cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: Official Tesla Model S thread

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:03 am

lorenfb wrote:As one tire shop employee said to another mechanic; "Hey, where do I put the floor jack to lift the front of this Tesla to remove the front wheel?".
[/quote]I now carry a diagram in my I-Pace that shows the lift points for a hand jack, jack stands or a central lift.[/quote]
The quote is misattributed to me.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:31 am

The quote is misattributed to me.
Fixed.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

golfcart
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:33 am

Evoforce wrote:Wondering if they punctured the battery by running over something? Or, another battery gunshot by its owner or someone else? All just speculation at this point as to what may have happened until investigation has concluded.
Hard to say, I have even heard fanboy speculation that it could be staged by a competitor to make them look bad...

Pretty scary no matter what the cause, that was a very short period of time between a little bit of smoke and the fireball. I don't think I could have got my kid out quick enough even if I noticed the smoke right away.
2018 SV

Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:43 am

Valdemar wrote:Ok, so there is no user visible capacity loss, what about the loss you didn't get to see?
The rated range shown is very accurate to how far I can drive at 65-70 MPH unlike the guess-o-meter. Hey, this ain't no stinkin' Leaf!
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:00 am

Stoaty wrote:
Valdemar wrote:Ok, so there is no user visible capacity loss, what about the loss you didn't get to see?
The rated range shown is very accurate to how far I can drive at 65-70 MPH unlike the guess-o-meter. Hey, this ain't no stinkin' Leaf!
Like it or not but capacity loss happened, you just don't see it because Elon hid it well from you. As crappy as Leaf batteries are, at least we don't hear about a Leaf fire every 2-3 months.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

EVDRIVER

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:29 am

Valdemar wrote:
Stoaty wrote:
Like it or not but capacity loss happened, you just don't see it because Elon hid it well from you. As crappy as Leaf batteries are, at least we don't hear about a Leaf fire every 2-3 months.
Hid it, how? I had an S with 50K miles and the loss was completely insignificant. The car was driven in high temps and used SC almost exclusively even in the desert. The fires are nonsense FUD, you don't hear about LEAF fires because there are so few LEAFs out there and you can't drive one into a wall at 120 either. Emulate the same situations in a LEAF and you won't even need to worry about about a fire you will be dead on impact. Do it in an ICE and you will get the same result. If you drive a Tesla you will see how incredibly accurate the range meter is and how much FUD is just that.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:14 am

Everyone said I was daft to get a Tesla. but I got one all the same, just to show them. I'm actually on my 4th S. My first sank into the swamp and then caught fire. So I got a second. That sank in the swamp and caught fire, too. The third caught fire first, and then I pushed it over into the swamp for insurance fraud. But the fourth one hasn't caught fire. That's the one my son will inherit, even though it has capacity loss that Elon has hid from me.
Last edited by jlv on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
82K 100% BEV miles since '14
ICE free since '18

Valdemar

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:18 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
Valdemar wrote:
Stoaty wrote: The rated range shown is very accurate to how far I can drive at 65-70 MPH unlike the guess-o-meter. Hey, this ain't no stinkin' Leaf!
Hid it, how? I had an S with 50K miles and the loss was completely insignificant. The car was driven in high temps and used SC almost exclusively even in the desert. The fires are nonsense FUD, you don't hear about LEAF fires because there are so few LEAFs out there and you can't drive one into a wall at 120 either. Emulate the same situations in a LEAF and you won't even need to worry about about a fire you will be dead on impact. Do it in an ICE and you will get the same result. If you drive a Tesla you will see how incredibly accurate the range meter is and how much FUD is just that.
The fact that user reported Tesla degradation is much lower than that the typical cell experiences from just sitting on a shelf w/no cycling simply indicates that the capacity losses are well buffered. I suppose that is all that matters for an end user but it is naive to believe and state there is no capacity loss. The buffer is likely sized to just get through the 8 year warranty (some 60kWh models had shorter warranty if memory serves, i.e. smaller buffer, also the fact Tesla refuses to extend original battery warranty on CPO purchases is a hint), with that it will be interesting to see how things pan out in the next couple of years after the first gen warranty expires. As for fires, yes I am skeptical it is a wide-spread issue with Tesla, but the fact Tesla is using more reactive chemistry in their cells is widely known, so there must be something to it.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo

9kW Solar

EVDRIVER

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:58 am

Valdemar wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
Valdemar wrote:
The fact that user reported Tesla degradation is much lower than that the typical cell experiences from just sitting on a shelf w/no cycling simply indicates that the capacity losses are well buffered. I suppose that is all that matters for an end user but it is naive to believe and state there is no capacity loss. The buffer is likely sized to just get through the 8 year warranty (some 60kWh models had shorter warranty if memory serves, i.e. smaller buffer, also the fact Tesla refuses to extend original battery warranty on CPO purchases is a hint), with that it will be interesting to see how things pan out in the next couple of years after the first gen warranty expires. As for fires, yes I am skeptical it is a wide-spread issue with Tesla, but the fact Tesla is using more reactive chemistry in their cells is widely known, so there must be something to it.
No one says there is no loss but it is very low in most cases. Buffering? Please explain how they do this because I can see my pack capacity and that did not happen it's not a Volt.

Valdemar

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:05 am

How can you see your pack true capacity? There is always an inaccessible portion of the battery capacity called a buffer, oversized initially. Capacity losses shrink the buffer first, then when the excess of the buffer is gone capacity losses must come from the user-accessible part of capacity that directly translates to reduced range. I always thought it was EV 101.
'11 SL, totaled

9kW Solar

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”