jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Re: Official Toyota Prius PHEV thread

Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:15 am

SageBrush wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:54 am
^^ manufacturer recommends against use while driving. You can view that as lawyer CYA but it does reflect a real problem with the cord wrapping around the steering wheel column. Owner reviews say the same.
Your probably right on the CYA factor but personally if I couldn't use it while driving I'd really not be interested. Think of how many people(including me) with the Leaf complain how quickly the steering wheel gets cold when the thermostat cuts power while driving. It's not like the steering wheel can really get warm and store the heat, I'd guess within a minute or two after cutting power the steering wheel is noticeably cool, which again would be a deal-breaker for me. All the more reason to wait for Leftie's assessment and yes I did read quite a few of the reviews, some were good but a lot mentioned the cord thing, which was my biggest concern....
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:13 am

jjeff wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:15 am
SageBrush wrote:
^^ manufacturer recommends against use while driving. You can view that as lawyer CYA but it does reflect a real problem with the cord wrapping around the steering wheel column. Owner reviews say the same.
Your probably right on the CYA factor but personally if I couldn't use it while driving I'd really not be interested. Think of how many people(including me) with the Leaf complain how quickly the steering wheel gets cold when the thermostat cuts power while driving. It's not like the steering wheel can really get warm and store the heat, I'd guess within a minute or two after cutting power the steering wheel is noticeably cool, which again would be a deal-breaker for me. All the more reason to wait for Leftie's assessment and yes I did read quite a few of the reviews, some were good but a lot mentioned the cord thing, which was my biggest concern....
I like cool steering wheels but do not like them freezing. So a pre-heat sounds pretty good to me. An EV that can be started remotely could work out quite well, except that the manufacturer says that the heater should be disconnected when not in use -- presumably to avoid draining the 12v battery.

I thought about this in regards to my Tesla and decided to simply pre-heat the cabin to 65F or so with shore electricity on truly cold days since I want to warm up the battery a little anyways. End of drama.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:00 pm

SageBrush wrote:
I also read the reviews before buying. If you install it as suggested by one reviewer, with the socket pigtail in the 5 O'clock/front position, the cord doesn't try to wrap around the wheel - it flaps around in front of it. I straightened the cord before using it, and I mentally kept my eye on it while driving. I can see it wrapping around the wheel if installed with the pigtail on the back of the cover, and/or with it on the side of the wheel opposite the power port (lighter socket). I agree that this is NOT an accessory for poor or inattentive drivers. And yes, the warning is legal CYA - valid legal CYA.

I'll keep you updated, jjeff. I drive that car about once every two to three weeks on average in Winter. Maybe once a week, now. Maybe I'll ask my HM about installing the simple electric heat system I developed a few years ago...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker

Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:52 pm

I'm going to cross-post this here from the Priuschat site. I'm looking for help.
2013 PIP Base. This is my housemate's car. She drives it gently, and I drive it when needed - also gently. It first seemed a bit rough in the 42-47MPH range earlier this year. We assumed that it was old gas, ran it down to one fuel bar, and refilled it with fresh mid-grade or premium - I forget which. It made no difference. She just had the car in for the 30K service last month, and had them clean the fuel injectors as well, at my suggestion. Again, no difference. With the arrival of the current frigid weather, it also began, according to her, to "Ice Lock" - that banging sound on cold startup as ice chunks in the motor break apart. I advised her to always let the engine warm up fully on a trip before shutting it off. She uses EV mode only for local errands, but also uses Hybrid mode once or twice a week for longer trips. Today she started it to run an important errand, and got a rough, noisy startup (I don't know if it was ice lock or just ran roughly) AND the check engine light came on and stayed on. It remains on, and the car is definitely running rough for about 20 seconds on ICE startup. She says that last week she may or may not have found some non-viscous liquid with an oily sheen, under it. (She had to move the car for snow plowing and doesn't know if the liquid came from this car or from somewhere else.) This car has never run at all rough before this year, and had only ice locked a couple of times since new. It gets serviced one a year (we don't drive a lot of miles since retiring) and is always parked outdoors. Ideas? It got new Toyo Celsius tires last year.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker

Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:54 pm

Other question: how do I go about using my OBDII reader with the PIP? Which compatible app is best, and where is that port on the 2013 PIP? (Brand of dongle in Signature.)

EDIT: Ok, I installed Torque Pro. Hopefully it will play nice with my dongle later today. I now also know how to remove the mass airflow sensor, although I have no intention of doing it. (I may, possibly, take enough off to look into it for the famous oil Swamp.) That leaves the location of the ODBII port...
BAFX OBDII Dongle

LeftieBiker

Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:33 am

Here is the update I just posted at PriusChat:

We just had a "friendly" (not really) chat with the dealership's tech - one of them, anyway. According to her, they have consulted with Toyota, and have been instructed to essentially do a compression test and inspect the valve springs - for $480. She claims that either a valve spring or two is bad (???) or "the whole engine needs to be replaced." I cannot, for the life of me, envision a scenario in which broken valve springs cause a problem only with cold starts and idling, or a scenario in which this behavior necessitates that the whole engine be replaced. There was no more mention of the ECU, despite the fact that an ECU reset eliminated the symptoms for a while. I know how ICEs work. Is the Prius 's simulated Atkinson cycle engine so different that what this tech is saying can be true? Does anyone here know of an existing issue like this? Does anyone know of a good shop in the Albany NY area that specializes in Priuses? I have no confidence in this dealership...

Can anyone here envision a way in which these techs (and Toyota) know what they are talking about?
BAFX OBDII Dongle

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”