Kia Niro BEV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y__pprqMcIo

Let's give the Kia Niro BEV its own thread.

If Kia can produce a BEV with the same high quality as its other vehicles, about the same size of the LEAF, but with the about the same range and efficiency of the smaller Bolt, I think many buyers will find it very attractive.

Especially if the Niro price undercuts both Nissan and GM...

It will hit the market "later this year" according to the concept intro below:

KIA presents Niro EV Concept with 238 Miles Range | CES 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZJbkNo3LGM

Kia Niro EV concept at CES: 238 miles of range from 64-kwh battery

It's well known that a battery-electric version of the Kia Niro will join the lineup soon, completing a range that now comprises the Niro Hybrid and the recently launched plug-in hybrid.

Most observers had assumed the Niro EV would use the same underpinnings as its corporate sibling the Hyundai Ioniq Electric, just as the pair of hybrids does.

But perhaps not.

Kia said Monday the Niro EV Concept on display at the Consumer Electronics Show uses an entirely new 64-kilowatt-hour battery pack—and would be rated at 238 miles of range.

It made the statement at the launch of the Kia Niro EV Concept at a press event held at the huge CES event in Las Vegas...
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1114635_kia-niro-ev-concept-at-ces-238-miles-of-range-from-64-kwh-battery

Please place comments on the PHEV Niro on its thread, below:

Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid (and BEV ?) CUV
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21313&hilit=kia+niro&start=10

edatoakrun said:
If Kia can produce a BEV with the same high quality as its other vehicles, about the same size of the LEAF, but with the about the same range and efficiency of the smaller Bolt, I think many buyers will find it very attractive.

Well, they already make the Soul EV and it does exactly this (well, not range, but quality EV like their other ICE cars that buyers find attractive). The Niro is a second generation car for Kia, and looks like a nice step forward. Congratulations to Kia.

I went to a car show in town today hoping to see a new Leaf. Nissan didn't display one. My local dealer didn't have one. Since there were no Kias at the show and I've never seen a Niro in person I decided to drive to a Kia dealer.

One mile before it was another Nissan dealer and I decided to check them, and low and behold they had a new Leaf and I sat in it. I was pretty impressed,

I then went on to the Kia dealer and saw the Niro. It was just the regular Hybrid. The plug-in hybrid and electric are due out later. I liked it a lot. I liked the telescoping steering wheel gave me much more room than the Leaf.

If the EV Niro is a not a compliance car, and gets to market before the Leaf with a 200+ mile range, I might make the jump.

The Soul EV is still having issues with pack degradation and onboard charger failures in the 2018 cars. Let's hope the Niro starts fresh. If there are no production test vehicles on the road now, then we won't be seeing the BEV Niro for sale until after Christmas, if then. Otherwise I'd be interested.

Range report from Korea:

JejuSoul:

The N iro EV went on sale yesterday in Korea...

Interesting to see the comparison with the two versions of the N iro EV against the K ona EV

N iro EV LE 64kWh - 380km but K ona EV 64kWh - 490km
N iro EV ME 39.2kWh - 240km but K ona EV 39.2kWh - 300km

The K ona details are from here - https://www.hyundai.news/eu/feature/all ... -electric/

Those numbers for the K ona EV are not realistic. They are claimed to be WLTP. I have now seen the Korean range numbers for the 64kWh K ona.
They are 390km at 20C and 273 at -7C. Korean range numbers for the 64kWh N iro. are 380km at 20C and 270 at -7C.
http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=540&sid=cff219e6de922aae66d118a67da6358c&start=30

IMO, the 20 C range ratings above will probably be pretty close to EPA combined, when and if both BEVs are available for sale in the USA.

Official premiere in Korea.

I imagine the video is more informative if you understand Korean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=0ps-_V7X2pQ

Still the most likely candidate as the replacement for my 2011 LEAF, especially if it's available with the smaller pack (contrary to rumour) in the USA.

