GRA

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Hyundai Kona Electric Vs Kia Niro EV, The Autobahn Efficiency Edition
https://insideevs.com/hyundai-kona-elec ... ncy-video/
Korean cousins face off in Germany (with subtitles). . . .
More details in the Niro topic, but the Niro comes out 4% ahead.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:19 pm

IEVS:
2019 Hyundai Kona Electric, Edmunds Editors’ Choice Best EV: Video
https://insideevs.com/video-hyundai-kon ... s-best-ev/
. . . It comes as no surprise that the 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric is deemed the “Best EV” for 2019 according to the editors at Edmunds. It’s the only electric vehicle to earn an editors award this year. The rub here is, however, that an electric car must win in the category of “Best EV.” We’re looking forward to a time in the near future when electric vehicles don’t have their own separate category for these awards, and more EVs can begin to rob gas-powered cars of their rein. It surely has happened before, but it needs to become the norm. . . .
I'm not sure if the Niro was available in time for their cut-off, but it isn't listed on their site.

Also IEVS:
Hyundai Kona Electric Road Trip From Los Angeles To Las Vegas: Video
https://insideevs.com/hyundai-kona-elec ... -la-vegas/
Can the Hyundai Kona Electric make the journey on a single charge?
Michael Fisher (AKA Mr. Mobile) says the Kona Electric could make it, if there weren’t so many mountains. The trip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas is a popular one and especially useful for EV range tests.

If you take the longer route past Joshua Tree National Park and through the middle of the Mojave National Preserve, you’re looking at some 326 miles and well over five hours. Fisher chose the more common, shorter route, which takes you 270 miles in about four hours. . . .
There's a video.
Last edited by GRA on Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:24 pm

Spellcheckers really have killed proofreading, haven't they? The standard is now "As long as it's a word, it's fine." Good piece, excepting "rein."
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:39 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Spellcheckers really have killed proofreading, haven't they? The standard is now "As long as it's a word, it's fine." Good piece, excepting "rein."
That war was lost a long time ago, although I still find myself getting frustrated whenever I read a book that has supposedly been 'edited' by a real person, only to be distracted by the numerous spiel-chucker errors present. I spend enough time here going back and editing my own their/there/they're and similar mindfarts, even though my posts here are semi-ephemeral, don't need to represent me professionally, and I'm not getting paid to do so. Professionally printed works that include such errors really irritate me - online not so much, as we're trading immediacy for proofreading. However, I do wish someone at IEVS would take the time to clean up the grammar in Mark Kane's articles, as English appears to be a second language for him.

LeftieBiker

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:13 pm

He probably "writes" his pieces by talking into a phone, and then an intern who him/herself relies on spellchecking then tries to make sense of the result.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:54 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:He probably "writes" his pieces by talking into a phone, and then an intern who him/herself relies on spellchecking then tries to make sense of the result.
I wasn't being sarcastic when I said english appeared to be his second language. He reports on european EV news for them. At least, I hope that's the explanation for his sometimes fractured syntax.

LeftieBiker

Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 pm

I don't read those sites as much as you might expect so I haven't noticed. Why don't I read them? See above. Also things like referring to a bigger battery as 'providing more horsepower'...
BAFX OBDII Dongle

Kieran973
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2019

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:58 pm

The Kona Electric is finally on sale in CA and OR. Overwhelmingly, the few dealerships that have them are carrying mostly the Limited and the Ultimate - almost no SEL trims available. So this car can now be purchased for the "shockingly low" price of $42-46K.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/nl-Ne ... tric-d2699

Let the obsequious awards from the Green Press continue full speed ahead....
2019 Leaf SV (silver) with All-Weather Package

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:03 pm

On this note, it sounds like it'll be more widely available than the So Cal only near vaporware status the Ioniq EV was in for ages. A co-worker (who has a Model 3 now) looked into the Ioniq EV awhile ago and basically was told no since we're not in So Cal. He said that dealer recently reached out to him saying they have Kona EVs on the way or something like that.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:59 am

LeftieBiker wrote:I don't read those sites as much as you might expect so I haven't noticed. Why don't I read them? See above. Also things like referring to a bigger battery as 'providing more horsepower'...
A bigger battery can provide more horsepower.

There is a limit as to how much power you can take out of a given battery. It is often expressed as the "C rate", which just means the "capacity of the battery in kWh)" / "power charge or discharge".

To get to higher horsepower, you need a larger battery, or a battery that can withstand a higher C rate. Or both.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”