GRA

Re: 2018 launch Audi E-tron BESUV. Official thread?

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:00 pm

GCC:
2019 Audi e-tron SUV is the first BEV to earn 2019 IIHS Top Safety Pick+ rating
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/0 ... etron.html
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:06 pm

I have one.

We have done a trip to Cannon Beach, over 500 miles round trip, plus some side trips. Charged at Lacey both going and coming, as 250+ miles isn't realistic.

Oh, there are things I don't like about the car, starting with the cost, the charging port location and the crazy nav system that tells me where to find the next gas station. Things I love include high seating, comfort, space for the wheelchair, and the etron is about the only EV that would work for us.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

PrairieLEAF
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2019

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:35 am

I just saw this e-tron ad on TV and loved it! It squarely and cleverly takes aim at EV criticisms and misconceptions.

"Not for you"

https://youtu.be/OyrnezIxiKA
2016 LEAF S-30 w/QC "Lexie"

Astros
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2018
Leaf Number: 310136

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:17 pm

WetEV wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:06 pm
I have one.

We have done a trip to Cannon Beach, over 500 miles round trip, plus some side trips. Charged at Lacey both going and coming, as 250+ miles isn't realistic.

Oh, there are things I don't like about the car, starting with the cost, the charging port location and the crazy nav system that tells me where to find the next gas station. Things I love include high seating, comfort, space for the wheelchair, and the etron is about the only EV that would work for us.
Would you mind elaborating on why you bought the e-tron instead of the Leaf Plus? From what I've seen the e-tron seems better than the Leaf in almost every way (except efficiency..), but it's so much more expensive that we couldn't really consider it when we got our new Leaf. What persuaded you? I'm currently thinking of getting one used in a few years, but I might try to get one earlier if I can find a good lease deal.
2019 Deep Blue SL Plus

WetEV

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:49 pm

Astros wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:17 pm
Would you mind elaborating on why you bought the e-tron instead of the Leaf Plus? From what I've seen the e-tron seems better than the Leaf in almost every way (except efficiency..), but it's so much more expensive that we couldn't really consider it when we got our new Leaf. What persuaded you? I'm currently thinking of getting one used in a few years, but I might try to get one earlier if I can find a good lease deal.
Easy. I can't fit my knee into the LEAF Plus. Couldn't consider it with my long legs.

Oh, and I made a mistake. Let the wife sit in one, they are very comfy. She was sold.

I'm happy we bought it. Checkbook would like to express another opinion.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

Astros

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:12 pm

WetEV wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:49 pm
Easy. I can't fit my knee into the LEAF Plus. Couldn't consider it with my long legs.

Oh, and I made a mistake. Let the wife sit in one, they are very comfy. She was sold.

I'm happy we bought it. Checkbook would like to express another opinion.
I went to look at one in person on Tuesday, and took a test drive. That is a very comfortable car! The efficiency looked pretty bad though: the displayed average was 2.2 *km*/kWh, though I imagine short test drives with people testing out the acceleration have something to do with that. I believe you've mentioned driving over the pass on I-90 and back with range to spare, so I imagine you're regularly getting much better mileage than that?
2019 Deep Blue SL Plus

WetEV

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Astros wrote:
I went to look at one in person on Tuesday, and took a test drive. That is a very comfortable car! The efficiency looked pretty bad though: the displayed average was 2.2 *km*/kWh, though I imagine short test drives with people testing out the acceleration have something to do with that. I believe you've mentioned driving over the pass on I-90 and back with range to spare, so I imagine you're regularly getting much better mileage than that?
That is impressively low mileage.

I'm getting 2.4 m/kWh (3.9 km/kWh) on the long term average, which I have yet to reset in the car. Slightly more on longer trips, slightly less in town, which is the reverse of the LEAF. I'm puzzling on that difference.

Longest trip with one charging stop was 290 miles. Longest leg was 160 miles.
WetEV
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

Astros

Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:13 pm

WetEV wrote:

I'm getting 2.4 m/kWh (3.9 km/kWh) on the long term average, which I have yet to reset in the car. Slightly more on longer trips, slightly less in town, which is the reverse of the LEAF. I'm puzzling on that difference.

Interesting, it sounds like the bigger battery and lower efficiency cancel out compared with the Leaf Plus. The charging speed is still much better, though, so it would still be faster on long trips. When I was in the car I tried out the navigation system (which seemed pretty slick, I liked the way you wrote on the lower screen to enter text), and it thought you could do the drive I took last month from Seattle to Ashland in just over 9 hours. So, a bit over an hour faster than the Leaf. If I had extra money, I would be very tempted to get one.
2019 Deep Blue SL Plus

GRA

Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:57 pm

WetEV wrote:
Astros wrote:

I'm guessing it's the weight difference. Around town, a lighter car's going to have a big advantage, using a lot less energy to accelerate. While a heavier car gains more regen AOTBE, that's never 100% efficient. On the road, it's all about drag, with weight being a lot less important.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

WetEV

Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Astros wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:13 pm
Interesting, it sounds like the bigger battery and lower efficiency cancel out compared with the Leaf Plus. The charging speed is still much better, though, so it would still be faster on long trips. When I was in the car I tried out the navigation system (which seemed pretty slick, I liked the way you wrote on the lower screen to enter text), and it thought you could do the drive I took last month from Seattle to Ashland in just over 9 hours. So, a bit over an hour faster than the Leaf. If I had extra money, I would be very tempted to get one.
Bigger battery and lower efficiency give somewhat less range than the LEAF Plus. The charging speed at 150kW and higher power (mostly) EA stations is fairly awesome.

The navigation system has some slick parts, but I suggest not using it for planning longer trips. It finds charge stations you can't use, and doesn't correctly identify rate of charging at some (non-EA?) stations. Supposedly there is a big update coming soon.

Something like this trip? Adjust endpoints to suit.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_u ... f7ac67363b
WetEV
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”