Looks like it would probably be a better family truckster than the heavily revised 2018-on LEAF, but it's hard to get too excited about such a generic looking BEV...
Kia reveals all-electric Niro EV at Busan Motor Show

Kia Motors has revealed its new Niro EV at the 2018 Busan International Motor Show today in Korea. With a range of 380 kilometers (236 miles)*, the all-electric Niro EV combines driving enjoyment with eye-catching design, and crossover utility with a zero-emissions powertrain.

In addition to the Niro EV, Kia Motors also unveiled two other vehicles at the Busan International Motor Show. The Kia SP Concept – first unveiled at the 2018 AutoExpo in India – makes its Korean debut, and hints at Kia’s future SUV design vision. The Kia Stinger GT Wide Body also makes its Korean debut, following its introduction at the 2017 SEMA show in Las Vegas in the USA.

Kia’s star of the Busan show, the Niro EV occupies a unique position in the market as an all-electric CUV (crossover utility vehicle). Intelligent packaging, high practicality, and a long-distance driving range mean the Niro EV offers fewer compromises than other electric vehicles. Buyers will also benefit from a range of EV-exclusive in-car technologies, new safety features, and stand-out exterior and interior design.

Han-Woo Park, President and CEO of Kia Motors Corporation, commented: “The Niro EV will be Kia’s second globally-sold electric vehicle, following the immensely popular Soul EV. It demonstrates the progress Kia has made in delivering comfortable, practical and fun-to-drive vehicles that lead the way in zero-emissions driving.”

Following the Busan Motor Show, the Niro EV will go on sale in Korea during the second half of 2018, and will be introduced to other markets in due course.

Futuristic design inspired by 2018 Niro EV Concept

Designed at Kia’s design centers in California, USA and Namyang, Korea, the Niro EV incorporates the practicality and appeal of a CUV in a sleek, aerodynamic body with subtly sculptured surfaces. The Niro EV demonstrates that, in seeking greater on-road efficiency, EV buyers need not sacrifice emotionally engaging design or crossover versatility. The Niro EV differentiates itself from the existing Niro Hybrid and Niro Plug-in Hybrid with a series of exclusive design features.

Taking inspiration from the Niro EV Concept unveiled at the 2018 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, the exterior of the Niro EV is based on a ‘Clean and High-tech’ design concept. Its futuristic and aerodynamic ‘tiger-nose’ grille features an integrated charging port, bearing a debossed Niro logo. Redesigned air intakes and new arrowhead-shaped LED daytime running lights combine with light blue trim highlights to make it stand out further.

In profile, the slim character line and tapered rear windows emphasize the car’s sleek profile, while allowing greater room for the Niro EV’s muscular wheel arches. The Niro EV rides on new five-spoke 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels with a diamond-cut two-tone finish, housing Kia’s regenerative braking system.

At the back, reshaped rear bumpers feature similar light blue highlights to those found at the front of the car, while new LED rear lights give the Niro EV its own light signature.

Modern interior with EV-specific technologies and crossover utility

Inside the Niro EV, the cabin combines a modern design with generous space and technologies that complement its zero-emissions powertrain. Revealed for the first time today, the interior of the Niro EV is differentiated from other Niro models with a range of new features and design elements. The dashboard features new light blue trim, echoing that of the exterior, while the design of the center console has been simplified to accommodate the car’s shift-by-wire drive selector – Kia’s first ‘dial’-style shift knob.

The Niro EV features a new mood lighting system, with subtle lighting illuminating both the center console and the shifter. Occupants can choose from six colors – white, gray, bronze, red, green, and blue. New high-gloss black and blue trim also lines the doors of the Niro EV, further enhancing the futuristic atmosphere of the cabin.

