www.autonews.com/article/2015112 ... -the-prius, they were channeling Lady Gaga. I don't think Toyota can be accused of being too conservative w/Gen 4 Prius styling.

(FWIW, I've had my Gen 2 Prius since I bought it new in Jan 2006. Even I admit it's a bit funny looking.)
Personally, I've never found the looks of the Gen 2 and Gen 3 objectionable (I like the latter), and have always felt that much of the scorn directed at its looks was based more on ideology (not in Tom's case), i.e. what the car is and isn't. My main objection to the car was that it sacrificed every other driving quality in the pursuit of maximum efficiency, and finally they've realized that paying at least some attention to NVH, ride, handling, acceleration, braking, and steering feel is necessary to expand the Prius' market beyond the penny-pinching/green crowd. Unfortunately, they've chosen to wrap those improvements in a body that causes many people to run screaming from it in horror, so they'll never get to experience them!
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:53 pm

Now that Toyota is releasing a lot more info on the 2nd Gen Prius PHEV aka Prius Prime (in the U.S.), should we have a separate thread for it ala the Volt 2, or just keep all discussion here? BTW, judging only from the few pictures I've seen, owing to the different front/rear ends the Prime is somewhat less fugly than the regular 2016 Prius. I'll have to wait until I see one for real to know for sure - I've seen enough of the 2016 HEVs to be sure of them :P .

sparky
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:41 pm

Based on the pictures and specs, I'd say Toyota has a MIrai killer on their hands...

...seriously.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”