The Niro’s 7.0-inch touchscreen HMI (human-machine interface) remains at the center of the dashboard, but has been updated to offer a series of EV-specific features. The new infotainment system enables owners to locate nearby charging points and monitor the level of charge and range remaining from the battery pack. The instrument cluster – a 7.0-inch color-LCD display – is also unique to the Niro EV, enabling the driver to intuitively check driving and EV powertrain information on-the-move. The redesigned center console also creates more storage space at the base of the dashboard for smaller items – including a wireless smartphone charger. A lamp is integrated into the top of the dashboard, with a light displaying whether the battery pack is recharging or fully charged when plugged in. This enables owners to quickly see the car’s charging status at a glance from outside the car.

When the Niro was first launched in 2016, its new platform had been engineered to accommodate a variety of advanced powertrains. Now launched with a battery-electric powertrain, the Niro EV offers greater practicality and versatility by design than many other EVs.

Its 2,700-mm wheelbase ensures all occupants can enjoy generous legroom, while space and a sense of roominess is boosted by its crossover design. Its body is 1,805 mm wide and 1,560 mm tall, ensuring maximum head- and shoulder-room throughout the cabin. At 4,375 mm in length, it offers more cargo space – 451 liters (VDA) – than many other plug-in and electric vehicles.

380-kilometer driving range from next-generation all-electric powertrain

The Kia Niro EV has been designed to merge its sporty, crossover-inspired design with long-distance, zero-emissions driving ability and enjoyable performance. It achieves this with a next-generation electric vehicle powertrain, using new production technologies earmarked for Kia EVs.

Equipped with a high-capacity 64 kWh lithium-polymer battery pack, the Niro EV will be able to drive more than 380 kilometers (236 miles) on a single charge with zero emissions. Plugged into a 100 kW fast charger, it takes 54 minutes to recharge the Niro EV’s battery to 80%. Buyers will also be to specify their Niro EV with an optional 39.2 kWh lithium-polymer battery pack, with a range of up to 240 kilometers (149 miles) from a single charge.*

Power is provided to the front wheels through a 150 kW (204 ps) motor, producing 395 Nm torque from a standstill, enabling the Niro EV to accelerate from 0 to 100 kph in just 7.8 seconds. The battery pack is located low down in the body, beneath the trunk floor, giving the CUV a center of gravity more akin to that of a sedan or a hatchback, ensuring maximum stability – and driving enjoyment – on winding roads.

Advanced Driver Assistance Systems

Matching the next-generation nature of its powertrain, the Niro EV offers drivers a range of Kia’s ‘Advanced Driver Assistance Systems’, supporting drivers in various environments and driving scenarios to mitigate the risk of collisions.

Active safety systems available in the Niro EV include Forward Collision Warning with Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist, Smart Cruise Control with Intelligent Stop & Go, and Lane Following Assist. Lane Following Assist is a ‘Level Two’ autonomous driving technology which tracks vehicles in front of the car in traffic, and detects road markings to keep the Niro EV in its lane on the highway. The system controls acceleration, braking and steering depending on the convoy of vehicles in front, using external sensors to maintain a safe distance. Lane Following Assist operates between 0 and 130 kph...
https://www.kianewscenter.com/news/kia-reveals-all-electric-niro-ev-at-busan-motor-show/s/53eb65ef-3296-4371-b714-eb59e0602f4e

"In profile, the slim character line and tapered rear windows emphasize the car’s sleek profile, while allowing greater room for the Niro EV’s muscular wheel arches. ". Feh.

agree it's a totally tapioca look, but like the interior size (only slightly smaller than the Leaf, which is better than the Bolt), range, and 80kW charging rate. Won't have the pep of a Bolt but hopefully won't have the degradation of a Leaf either. Hope these come out sooner and in larger numbers than I've been trained by now to expect!

VTLeaf said:
agree it's a totally tapioca look, but like the interior size (only slightly smaller than the Leaf, which is better than the Bolt)...
Interior...slightly smaller than the Leaf?

I sat in the PHEV, and IIRC, found it slightly roomier and with better rear hatch access than my LEAF, and much bigger and with much more usable space inside than a Bolt.

I don't get the Niro and Kona BEV's textured front grills.

When you drive I-5 through the rice fields of the North Sacramento Valley in the Spring, the clouds of bugs form a thick paste something like peanut butter with wings and legs, on the front of every car.

I can't imagine cleaning the front of one of these is going to be anything less than a major PIA...

edatoakrun said:
I don't get the Niro and Kona BEV's textured front [i said:
grills.[/i]
Probably an attempt to reduce the airflow wake over the rear of the car:

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/aerodynamics/q0215.shtml

However when the dimples are filled with bug stuff it will definitely reduce the affect .

That looks awesome! Love the creative/open cargo space up front, and the **regen paddles** on the steering wheel!

I've been considering a Bolt to replace our Leaf, but might hold out for this even if it's a year or two, based on the slightly better cargo space (more horizontal, less vertical) and especially the better/more conventional interior. Don't love the exterior styling of either but coming from a 13 Leaf well... obviously not my first priority.

Hope they are able to make this in larger numbers, and sooner, than what Hyuandai is doing with the Ioniq and Kona.

Kia's US website now has a page dedicated to the 2019 Niro EV: https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/vehicles/upcoming-vehicles/2019-niro-ev

It says "The all-new 2019 Kia Niro EV has debuted internationally, expanding upon the Niro model family of hybrid crossovers and is set to arrive in the US at the end of 2018.1 This highly-anticipated electric vehicle has an electric motor that provides an estimated 201 horsepower and 291 lb-ft. of torque."

Clicking on the disclaimer associated with that statement leads to: "1. Expected availability winter 2018 in select markets in limited quantities."

Hurry up and make these, Kia! I've decided I just can't get excited enough about the Bolt to buy one.

As someone who was seriously looking at the Mitsubishi PHEV I'm very leery of someone first saying "end of 2018" and then following it up with "winter of 2018".........which is easily changed to spring of 2019 and eventually summer of 2019...... :(
I hope I'm wrong, but don't say that you not in CARB states waiting for one of these, weren't warned....... :)

Not even just CARB states in this case. The Ionic at least was limited to just California (and maybe Oregon?) when it was finally released here, and may still be only sold there.

jjeff said:
As someone who was seriously looking at the Mitsubishi PHEV I'm very leery of someone first saying "end of 2018" and then following it up with "winter of 2018".........which is easily changed to spring of 2019 and eventually summer of 2019...... :(
I hope I'm wrong, but don't say that you not in CARB states waiting for one of these, weren't warned....... :)

100% agree! The Outlander was of course on the far end of the spectrum, but this isn't my first rodeo so I automatically add a few months mentally. That said the big question is how many they'll make and where they'll ship them. I'm not expecting particularly good news in either of those, but could be surprised. It's a nice car.

Via IEVS, Bjorn Nyland has posted a couple of videos on the Niro BEV. The first is on the interior features and space:
Watch Bjorn Test Out Kia Niro EV
https://insideevs.com/bjorn-test-kia-niro-ev-video/

and the second on a road test:
Bjorn Drives Kia Niro EV 310 Miles On A Charge
https://insideevs.com/bjorn-kia-niro-ev-310-miles-video/

Average speed was 90km/h (56 mph) and he was showing 11 km (6.8 miles) remaining on the GoM after 500.2 km (310.8 miles), so range at U.S. highway speeds will be a fair amount less. I'd say you're probably looking at 160-180 + reserve, much like the Bolt when driven by a typical driver.

I like it!
They got so many things right: console/shifter (similar to Leaf)/dash (digital speed)/variable charging (like Tesla)/cargo space (is that like a "secret" storage hole?). Plus lots of range; I will keep my eye on this one.

Stanton said:
I like it!
They got so many things right: console/shifter (similar to Leaf)/dash (digital speed)/variable charging (like Tesla)/cargo space (is that like a "secret" storage hole?). Plus lots of rage; I will keep my eye on this one.
I feel much the same way, but with the Koreans there's always the driving dynamics which they still haven't figured out, plus the lack of AWD is a real problem for a car in this category. Still, I'm definitely going to test drive one.

Back